Shoutbox

Windows Live Messenger Sound Problem - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Windows Live Messenger Sound Problem (/showthread.php?tid=71422)

Windows Live Messenger Sound Problem by leachim on 02-05-2007 at 10:48 PM

I have WLM 8.1 and have problems receiving sound. Sometimes it is OK, but more often than not all I get is a loud hissing noise from my speakers. It is not feedback. This also happened with 8.0 I think, which is why I was told to upgrade, but now have been told 8.1 is a beta version !!

Windows firewall is off, but there is a firewall in the Netgear Router I believe which came with AOL

Video works OK both ways and my recipients can hear me - Just need to fix this problem - HELP

I have XP sp2

Mike
UK

RE: Windows Live Messenger Sound Problem by Chris4 on 02-05-2007 at 10:54 PM

Well, you can download the final version, released a week ago (8.1.0178.0) here (source: www.mess.be).

You might want to check Windows Update for updates and drivers, etc.

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger Sound Problem by leachim on 02-06-2007 at 08:24 AM

[size=1][/size][size=2]

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Well, you can download the final version, released a week ago (8.1.0178.0) here (source: www.mess.be).

Hi Thanks for that

The version I already have is 8.1.0178.00

So I assume that is OK ?

Anything else to do ?

Mike

RE: RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger Sound Problem by Chris4 on 02-06-2007 at 05:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by leachim
[size=1][/size][size=2]
quote:

Hi Thanks for that

So I assume that is OK ?

Anything else to do ?

Mike

- Check Windows Update.
- Tried saving the sounds, then playing them?
- Anything that you do in particular that could be causing this, or is it just random 'now and again' ?
RE: RE: RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger Sound Problem by leachim on 02-06-2007 at 06:29 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by leachim
[size=1][/size][size=2]
quote:

Hi Thanks for that

So I assume that is OK ?

Anything else to do ?

Mike

- Check Windows Update.
- Tried saving the sounds, then playing them?
- Anything that you do in particular that could be causing this, or is it just random 'now and again' ?

OK

I have done a windows update.

The sound is ok for, say, 1 or 2 minutes, then all of a sudden comes this loud hissing sound - which then comes and goes - people can hear me, but I cannot hear them when this noise is on....

Mike

RE: Windows Live Messenger Sound Problem (Loud Hissing noise) by archieZA on 05-19-2007 at 07:10 AM

Hi Mike

I have exactly the same problem.  Heres what I'v found out.  The problem is not with your machine.  Its with your contact's PC. After getting that loud hissing noise, i remotley took control of my friends PC and ran the audio/video tunning wizzard.  During the microphone test, His was in the red and the wizzard just turned the mic volume right down to zero.  I don't as yet have a solution but here is the hardware he is using (Realtek HD audio sound car, Logitek Webcam).  I have updated the drivers but still no luck.  I have searched Microsoft's KB but came up with nothing.  We have tried a microphone from a headset (to elliminate feedback), a desktop microphone and the built in microphone in the logitek camera and still the same problem. 

If anyone has any ideas please let me know
Its driving us mad!!!!

archieZA