Shoutbox

"Contact list transparency" option does not work - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: "Contact list transparency" option does not work (/showthread.php?tid=71694)

"Contact list transparency" option does not work by ozRocker on 02-13-2007 at 12:36 AM

I'm trying to make my vapor image seen by making the contact list transparent.  When I use Messenger Plus! Live to set the transparency for the Contact List, it makes the whole Messenger window transparent against the Windows desktop.  Is this a bug or just badly worded?  Maybe it should say "Messenger Transparency" instead.

RE: "Contact list transparency" option does not work by Supersonicdarky on 02-13-2007 at 12:54 AM

its supposed to be the whole messenger window...

and its not badly worded because the main window is called the contact list...

RE: "Contact list transparency" option does not work by MicroWay on 02-13-2007 at 01:00 AM

Hello!!!
Just 2 things:
-> What versions of WLM and Plus! do you have?
-> Sorry but what you mean by "whole Messenger"?
Because, as far as I know, if you set the trasparency, ALL the contact list will be more/less transparent (depending on your config)... But other things, like contact window or contact card will not be transparent.
;)

RE: "Contact list transparency" option does not work by ozRocker on 02-13-2007 at 02:08 AM

I'm using WLM 8.1 with Plus! 4.11
From what I can see my Messenger interface consists of 2 sections: the DP section (box that contains display pic, nick and personal message) and the contact list section (box that contains a list of contacts).  I assumed the "Contact List Transparency" option would only affect the 2nd section but it actually affects both as well as the vapor image underneath it, which is why I said it affects the whole Messenger interface.

RE: "Contact list transparency" option does not work by Voldemort on 02-13-2007 at 02:11 AM

It is intended to work that way...

RE: "Contact list transparency" option does not work by markee on 02-13-2007 at 02:13 AM

This is because the whole window is more commonly known as the contact list.  It would be too difficult (if not impossible) to make only part of the window transparent I'm sorry to say.  I hope this gives you the clarification you were after.

RE: "Contact list transparency" option does not work by ozRocker on 02-13-2007 at 03:08 AM

This person has managed to make a skin that has a transparent "contact list"

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/32823793/

It only seems to work for Live Messenger 8.0 tho, not 8.1.  Did something change in Live Messenger 8.1 that makes this impossible to do?

RE: RE: "Contact list transparency" option does not work by deAd on 02-13-2007 at 03:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ozRocker
This person has managed to make a skin that has a transparent "contact list"

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/32823793/

It only seems to work for Live Messenger 8.0 tho, not 8.1.  Did something change in Live Messenger 8.1 that makes this impossible to do?

That'snot a transparent contact list, it's just a normal skin :/
RE: "Contact list transparency" option does not work by ozRocker on 02-13-2007 at 04:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by deAd
You are correct.  It is a skin with a transparent contact list meaning it is possible to have a transparent contact list to allow the vapor image to shine through in version 8.0 but I'm wondering if its possible in version 8.1.
RE: RE: "Contact list transparency" option does not work by deAd on 02-13-2007 at 04:11 AM

quote:
quote:
You are correct.  It is a skin with a transparent contact list meaning it is possible to have a transparent contact list to allow the vapor image to shine through in version 8.0 but I'm wondering if its possible in version 8.1.

That skin has no transparency! It's just a background image that gives an illusion of transparency. It is not possible to only make one part of the window transparent.
RE: "Contact list transparency" option does not work by ozRocker on 02-13-2007 at 04:42 AM

quote:
That skin has no transparency! It's just a background image that gives an illusion of transparency. It is not possible to only make one part of the window transparent.

So you're saying this person has set the contact list background to appear as part of the vapor image?  If that's the case, how do I change the background image for the contact list?
RE: RE: "Contact list transparency" option does not work by deAd on 02-13-2007 at 04:58 AM

quote:
quote:

So you're saying this person has set the contact list background to appear as part of the vapor image?  If that's the case, how do I change the background image for the contact list?

You can't; that background was built into the skin. You'll need to learn how to skin or get a custom skin made (don't know who'll do that though) if you want this.

EDIT: you can add a background image to the contact list by placing an image file named "lvback.gif" in the Messenger directory, but this is different than what you are looking for.
RE: "Contact list transparency" option does not work by ozRocker on 02-13-2007 at 05:11 AM

quote:
You can't; that background was built into the skin. You'll need to learn how to skin or get a custom skin made (don't know who'll do that though) if you want this.

EDIT: you can add a background image to the contact list by placing an image file named "lvback.gif" in the Messenger directory, but this is different than what you are looking for.

Yeh, I've been trying to learn skinning so I've been posting around the skinning forums aswell.

Actually, the lvback.gif was what I was looking for.  Thanks heaps for that tip!  There's still a few other things I wanna change like background colour and stuff but I think I'll leave that to the skinning forums.

Cheers mate!