Shoutbox

power supply - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: power supply (/showthread.php?tid=71887)

power supply by NiteMare on 02-18-2007 at 05:38 PM

my computer keeps freezing up, and i think its the power supply, i think its not powerfull enough

when i look in speed fan, the 5Vsb: is 4.80V-4.90V

shouldn't it be at 5.00V? and is that the problem?

RE: power supply by Snake on 02-18-2007 at 06:15 PM

If it is the power supply you PC would just turn off. 4.80V-4.90V is where it should be at.

RE: power supply by MeEtc on 02-18-2007 at 07:15 PM

not necessarily snake.

NightMare, can you give any examples when your PC has died? are you accessing any disks at all? processor usage spikes? lots of graphics card usage?

RE: power supply by NiteMare on 02-18-2007 at 07:30 PM

its usualy 30 sec-5 minutes after i log on to windows and my desktop appers, then everything just frezzes

RE: power supply by MeEtc on 02-18-2007 at 07:33 PM

doesn't sound like a power problem then.

I have a problem where whenever I boot and auto-login, Win freezes sometimes too. What I do is press Ctrl-Shift-Esc to open task manager, and log out as soon as I can after booting, then log in normally from the login screen. works fine after that.

RE: power supply by NiteMare on 02-18-2007 at 07:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
doesn't sound like a power problem then.

I have a problem where whenever I boot and auto-login, Win freezes sometimes too. What I do is press Ctrl-Shift-Esc to open task manager, and log out as soon as I can after booting, then log in normally from the login screen. works fine after that.
well, oddly enoughi unplug my fans when i boot up and it actualy makes it through the start up, then once its stable, i plug them back in, and its still workin', so thats what led me to beleave its a PSU problem

(note:, i just unpluged the exaust fans, the HDD and cpu fans stay on),
RE: power supply by MeEtc on 02-18-2007 at 07:42 PM

:undecided: fans don't use a lot of power. If that's the case, then you're only JUST over the limit for your PS. try unplugging your CD drives and leaving whatever fans. If it still crashes, its a problem with the fans or power to them, not the PS.

How many watts is your PS anyway?

EDIT: another thing that just hit me is that fans operate at 12V, not 5V.
12V in a computer (yellow wires) are for anything that moves, and 5V (red wires) are for electronics.

RE: power supply by NiteMare on 02-18-2007 at 07:53 PM

i got a 450W power supply, and the +12V indicater in speedfan is at about 11.73V

RE: power supply by MeEtc on 02-18-2007 at 08:07 PM

:undecided:
Doesn't sound at all like a power problem

RE: power supply by Adeptus on 02-18-2007 at 08:19 PM

I would have to agree with MeEtc on this one.  4.8-4.9 volts is a very small difference and wouldn't cause a problem.  Also, keep in mind that motherboard's voltage reporting is not necessarily 100% accurate. 

Insufficient power usually doesn't cause freezing, but rather, random rebooting.

RE: power supply by Nagamasa on 02-18-2007 at 09:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
my computer keeps freezing up, and i think its the power supply, i think its not powerfull enough
Does it freeze like when you're surfing the net, all of sudden, your mouse doesn't respond, the clock stops ticking, and music gets stuck?

EDIT: (^)700 posts!(^)
RE: power supply by Dr4g0n on 02-18-2007 at 10:03 PM

A 450W power supply is sufficient to power most PCs, so I highly doubt that this is the problem.

RE: power supply by YottabyteWizard on 02-19-2007 at 08:49 AM

It doesnt sound like PSU problem to me either.

It sound to me like a GPU or RAM problem.

RE: power supply by vaccination on 02-19-2007 at 08:54 AM

Freezing up? It's most likely a RAM problem, how much have you got?

RE: power supply by Nagamasa on 02-19-2007 at 11:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Freezing up? It's most likely a RAM problem, how much have you got?
I have 1 GB.
RE: power supply by Dr4g0n on 02-19-2007 at 11:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
Try running memtest.

RE: power supply by Nagamasa on 02-19-2007 at 11:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dr4g0n
quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
Try running memtest.

I'm confused about the readme...I downloaded the Pre-Compiled Memtest86 v3.2 installable from Windows and DOS, but the readme only tells me what do do on a Linux...
RE: power supply by Dr4g0n on 02-19-2007 at 12:11 PM

You have to install it to a floppy disc and boot from it, the test can't be run whilst Windows is running as it needs exclusive access to the RAM.

RE: power supply by Jhrono on 02-19-2007 at 01:08 PM

Hey

memtest is great when you've changed RAM timings, clocks or voltages, but if you haven't done so (thus the memory is with default clocks etc etc) it most likely won't have a problem running memtest (I guess)..

Anyhow, try it, it's a good way to troubleshoot

RE: power supply by NiteMare on 02-19-2007 at 07:15 PM

another peice of information, that might help, is that i noticed, seconds (about 5-10) before everything frezzes in place, i notice a "click" from one of my hard drives, then a few scratching sounds, like the hard drive is being read from.

that click i've heard before and is usualy when the hard drive is first starting up (ie at boot up, or after the computer has idled for a while then you start using it again)

i've run the powermax hard drive tests on all my drives, as recommended by the maxor site(all 3 drives are maxors)

still don't know exactly whats going on, but maybe soembody else here does, based on that additional info