Shoutbox

PHP RPG - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: PHP RPG (/showthread.php?tid=71676)

PHP RPG by Spunky on 02-12-2007 at 03:56 PM

I started making an RPG script for someone (guess who it was... :p), but seeing as I no longer have access to the internet, I can't test it and have to write it in notepad *-)

So, I've given up on that idea and have started writing one in PHP on a MUCH larger scale (that may possible one day be able to interact with a script :p).

I've got most of the ground-work done for it (databases for users, enemies, race, occupation, items, weapons along with login system and basic navigation. I've even got a "skills" system set up for individual stats).

I need help with ideas for things and I need artwork so if anybody wants to help... I'm testing it all on my PC at the moment, but will put it onto a proper server for closed testing when I think it's ready.

As I'm still learning PHP at the minute (it's not too disimilar to other languages though) it might not be ready as soon as I'd like.

Let me know what you think anyway... It's input from others that makes me try to improve whatever it is I'm working on and I have nobody I can get ideas from :s

RE: PHP RPG by prashker on 02-12-2007 at 04:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
I started making an RPG script for someone (guess who it was... :p)

me ;D?

quote:
but seeing as I no longer have access to the internet, I can't test it and have to write it in notepad

OH NELLAYS ;o.
quote:
So, I've given up on that idea and have started writing one in PHP on a MUCH larger scale (that may possible one day be able to interact with a script :p).

hot. :cheesy:
quote:
I've got most of the ground-work done for it (databases for users, enemies, race, occupation, items, weapons along with login system and basic navigation. I've even got a "skills" system set up for individual stats).

Cooleh cooleh :D.
quote:
I need help with ideas for things and I need artwork so if anybody wants to help... I'm testing it all on my PC at the moment, but will put it onto a proper server for closed testing when I think it's ready.

gif86 rocks at pictures, maybe he can help with artwork :p?
Depends like what you need, as I am good in abstractish things in photoshop if you need :p.

Ideas, you remember my ideas right :p?

A shop :p.
Maybe battles ;o.

And more when I think of some :o.
quote:
As I'm still learning PHP at the minute (it's not too disimilar to other languages though) it might not be ready as soon as I'd like.

Well good luck learning :).
quote:
Let me know what you think anyway... It's input from others that makes me try to improve whatever it is I'm working on and I have nobody I can get ideas from

It rocks :D. Can't wait wait wait wait wait! =D.

;o

* prashker thinks of a basic situation

SonicSam walks into a tree and loses 10HP.
SonicSam enters store.

--Store--
Potion (Restores 10HP)
Mana Potion (Restores 10MP)
MAGICAL NAZI HAX SWORD (lol Strength + 5)

or something along the lines of that or what you think :p

Just an example ^ :D

edit: Also, got an idea, maybe if you refer someone to sign up if there is a signup system, have it level up the referer ;o.
RE: PHP RPG by John Anderton on 02-12-2007 at 04:23 PM

Oh jeez. rpg addicts. For SonicSpam's sake those hormones better kick in asap :sad:

RE: PHP RPG by vaccination on 02-12-2007 at 05:00 PM

Sounds good, i'd like to help, but my artwork sucks. ideas? i'll have a think. Meh, any other i can help, ask, i'm happy to help test or anything =P

RE: PHP RPG by Spunky on 02-13-2007 at 12:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
SonicSam thinks of a basic situation:

SonicSam walks into a tree and loses 10HP.
SonicSam enters store.

--Store--
Potion (Restores 10HP)
Mana Potion (Restores 10MP)
MAGICAL NAZI HAX SWORD (lol Strength + 5)

or something along the lines of that or what you think

Just an example ^

edit: Also, got an idea, maybe if you refer someone to sign up if there is a signup system, have it level up the referer ;o.

I'm going to TRY and make it quite funny like that... I don't want just an ordinary RPG where everything is serious ¬_¬

As for the referel system, I'll just add a little box on the signup page. I need to add validation to the signup form anyway and check for duplicate usersnames etc.

Battles are definately going to be in the game, but I'm undecided whether to do it with pure PHP or to do it using flash (if I can get someone to animate all the enemies and characters =/ )

The shop needs to be set up, but I've started making items useable. Got a wierd little PHP/MySQL error at the moment meaning that using items has no effect.

Aside from little bugs (and Dreamweaver being a complete tit), it's not going too bad. I just need to make more items, weapons, enemies and locations.

PM me with ideas for those...

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton

Oh jeez. rpg addicts. For SonicSpam's sake those hormones better kick in asap

Nope. I don't normally play RPGs, but it seems to be a good all round way of learning several new languages at once

RE: PHP RPG by Mike on 02-13-2007 at 12:38 PM

quote:
but seeing as I no longer have access to the internet, I can't test it and have to write it in notepad (Smilie)
Install apache (or lighttpd) and php (and mysql if you need it) in your computer and test it there? :P
quote:
but I'm undecided whether to do it with pure PHP or to do it using flash (if I can get someone to animate all the enemies and characters =/ )
Use pure php so that other users can play with their mobile phones :P

RE: PHP RPG by Spunky on 02-14-2007 at 02:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Install apache (or lighttpd) and php (and mysql if you need it) in your computer and test it there?

I already use phpdev :p Thats how I can make it at the moment.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Use pure php so that other users can play with their mobile phones

Good point I might consider making a seperate WAP version that uses same databases as I'm using frames atm.

This is a preview of a part of the game so far and a section of the PHP I've written for it: (Click for larger)
[Image: progress.png]
RE: PHP RPG by Nathan on 02-15-2007 at 06:16 PM

Looks great so far :)

RE: PHP RPG by prashker on 02-15-2007 at 08:17 PM

quote:
I'm going to TRY and make it quite funny like that... I don't want just an ordinary RPG where everything is serious ¬_¬

Okies ;o.
quote:
This is a preview of a part of the game so far and a section of the PHP I've written for it: (Click for larger)

Lol, I dont understand all that complicated stuff :cheesy:

quote:
Battles are definately going to be in the game, but I'm undecided whether to do it with pure PHP or to do it using flash (if I can get someone to animate all the enemies and characters =/ )

Pure PHP > Flash

Flash is not good :(.
quote:
As for the referel system, I'll just add a little box on the signup page. I need to add validation to the signup form anyway and check for duplicate usersnames etc.

Ok thats good enough :p.

Anyways, if you need a server thing to eventually start testing it online, SonicSam.Net is Available for you :p.

Will post or PM if I get new ideas ;o.
RE: PHP RPG by WDZ on 02-15-2007 at 08:25 PM

Do I see SQL injection vulnerabilities? :o

http://php.net/security.database.sql-injection
http://php.net/mysql_real_escape_string

:P

And how can you stand coding without syntax highlighting? [Image: deadbanana.gif]

RE: PHP RPG by Nathan on 02-15-2007 at 08:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Do I see SQL injection vulnerabilities? :o

http://php.net/security.database.sql-injection
http://php.net/mysql_real_escape_string

:P

And how can you stand coding without syntax highlighting? [Image: deadbanana.gif]
Yeah get notepad++ it pwns.

btw if you need hosting then i have 250GB and 4TB of bandwith to use up.
with mysql db and all of that shiz :cheesy:
And i have another 2 servers i could put it on for you :P
RE: PHP RPG by -dt- on 02-15-2007 at 09:07 PM

ugh and also you can use different types of quotes eg

what you're doing

code:
echo "<a href=\"$i\"></a>";

you could just change the html attributes quotes to '

code:
echo "<a href='$i'></a>";

:D no messy escaping stuff then =p

also you do know you can stop php parsing and start it again right?

code:
<?php
if(isset($_POST['submit']) && $_POST['submit']){
?>
<form>
...input stuff...
</form>
<?php
}
?>

RE: PHP RPG by Nathan on 02-15-2007 at 09:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
ugh and also you can use different types of quotes eg

what you're doing

code:
    echo "<a href=\"$i\"></a>";

you could just change the html attributes quotes to '

code:
    echo "<a href='$i'></a>";

(Smilie) no messy escaping stuff then =p

Yay i do something right xD

Oh and even though -dt- has a point.
Only escape stuff if you've copied a lot of html code with " in it otherwise dont use them :)

RE: PHP RPG by WDZ on 02-15-2007 at 09:19 PM

Ewww... single quotes... :(

I never knew that was valid XHTML until I Googled it just now... :dodgy:

RE: PHP RPG by John Anderton on 02-17-2007 at 09:49 AM

I thought it wasn't possible to write messier code than dt. I was clearly wrong :sad:

RE: PHP RPG by Spunky on 02-20-2007 at 02:54 PM

EDIT: and aside from everything below... remember, I'm a coding noob :p

The escaping quotes was from the first book I was reading to learn PHP. The guy escaped EVERY quote rather than using different types (The book was poop anyway ¬_¬). I usually use single quotes for strings and double quotes for HTML stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
also you do know you can stop php parsing and start it again right?
Yeah, but I don't want to keep using closing and opening tags when there isn't really an absolute need for it.

As for the MySQL stuff, I've not done anywork to validate stuff yet, and it's all using the root user until I get everything else sorted first (I can change it later *meh*).

Almost finished with all the foundations of it anyway now... Still got to build the shop and just add to the weapons, enemies, locations and stuff :p Then I'll make stuff neater ;)

Heres some more little shots of it (it's all PHP so far with one little thing in javascript):
[Image: s%5Fshot1.png] [Image: s%5Fshot2.png] [Image: s%5Fshot3.png]

As you can see... the pictures are pretty crap, so if anybody wants to help :p
RE: PHP RPG by prashker on 02-20-2007 at 08:15 PM

COOLIES :cheesy:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quote:
Almost finished with all the foundations of it anyway now... Still got to build the shop and just add to the weapons, enemies, locations and stuff (Smilie) Then I'll make stuff neater (Smilie)

Okies :).
RE: PHP RPG by Mike on 02-20-2007 at 09:24 PM

Looking great so far :)
Can't wait to try it out!