Shoutbox

Major tabbed chats bug - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: Major tabbed chats bug (/showthread.php?tid=71648)

Major tabbed chats bug by deAd on 02-12-2007 at 12:15 AM

I have been experiencing a fairly rare but major bug with tabbed chats. Every once in a while, I open a second chat window and get this:

[Image: 010926_sshot-1.png&text=The+tabs+are+completely+blank.]

Both chats are visible as normal in the taskbar:

[Image: 011319_sshot-2.png&text=The+names+have+b...anked+out.]

The tabs show on both chat windows and can be clicked on as normal. The only fix is to restart messenger.

RE: Major tabbed chats bug by markee on 02-12-2007 at 03:15 AM

I've had this 3 or 4 times but could not reproduce it.  It all fixes up if you close the chat you just opened and re-open it.  Also I found it was only when you clicked on the new chat tab, but if you click to an old one it looks as though it is fixed.  I never had it show multiple chats, though I think you are running Vista where I'm running XP which may be the reason for that :S

RE: Major tabbed chats bug by vikke on 02-12-2007 at 11:02 AM

I've experienced this once, it kinda crashed my Messenger. :(

RE: Major tabbed chats bug by deAd on 02-12-2007 at 11:48 PM

I'm running XP and the latest Plus!, and for me it only fixes when I restart messenger :-#...also, I don't know if this is related but sometimes after I close a chat window with that problem I can't reopen it, and the "Exit" item on the tray menu doesn't work :P

RE: Major tabbed chats bug by deAd on 03-03-2007 at 09:07 PM

Bump...it still hasn't been fixed in version 4.20...

EDIT: Screenshots seem to be down in the first post.

RE: Major tabbed chats bug by vikke on 03-03-2007 at 10:09 PM

Many wierd things happen on your computer, ever thought of reinstall Windows? Might help for most of the problems.

RE: Major tabbed chats bug by Cool Fruits on 03-04-2007 at 12:08 AM

Good Idea Vikke. Yes this does happen but for all the negatives in tabbed chats (im using them right now :P) the positives outway them. The more memory you have spare the less problems you'll get with tabbed chats. Also if your opening a large program like Paint Shop Pro your tabbed chats will blank out while all memory is used to help open up PSP. ;)

RE: RE: Major tabbed chats bug by deAd on 03-04-2007 at 03:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vikke
Many wierd things happen on your computer, ever thought of reinstall Windows? Might help for most of the problems.

No they don't...where'd you think of that from o.o?
RE: Major tabbed chats bug by Hank on 03-04-2007 at 03:29 AM

quote:
reinstalling Windows is not always the answer to fixing up Problems that are in other software
RE: Major tabbed chats bug by Cool Fruits on 03-04-2007 at 06:44 AM

Doesn't really sound like a problem. Tabbed chat uses software scripting that doesn't come already with WLM therefore it can contain bugs. And well if its comming from an add-on i.e MPL then its relying on that not WLM.

RE: RE: RE: Major tabbed chats bug by vikke on 03-11-2007 at 08:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by deAd
quote:

Maany SP3 problems for example :P
RE: RE: RE: RE: Major tabbed chats bug by deAd on 03-11-2007 at 08:36 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by deAd
quote:

Maany SP3 problems for example :P

I don't have any SP3 problems :P

Btw, this bug is still really annoying :sad:
RE: Major tabbed chats bug by flim on 03-19-2007 at 05:46 PM

Once you minimize your tabbed chats (2 or more) by pressing Alt+Tab you can't restore the chat window, it doesn't even show up!!

RE: Major tabbed chats bug by Patchou on 03-19-2007 at 11:45 PM

Can you take a screenshot of the chat window that exibits the problem?

RE: RE: Major tabbed chats bug by deAd on 03-19-2007 at 11:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Can you take a screenshot of the chat window that exibits the problem?

I'll have to take another one next time it happens (it's not always), the one in the main thread seems to have gone down :sad:
RE: Major tabbed chats bug by markee on 03-19-2007 at 11:54 PM

Patchou, see the attached picture for a screenshot I took ages back of the same thing.

RE: Major tabbed chats bug by deAd on 03-20-2007 at 12:00 AM

No, not the same at all :P

The tabs show up but there's no icon or text inside of them, and they work as normal. However, the taskbar buttons for each window are still present and if I close a chat window it won't open again, and its tab is not removed from the tab bar.

RE: Major tabbed chats bug by markee on 03-20-2007 at 12:04 AM

Sorry, im sure i remembered the pictures looking very similar to mine :s

RE: Major tabbed chats bug by Patchou on 03-20-2007 at 06:13 PM

markee: the problem you show in your screenshot is suppsoed to be fixed in version 4.20 actually :).

RE: Major tabbed chats bug by markee on 03-20-2007 at 08:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
markee: the problem you show in your screenshot is suppsoed to be fixed in version 4.20 actually :).
Thanks, explains why I havent seen it again :grin:
RE: Major tabbed chats bug by Dimitrakopulos on 10-28-2008 at 08:42 PM

Yet, I see now that nobody came up with a solution to deAd's problem. That's awful for me cos I wasted ALL day trying to fix the exact same problem deAd has talked about here.

Ima explain in basic terms>>

- You open up a conversation window.
- You close it, may it be by clicking the X button of the window, or pressing Esc, matters not.
- Technically, the window no longer exists, since the computer doesn't recognize it in any way functional, or present.
-> It still remains stuck on the Windows taskbar (down there where all the programs in progress are shown, to be clear). -_-
- You may click and open another conversation window with another contact or with the same one-- doesn't matter: whatever you do it will keep the bugged one as bugged as it is, and still open the new ones.

As to clarifying the bugged window that ruined my day, with details>>
- It's always there no matter if you right-click it and say "close all tabs" or open the Task Manager and go "end task".
- It doesn't show or pop out anything on the screen when clicked-- that's how I understand it has no functionality as a program.
- It causes another bug to occur: doesn't show what you last spoke with your contact on a new convo window, just the last words spoken right before this bug has occured. Albeit this graphical error, it randomizes a chance about whether it will save your chat log or not, meaning, sometimes it keeps chat logs as normal and sometimes it does not.
- You can only get rid of the non-existent window off the task bar by completely terminating the respective WLM session (including right-clicking and saying "exit" at the systray).

My PC's Technical Stuff>>

- My CPU, HDD, Motherboard, RAM and all other parts are just fine and efficient for both WLM and MPL.
- WLM: Latest available (not beta).
- MPL: Latest available (don't even know if there is a beta).

Already Tried and Didn't Fix a Thing>>

- Uninstall and re-install both WLM and MPL.
- Change Plus prefs' tab options
-> Cancel tabbed chatting, re-enable it.
-> Change tab properties
To be clear: none of the above has done anything positive.

----

Did I mention that I've wasted all day over this?

GOD!

... Please, if you care about anything in life at all, help. -_-
RE: Major tabbed chats bug by ahmetgns on 10-28-2008 at 10:56 PM

Dimitrakopulos, today I noticed the same problem after installing the MessengerDiscovery update (1.5.800). If I disable tabbed chats of Messenger Plus!, there is no problem anymore until I re-enable it. Do you have Messengerdiscovery's this latest version?

RE: Major tabbed chats bug by Dimitrakopulos on 10-29-2008 at 02:57 PM

I do have Messenger Discovery also, yes; on the "About" page it only says "1.5", no detailed numbers, but it should be the last version as far as I can tell, it's set to automatic updates anyway.
And yes there's no problem if you simply cancel tabbed chattin, but I need tabbed chatting :/

You know, I thought about they could block each other's way somehow, MPL and MD. You think it's that? If so how can I fix it? Maybe an option in one of the two does something to create this bug or something like that. But I don't know, nor am I someone to examine a program's options, I need help please.

By the way here's a ss:
(You may click the bugged, non-existent tabs, they aren't really present and thus the click will do nothing.)

RE: Major tabbed chats bug by Dimitrakopulos on 10-29-2008 at 03:10 PM

Besides all that I forgot to add that, unlike deAd, restarting WLM or many things I tried so far don't fix nothing.

RE: Major tabbed chats bug by ahmetgns on 10-29-2008 at 03:18 PM

You can check the build number of your Discovery version from the buttom of its About window.

What you can all do to prevent this problem is disabling tabbed chats of Plus as I did so :( . I reported this problem to NeutralizeR, the Turkish translator of MessengerDiscovery and he said that the developer had been informed about the case and he would fix it asap. That is it for now, I will wait for an update and continue using seperate chat windows for a while.

RE: Major tabbed chats bug by Dimitrakopulos on 10-29-2008 at 04:09 PM

Thank you ahmetgns for your interest. And as I checked my MD build is 800.

----

It wouldn't be such a problem to me to use separate windows till it's fixed.

However, it still does this:

quote:
It causes another bug to occur: doesn't show what you last spoke with your contact on a new convo window, just the last words spoken right before this bug has occured. Albeit this graphical error, it randomizes a chance about whether it will save your chat log or not, meaning, sometimes it keeps chat logs as normal and sometimes it does not.
And I love my chat logs -_-

So I don't know what to do here. Any ideas how to fix the logging prob? I could stick with the no-tabs deal till a solution comes out no problem, if it kept chat logs properly :/
RE: Major tabbed chats bug by matty on 10-29-2008 at 05:11 PM

Without Messenger Discovery it works fine. With Messenger Discovery it doesn't... seems like something needs to be fixed with Messenger Discovery not Messenger Plus!...

RE: Major tabbed chats bug by ahmetgns on 10-29-2008 at 05:32 PM

Well, now I started considering uninstalling this update of Discovery and installing the previous version. Because now I noticed that, even if you disable tabbed chats for Plus!, Discovery's this bug still prevents chat windows closing internally which means that you don't see the chat window when you close it but WLM still thinks that it is open :S hence it doesn't save the conversation in that window, because WLM saves the conversation while closing the window. Since, there is no way of closing those windows other than exiting Messenger itself, so your conversations after installing Discovery haven't been saved at all by WLM.

A similar problem appears for logging option of Plus!. Although Plus! saves the conversation more recently without the need of closing windows, when you close and reopen the chat window for the same contact, it creates a new file blabla@hotmail.com (2). And this goes on for every reopening the chat window.

RE: Major tabbed chats bug by matty on 10-29-2008 at 05:46 PM

As I said. Messenger Discovery bug not Plus!.

RE: Major tabbed chats bug by Dimitrakopulos on 10-30-2008 at 07:45 PM

ahmetgns, good observation, it fraks-up the logs exactly like that. so today I did what I see now matty here has said-- delete MD.

Well, sorry, not to sound as a kiss-up but Plus! obviously has better features than it. So goodbye MD till you don't bug MPL.