Shoutbox

Windows vista home ultimate, yes or no - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Windows vista home ultimate, yes or no (/showthread.php?tid=71792)

Windows vista home ultimate, yes or no by Nathan on 02-15-2007 at 07:37 PM

quote:
Ok,
This will sound very very very very very weird to you butttt I am wanting to buy a legit copy of vista: Windows Vista Home Ultimate.
I want opinions on the people who have it and what do i lose compared to Windows Vista Ultimate.
I asked my mum to buy it (£150) and she likes the idea and before i let her buy it I want opinions from my fellow forum pixels :P
Do I get windows aero with this one?
and will my laptop work ok on it (512MB gc, 2.0ghz x2, 2GB of ram)

Second thing:
I have vista rc2 installed on my laptop, but then i reinstalled xp and it overwrites the boot.ini for vista. How can i fix it so it gives me options to boot up for vista (And let me do it)

Thanks
Nathan

(quoted from http://nathans-hosting.com/forum)
thanks again

RE: Windows vista home ultimate, yes or no by MeEtc on 02-15-2007 at 07:42 PM

if you want to edit the boot.ini to dual boot both versions, I assume you have both versions still installed.
you probably have something like

code:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin
where partition(1) might be something different
to add a boot option, you should only have to add a copy of whatever line you have in YOUR boot.ini and change the partition number and OS name
RE: Windows vista home ultimate, yes or no by Zahid™ on 02-15-2007 at 07:43 PM

There is no Windows Vista home ultimate only windows vista ulitmate and windows vista home premium/ home basic. If you're getting ultimate you will get aero. For aero you need:

* a 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
    * 1 gigabyte of system memory
    * a DirectX 9 compatible graphics processor, with a Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) driver, and a minimum of 128 MB of Video RAM
    * 40 GB hard drive with 15 GB free space
    * DVD-ROM Drive
    * audio output and Internet access

And use Google.

RE: Windows vista home ultimate, yes or no by Mike on 02-15-2007 at 07:43 PM

It's called Home Premium not Home Ultimate :P

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
I want opinions on the people who have it and what do i lose compared to Windows Vista Ultimate.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windows...itions/choose.mspx

quote:
Do I get windows aero with this one?
and will my laptop work ok on it (512MB gc, 2.0ghz x2, 2GB of ram)
Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor

Your GC also needs to support Pixel Shaders 2 to support aero. (WVUA will tell you if it does)

About the boot problem, try booting with your vista DVD and enter the recovery console (i think it is Shift + F10 or something like that) and type "fixboot c:" and "fixmbr c:" :P
RE: Windows vista home ultimate, yes or no by Nathan on 02-15-2007 at 08:11 PM

I don't have the dvd thats the annoying thing

RE: Windows vista home ultimate, yes or no by Kenji on 02-16-2007 at 09:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Zahid™
If you're getting ultimate you will get aero
You also get Aero on Home premium, and buisness. Not just Ultimate.
RE: Windows vista home ultimate, yes or no by John Anderton on 02-16-2007 at 10:33 AM

quote:
Windows vista home ultimate
Home ultimate? wtf is that? :P
You have home basic (no aero), home pro (has aero) and ultimate (has everything!)

Buisness is good too as it has everything ultimate does except wmc (windows media center)
RE: Windows vista home ultimate, yes or no by Nathan on 02-16-2007 at 10:46 AM

Oh, read my reply at http://nathans-hosting.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=24&action=lastpost

i cbf to copy and paste :P

RE: Windows vista home ultimate, yes or no by Felu on 02-16-2007 at 10:50 AM

quote:
http://nathans-hosting.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=24&action=lastpost
*http://nathans-hosting.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=24&pid=171#pid171

Btw whats the problem in copying and pasting? Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V is so easy :sad:.
RE: Windows vista home ultimate, yes or no by xJ + on 02-16-2007 at 12:44 PM

I can't really give you the exact answer, what I can tell you is that, if you think it's worth th money then buy it, otherwise, don't.
btw, it's windows vista ultimate, not windows vista home ultimate. :tongue:

RE: Windows vista home ultimate, yes or no by High Speed Chaser on 02-16-2007 at 12:56 PM

now that I think about it I would only buy it if I got a new computer because XP is fine for me but I should have waited for Vista as I got my computer 7 months ago :blah:

If it was me I would get the Ultimate one as I'm a heavy computer user

RE: Windows vista home ultimate, yes or no by vikke on 02-16-2007 at 02:18 PM

Are you talking about Vista Home or Vista Ultimate?
Or is it some other version?

RE: Windows vista home ultimate, yes or no by absorbation on 02-16-2007 at 02:21 PM

Nathan has gotten confused with Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate. Basically he has messed up the words Ultimate and Premium. Can we stop these confused posts now?

RE: Windows vista home ultimate, yes or no by xJ + on 02-16-2007 at 02:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vikke
Are you talking about Vista Home or Vista Ultimate?
Or is it some other version?
quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
Nathan has gotten confused with Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate. Basically he has messed up the words Ultimate and Premium. Can we stop these confused posts now?
These are the only editions for Windows Vista:
Starter
Home Basic
Home Premium
Business
Enterprise
Ultimate

There's NO such thing call home ultimate. And home ultimate will NEVER exist.
RE: Windows vista home ultimate, yes or no by joey on 02-16-2007 at 03:20 PM

do a poll! and btw ive never heard of Windows Vista starter. or at least i dont believe they'll be selling that in england.

RE: Windows vista home ultimate, yes or no by xJ + on 02-16-2007 at 03:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ichooselife128
do a poll! and btw ive never heard of Windows Vista starter. or at least i dont believe they'll be selling that in england.
quote:
Originally posted by windowsvista.com comparison chart page

Windows Vista Starter
Windows Vista Starter is the most affordable way to enjoy the basic Windows Vista experience. Windows Vista Starter is exclusively* available in emerging markets, and is designed for a beginning PC user with additional tools and tutorials to make it easier to use. Read more.

*Note: Windows Vista Starter is not currently scheduled to be available in the United States, Canada, the European Union, Australia, New Zealand, or other high income markets as defined by the World Bank.

source
RE: Windows vista home ultimate, yes or no by joey on 02-16-2007 at 05:00 PM

oh lol

oh and btw http://www.windowsvienna.com/

RE: RE: Windows vista home ultimate, yes or no by vikke on 02-16-2007 at 09:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation

That's what I thought :P, so Nathan which one are you talking about ?
(I guess Ultimate :P)
RE: Windows vista home ultimate, yes or no by ShawnZ on 02-16-2007 at 09:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
About the boot problem, try booting with your vista DVD and enter the recovery console (i think it is Shift + F10 or something like that) and type "fixboot c:" and "fixmbr c:" (Smilie)

well first, there is no recovery console on the vista dvd, second, shift + F10 opens cmd.exe, not the recovery console, and only works after you've started installing, not at the beginning, and third, there's now a wizard that automatically finds out what's wrong in the setup =p

RE: Windows vista home ultimate, yes or no by vikke on 02-16-2007 at 09:30 PM

Mike means, you should boot your Vista DVD, press Shift + 10 to open a command line, and type "fixboot c:" and "fixmbr c:".

There should be this wizard, and this would hopefully help you out! :)

-vikke

RE: Windows vista home ultimate, yes or no by Voldemort on 02-16-2007 at 09:44 PM

Er.... no...... read shawnz's reply again :S...
@ Nathan, i've got ultimate and it is quite nice...

RE: Windows vista home ultimate, yes or no by Nathan on 02-16-2007 at 09:47 PM

I'm all confused oh well :P

And cool Voldemort