Shoutbox

Valentines day, love it or hate it? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Valentines day, love it or hate it? (/showthread.php?tid=71732)

Valentines day, love it or hate it? by vaccination on 02-14-2007 at 08:17 AM

Basically, a discussion on weather you like Valentines Day or not, and why =P

My Initial input;

It's more of just a commercial 'holiday', all it's really doing is creating money for the company's that specialize in it. And it's kinda a big, long, sharp, stick in the eye for those without a loved one.

Plus, if you really loved you special someone, everyday would be 'Valentines Day', you would make every day a special day for them, why is it that we need a day to express our love for our boyfriends/girlfriends? Surely we can just do that on any day, because after all, we are supposed to love them.

Also, is their some sort of weird pressure type thing, that you HAVE to go out and do lots of nice things and spend lots of money of your boy/girl? Do we do it so we don't look bad and uncaring?

Now go, discuss =p

RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by Kenji on 02-14-2007 at 08:35 AM

I hate it. Mainly because i have never had anyone to spend it with. Just seeing people with their partners on Valentines day just makes me feel left out and lonely....

<Insert what I typed here and deleted.>

RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by aNILEator on 02-14-2007 at 08:40 AM

I'm alone this year but i wasted money in the past, :(

Last year i bought a limited edition replica of the corpse bride for my girlfriend at the time, a month later we split up :@ that thing cost alot

RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by alexp2_ad on 02-14-2007 at 09:50 AM

Meh, at the end of the day, it's really up to you how you celebrate Valentines day.  If you're with someone who forces you to spend lot's of money on them, then you're with the wrong person.

Free will for the win?

As for hating it because you're single... that's life. C'est la vie.

So I like Valentines day.  (but just because I'm not single ;) )

RE: RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by andrewdodd13 on 02-14-2007 at 10:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazmo
I hate it. Mainly because i have never had anyone to spend it with. Just seeing people with their partners on Valentines day just makes me feel left out and lonely....

X2.

Mind, I did actually send a valentines card this year, along with a rose. But that was just for fun. :)
RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by aNILEator on 02-14-2007 at 10:20 AM

i had to give girl advice to frenchford lol

RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by linx05 on 02-14-2007 at 10:54 AM

Why this day? Why do I have to do all this stuff to tell the girl I love/care for her?

If I did the same thing the week before, would I automatically have to do it again just because it is Valentines Day?

In my honest opinion, I hate it. It's a money making scheme. They up the prices on flowers and cards especially I've found. It's a load of crap. My girlfriend and I don't believe in it.

EDIT: I've been trying to find this video for over a day. This pretty much sums up how I feel about Valentines Day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtjGgD9bMsM

RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by stoshrocket on 02-14-2007 at 10:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by alexp2_ad
Meh, at the end of the day, it's really up to you how you celebrate Valentines day.  If you're with someone who forces you to spend lot's of money on them, then you're with the wrong person.

Free will for the win?

As for hating it because you're single... that's life. C'est la vie.

So I like Valentines day.  (but just because I'm not single ;) )

^ Pretty much how i feel... I'm lucky enough to have found someone and we are just right for each other... We dont get each other loads of gifts or buy into the whole commercial crap, we mostly draw for each other doing little quirky sketches... we've got an inside comic strip going on :P Although, saying that we still buy presents for each other, just not how say my friend deals with it.. 'oh i'm getting my gf this, and this, and this and this... oh and im gonna get her this as well.. gonna cost me loads, what're you getting?' And tbh we both bitch about them because all they do is waste (bit of a harsh word, but spend implies you're buying something you're going to keep for more than three days =p) money on each other...

Although saying that, we're spending today together so i guess you could say we still fall for the trap, but we're just spending it together, walking around and talking like usual...

</long-winded views>
RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by John Anderton on 02-14-2007 at 12:05 PM

I'm indifferent to it. Its like any other day for me. You can show your affection towards your loved ones any of the other 364 days too imo :P

RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by RaPLeX on 02-14-2007 at 12:09 PM

vaccination,add it to poll;

I'm not wasting my time :D

RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by Rolando on 02-14-2007 at 12:23 PM

I don't "love" it, nor do I hate it.

I don't mind it :)

RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by prashker on 02-14-2007 at 12:27 PM

My mom is my valentine :banana:, she does not need money from me :P.

(And also, please for anyone who was in IRC and saw my Copy Paste slipup with my conversation with my mom, dont post it :()

And I'll probably walk up to a random girl at school today and ask her :p.

RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by joey on 02-14-2007 at 12:31 PM

ive hated it every year becaus eive never been with anyone on valentines day but the girl im with now ive been with for a year now and for some reason i actually like valentines day, beacuse we buy each other things and it makes me feel special and loved.

but on the other hand it's just another reason for companies to take our hard-earned cash of us and make a big profit.

RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by Eddie on 02-14-2007 at 12:55 PM

Im not a very big fan of Valentines Day :\ altho its alright i guess but gotta say i Hate It :)

RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by haydos on 02-14-2007 at 03:44 PM

I think it's become commercial for sure - but that can be expected for any holiday...

For me, it's not a big deal. It can make a good conversation starter I suppose... that's the only use of it to me.

RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by hmaster on 02-14-2007 at 03:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Damokun
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
I'm indifferent to it. Its like any other day for me.
Yup.
x3 :).
RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by MeEtc on 02-14-2007 at 04:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by haydn
I think it's become commercial for sure
On top of that, I'm single ATM. Even if I wasn't I'm not gonna go all out on a special day to say 'I love you', what about the other 364.25 days in the year? You don't deserve anything then?

Best to spread out the love all year round, not just one day.
Thanks to Hallmark for making such a shitty holiday :notfunny:

RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by Thor on 02-14-2007 at 04:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hmaster

I think it's become commercial for sure

On top of that, I'm single ATM. Even if I wasn't I'm not gonna go all out on a special day to say 'I love you', what about the other 364.25 days in the year? You don't deserve anything then?

Best to spread out the love all year round, not just one day.
Thanks to Hallmark for making such a shitty holiday (Smilie)
I'm gonna say I agree, it's a normal day, made into something it really isn't

Just another cube on my calendar.
RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by saralk on 02-14-2007 at 04:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
I'm indifferent to it. Its like any other day for me. You can show your affection towards your loved ones any of the other 364 days too imo
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Plus, if you really loved you special someone, everyday would be 'Valentines Day', you would make every day a special day for them, why is it that we need a day to express our love for our boyfriends/girlfriends? Surely we can just do that on any day, because after all, we are supposed to love them.
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
quote:
Originally posted by Nitro
I'm gonna say I agree, it's a normal day, made into something it really isn't

Most people live really hectic lives, and don't have the time, nor the funds to splash out with expensive meals, holidays and other things every day of the year.

So Valentines day serves as a day where couples who can set aside and really do something romantic.

Of course they can do it on any other day of the year, but if you have a job, live a hectic lifestyle, and don't have too much disposable income, as most people do, then it is a nice "excuse" to splash out on your loved one.

Without Valentines day, people wouldn't have this excuse and so they would probably never do something overly romantic.

RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by Vimto on 02-14-2007 at 04:55 PM

I'd love to be spending today with the one I love but thats never gunna happen, I was stupid and ended it for reasons that werent even plausible. I guess you leanr from your mistakes :\ I wont be doing that ever again. So tonight Im babysitting while mum and stepdad go out |-) Wu!

RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by FrozenDaggers on 02-14-2007 at 05:00 PM

I feel sad today.

RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by Oxy on 02-14-2007 at 05:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by FrozenDaggers
I feel sad today.
normal dady for me, apart from the fact i've got my new monitor and computer up and running... =]
RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by M73A on 02-14-2007 at 07:34 PM

valentines day rocks! whats the point in money if yur not gonna spend it? spend it on a computer? or spend it on something to make the one you love happy? ....

RE: RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by FrozenDaggers on 02-14-2007 at 07:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
valentines day rocks! whats the point in money if yur not gonna spend it? spend it on a computer? or spend it on something to make the one you love happy? ....

You don't need to spend money to make someone happy.
RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by Voldemort on 02-14-2007 at 09:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
It's more of just a commercial 'holiday', all it's really doing is creating money for the company's that specialize in it. And it's kinda a big, long, sharp, stick in the eye for those without a loved one.

exactly...
i broke with GF :P

RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by M73A on 02-14-2007 at 09:20 PM

quote:

i know, i never said you had to, it was in reply to the 'I'm not wasting my money!' option... if it makes someone happy, its not a waste
RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by user27089 on 02-15-2007 at 07:53 AM

Well it's nice if you have somebody to spend it with.

quote:

That's completely true, someone barely spent over £3 on me, but the presents they've got have had a lot of thought put into them and I really appreciate that :). It's one of the nicest gifts i've ever had.
RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by rix on 02-15-2007 at 08:23 AM

Hm, i actually don't hate it, but i ain't fan of this day either. I just don't see why everybody should appreciate their friends exactly on this day. Why not to celebrate on the 19th March or on 23rd November?

RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by joey on 02-15-2007 at 09:56 AM

i had a great valentines day, really romantic and everything. i just hope she doesn't finish me now because i spent about £70 on her when we went out and ive got no money for food or anything for this week!

RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by markee on 02-15-2007 at 10:39 AM

When will people realise that gifts from the heart that take thought and care are far more important than those that were just bought because "thy might like it...".  Something as small as a poem written by you should be enough to bring such great joy for the inside and not just a hug and a smile.

I see no point in spending lots of money when you can give your love and devotion.

RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by M73A on 02-15-2007 at 10:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
When will people realise that gifts from the heart that take thought and care are far more important than those that were just bought because "thy might like it...".  Something as small as a poem written by you should be enough to bring such great joy for the inside and not just a hug and a smile.

I see no point in spending lots of money when you can give your love and devotion.

or why not do both, money buys a night out in a restaurant, cinema tickets etc... and for thoughtful, you could do something like make a photo album with stuff from the past year of the two of you... (what i did)

why the hell is everybody just bashing spending money on people you love? it doesn't make you shallow, its just nice, and if you want to do it, why should anti-materialism stop you.
RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by linx05 on 02-15-2007 at 11:09 AM

If you really love her, send her this: http://www.fat-pie.com/love.htm

RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by linx05 on 02-16-2007 at 05:12 AM

So is love my friend, so is love.

RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by joey on 02-16-2007 at 09:54 AM

i dont spend money on her just so she likes me i do it because i like her. its hard to explain really lol

RE: Valentines day, love it or hate it? by Nagamasa on 02-19-2007 at 12:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by linx05
Why this day? Why do I have to do all this stuff to tell the girl I love/care for her?

If I did the same thing the week before, would I automatically have to do it again just because it is Valentines Day?
quote:
Originally posted by rix
Hm, i actually don't hate it, but i ain't fan of this day either.
x2
quote:
Originally posted by markee
When will people realise that gifts from the heart that take thought and care are far more important than those that were just bought because "thy might like it...".
Completely true!
quote:
Originally posted by haydn
I think it's become commercial for sure - but that can be expected for any holiday...
Not Canada Day...or Labour Day (but then, does Back to School stuff count for it?)...