Shoutbox

P2P Software? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: P2P Software? (/showthread.php?tid=71434)

P2P Software? by WaqasTariq on 02-06-2007 at 01:50 PM

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me which P2P client is the best? I am using 'Lime Wire' right now and thinking of getting a pro of it (is it any use getting a pro?)

What are my choices?

I have also used the free "Shareaza" it gave me a lot of search hits but no good download speeds...

Which one's can I turn to?

RE: P2P Software? by Felu on 02-06-2007 at 01:54 PM

Get the pro version off Lime Wire basic [Image: refuck.gif].

And P2P applications considered to be illegal. Not allowed on the forums :wink:.

RE: P2P Software? by Thor on 02-06-2007 at 01:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by waqastariq

Can anyone please tell me which P2P client is the best? I am using 'Lime Wire' right now and thinking of getting a pro of it (is it any use getting a pro?)

Well, I use e-Mule for small things (like litte .txt or .nfo files) but you can use it for big things aswell. The good thing is that things usually never leaves, you can find it for ages.

For high-speeds, I use uTorrent (BitTorrent protocol) which I find nice  and simple, it's awesome for large files, like movies, songs, etc. Speeds on BitTorrent can be extremely high. :) But you can find old things aswell, but the more popular, the faster.

Hope this helped you.

Maybe some links?
uTorrent
eMule

RE: RE: P2P Software? by WaqasTariq on 02-06-2007 at 02:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Felu
Get the prp version off Lime Wire basic [Image: refuck.gif].

PRP version? :s  didnt get you?

quote:
And P2P applications considered to be illegal. Not allowed on the forums :wink:.

But they arent illegal, are they?
RE: P2P Software? by Eddie on 02-06-2007 at 02:06 PM

quote:
But they arent illegal, are they?
They are illegal if downloading copyrighted items.

RE: P2P Software? by Thor on 02-06-2007 at 02:07 PM

quote:
Get the prp version off Lime Wire basic [Image: refuck.gif].

Wrong, using P2P clients isn't illegal.
However, downloading copyrighted content without permission, that is illegal.
RE: RE: P2P Software? by WaqasTariq on 02-06-2007 at 02:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shadow
They are illegal if downloading copyrighted items.

I am looking for old Indian songs, (30-40 year back) I think they wont have copyright on them anymore, as most of the new artists are making remixes of them
RE: P2P Software? by Thor on 02-06-2007 at 02:12 PM

quote:

I am looking for old Indian songs, (30-40 year back) I think they wont have copyright on them anymore, as most of the new artists are making remixes of them
Well, what you do with it isn't really our business.
P2P applications aren't illegal, so what you do with it, is your choice.
RE: P2P Software? by WaqasTariq on 02-06-2007 at 02:12 PM

On the topic... is 'Lime Wire' worth buying to 'PRO' 18.88$

Or there is some good opensurce alternative...

about uTorrent and eMule I visited there sites but they dont say if they carry spyware or not I think this means they do????

RE: P2P Software? by Thor on 02-06-2007 at 02:14 PM

quote:

about uTorrent and eMule I visited there sites but they dont say if they carry spyware or not I think this means they do????
None of them carry ANY ad-ware, spyware at all.

And I could have said anything about LimeWire PRO, but my post would probably be deleted. All I say is; not worth it, actaully LimeWire basic isn't worth it either.
RE: P2P Software? by Eddie on 02-06-2007 at 02:14 PM

quote:

Not worth buying PRO when there are other ways to get it free, and there are better programs out there anyway, i've only used Morpheus and BitTorrent. Both fairly good programs.

RE: RE: P2P Software? by WaqasTariq on 02-06-2007 at 02:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nitro
None of them carry ANY ad-ware, spyware at all.

And I could have said anything about LimeWire PRO, but my post would probably be deleted. All I say is; not worth it, actaully LimeWire basic isn't worth it either.

So which one is good then?
RE: P2P Software? by Thor on 02-06-2007 at 02:17 PM

quote:
So which one is good then?
tbh, both.

As I said, they each has their own features,and each protocol has it's "betterness" than the other one.

Of course, you can try whatever you want, but I use those and really like them.
RE: P2P Software? by Felu on 02-06-2007 at 02:17 PM

Lime Wire Pro can be download off Lime Wire basic. Meant Pro there. It was a type :$. Btw my dad has many old indian songs. I could too give you some :P.

RE: P2P Software? by Eddie on 02-06-2007 at 02:19 PM

quote:
Lime Wire Pro can be download off Lime Wire basic. Meant Pro there. It was a type :$. Btw my dad has many old indian songs. I could too give you some :P.
yeah it can be, but sometimes can come out dodgy, but there is a website i use, dunno if i can post it here so i wont bt yeah (Y)
RE: P2P Software? by Mike on 02-06-2007 at 02:29 PM

Get FrostWire
Exact same thing with LimeWire Pro, except that it's free, and it has a different skin.

But, I don't really like the Gnutella network, so, I suggest that you try another P2P program like DC++.
The only downside is that you usually need to share 5GB or 10GB or even 15GB to connect to most of the hubs.
There are also other hubs that require more GBs to share, or require no files to be shared.
Give it a try :)
There is no spyware in it.

RE: P2P Software? by joey on 02-09-2007 at 10:17 AM

i use morpheus, it uses the same server thingy as limewire but its a lot faster and i get better results. but i suppose it's different for everyone.

RE: P2P Software? by callmegarfield on 02-09-2007 at 10:34 AM

I use LimeWire PRO (Which i got for free), and if there's something i can't find on that i use E-Mule (which is a royal pain in the gluteus maximus), and for bigger things like movies, games, and albums, i use BitComet!

RE: P2P Software? by ryxdp on 02-09-2007 at 10:18 PM

Frostwire - for the freeness (no nag screen like LW basic)

-or-

uTorrent/BitTorrent/whatever it's called - for fast speeds I think (I'm about to get it now, so I may edit this when I find out how good it is :P)

IMHO you might wanna go for both...:)

RE: P2P Software? by Chocolatino on 02-09-2007 at 10:34 PM

we can argue about the spyware and stuff but i know i have at least once using limwire and E-mule not only got the wrong thing (because people change the name's) but also got a few unwanted bugs on the side so you have to be careful and have caution whene downloading from P2P Software (i recomend having an unti-viruse first of all) as people have access to the files and do what they wish to them.

I recomend Ares, But thats just me.

RE: P2P Software? by ryxdp on 02-10-2007 at 04:10 AM

there is a guide to unsafe file sizes on the Gnutella network, I can tell you one is 0.0KB, but can't remember any more. It is available as a text file (*.txt) which you can get from any client that uses the Gnutella system. I think it also tells you an incomplete (obviously) list for unsafe IP's, so if you choose Gnutella, search for unsafe, sizes, virus, etc. .txt files can't (well shouldn't, really) harm your computer as they're just .txt's. ;)