Shoutbox

math/excel - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: math/excel (/showthread.php?tid=71949)

math/excel by Supersonicdarky on 02-20-2007 at 03:51 AM

can someone check if the second thingy in there is right?

you enter x and y coordinates of two points and it gives you the slope (y=mx+b)

i'm not entirely sure i got b (y intercept) formula correct, can someone check?

ignore the other stuffs

also can .xls be allowed?

RE: math/excel by markee on 02-20-2007 at 04:03 AM

G16 should actually be "=G6-G15" or else you get the negative of it.  You could have checked this by actually making a graph and plotting the points to see that the y intercept had to be positive :tongue:

EDIT: The third thing seems to be an interest formula except I don't think you did it right, you should add the last value, not the initial value and the interest should be fixed (or just write it in the form of a geometric progression....).

RE: math/excel by Supersonicdarky on 02-20-2007 at 04:07 AM

i forgot i had a graphic calc [Image: msn_tongue.gif]

o well, thnx =]

edit:

this is a partner activity, and i did the first 2 parts and someone else did the 3rd. thnx for noticing, now i get to scold them tomorrow :cheesy:

also, how do i do the geometric thingy? i rarely use excel and hardly know how to do anything

RE: math/excel by markee on 02-20-2007 at 04:25 AM

For excel you should write "=$N3*1.01^R" but you will need to change the R for each (increase by one each time) and I even made it so you can put it into one and drag it across with ease too :cheesy:

EDIT: I should explain it to.... $N3 is you initial value, 1.01 is the interest rate and keeping the principle amount and you times that by the time interval as this is the same as just putting another *1.01 on the end to get the next interval.  If you do them individually and then substitute each equation in to the next then you would see exactly what I'm talking about.