Shoutbox

Utorrent- port forwarding problem - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Utorrent- port forwarding problem (/showthread.php?tid=71388)

Utorrent- port forwarding problem by Rolando on 02-04-2007 at 10:51 PM

I can't get it to do the port-forwarding.

Markee, WDZ and Felu tried to help me but we were unable to solve the issue.

I've done everything on www.portforwarding.com and also tried to do it in the modem.

If anyone can help, please do PM me.

This is what is on the modem page.. (where we tried to do the port-forwarding after doing everything else and it was not working)

Virtual Server Configuration

ID | Public Port - Start | Public Port - End | Private Port | Port Type | Host IP Address

I think the problem is on what to put on host IP address, Felu said I should put my static IP but that didn't work. There's also two more options: TCP or UDP

If anyone has any ideas (even if it has nothing to do with the modem but is something you did and made your port-forwarding work..) or wants to try to help me, please pm me.

Thanks a lot and sorry if you don't care :blah!:

I've got Linksys WRT54GS v2.1 and Corecess 3115 ADSL Modem

:zippy:
RE: Utorrent- port forwarding problem by Voldemort on 02-04-2007 at 11:08 PM

bah... i tried to forward it for a long time... it didnt work... yet i have upnp thingo enabled... i resigned to downloading without it :P

edit: its upnp... so that programs can open the port as they need.... or something similar...
did you follow the guide that appears in utorrent?

RE: Utorrent- port forwarding problem by Rolando on 02-04-2007 at 11:19 PM

unpnp?...

RE: Utorrent- port forwarding problem by prashker on 02-04-2007 at 11:22 PM

UPnP, Universal Plug And Play

Enable it if you can't forward ports (should be right under the port section of uTorrent)

RE: Utorrent- port forwarding problem by Rolando on 02-04-2007 at 11:26 PM

The instructions on www.portfordwarding.com says it should be unchecked (disabled) to allow port-forwarding ^o)

RE: Utorrent- port forwarding problem by Nagamasa on 02-04-2007 at 11:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by q25

I have the same router as you, and I used to use Utorrent. I just left it as is and its fine...

So I think it should be OK without it.
RE: Utorrent- port forwarding problem by prashker on 02-04-2007 at 11:28 PM

http://www.google.ca/search?q=define%3AUPnP

Alternative.

RE: Utorrent- port forwarding problem by WDZ on 02-04-2007 at 11:36 PM

So let me get this straight... your modem acts as a router? So you're really connecting to the net via two routers? Each device has its own port-forwarding settings?

RE: Utorrent- port forwarding problem by Rolando on 02-04-2007 at 11:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
quote:
Originally posted by q25

I have the same router as you, and I used to use Utorrent. I just left it as is and its fine...

So I think it should be OK without it.

Are you sure you had port-forwarding? :dodgy:

I can still download stuff through utorrent, I just can't get it to download it as fast as it would if I had port-forwarding :zippy:
RE: Utorrent- port forwarding problem by kao on 02-05-2007 at 06:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by q25
I think the problem is on what to put on host IP address, Felu said I should put my static IP but that didn't work. There's also two more options: TCP or UDP
Shouldn't you put your LAN address? :undecided:

You need to forward those ports to your machine on your network.
RE: Utorrent- port forwarding problem by Adeptus on 02-05-2007 at 07:46 AM

q25,

The DSL modem you have can be configured to function as a router -- and probably is.  WDZ is correct in noting that you have "stacked" two routers; that is not a good idea, precisely because it breaks UPnP port forwarding and makes manual forwarding difficult.

I imagine the reason for the Linksys router is wireless access and you probably don't want to just take it out, so there are three options: 

1) You can forward the port on both the Corecess and Linksys;  on the Corecess device you will forward to the address it assigns to the Linksys, on the Linksys you will forward to the LAN IP of your computer.  If it sounds complicated, that's because it is -- that is why this type of setup is bad.

2) You can try to disable the NAT router that is built into the Corecess device and appropriately reconfigure the Linksys router.  You will probably have to Google up some instructions for that.

3) You can set up the Linksys router to just act as a wireless access point and bypass its router portion.  The only setting you need to change to make that happen is turn off the Linksys router's DHCP server; after doing that, move the cable going to the modem to one of the numbered LAN ports -- not the WAN port where it is right now. 

Note that with this last solution you may still need to forward the port on the Corecess modem if for some reason that doesn't happen through UPnP.

RE: Utorrent- port forwarding problem by ShawnZ on 02-05-2007 at 08:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus

2) You can try to disable the NAT router that is built into the Corecess device and appropriately reconfigure the Linksys router.  You will probably have to Google up some instructions for that.

The way i did this with my modem was simply taking out my PPP username and password and telling it to not connect to the internet. My router had the option to connect for the modem, so I used that, and then I was able to port forward (and use upnp properly.) Maybe you can do something similar.
RE: Utorrent- port forwarding problem by Rolando on 02-05-2007 at 12:32 PM

Thanks guys. I'll try this as soon as I get home, that is, if my internet is fixed (I killed it yesturday trying to do this :undecided:) Now my 198.xx.xx (can't remember) forwards me to the linkyss site (as it did) but the 10.0.0.2 (or something like that) forwards me to the linkyss site too, instead of the corecess like it used to do :dodgy:

RE: Utorrent- port forwarding problem by Rolando on 02-06-2007 at 10:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
q25,
3) You can set up the Linksys router to just act as a wireless access point and bypass its router portion.  The only setting you need to change to make that happen is turn off the Linksys router's DHCP server; after doing that, move the cable going to the modem to one of the numbered LAN ports -- not the WAN port where it is right now. 

Note that with this last solution you may still need to forward the port on the Corecess modem if for some reason that doesn't happen through UPnP.

I was thinking of trying that. But I don't know which cable you mean I should move.

Sorry for double posting and sorry for bumping guys.