Shoutbox

Odd 'official' smiley on WLM - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Odd 'official' smiley on WLM (/showthread.php?tid=71954)

Odd 'official' smiley on WLM by Mr. Bougo on 02-20-2007 at 12:12 PM

A friend of mine discovered some crazy hidden smiley (pretty hidden, heh, I couldn't find any info about this on the web)

It looks like this: [Image: wtfkf6.png]

It has a standard size (like every other official smiley)

The shortcut is "*mod" (without the quotes) (you can test it! tell me if it works... I use the last 8.1.0178.00 French version of WLM)

Odd, isn't it?

RE: Odd 'official' smiley on WLM by Oxy on 02-20-2007 at 12:13 PM

Not really, it's just a hidden emoticon which the live team intended to put in..

RE: RE: Odd 'official' smiley on WLM by Mr. Bougo on 02-20-2007 at 12:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by .OxY
Not really, it's just a hidden emoticon which the live team intended to put in..

Umm, I'd say it can't be anything else :p

I just wanted to share it, I had never heard about this one before...
RE: Odd 'official' smiley on WLM by Kenji on 02-20-2007 at 12:18 PM

see "any one know how to do the hidden emos".

RE: Odd 'official' smiley on WLM by Eddie on 02-20-2007 at 12:18 PM

Kinda old news...its for something like every Messenger Nickname its in Microsoft Donates a certain amount of money to a charity (cant remember which).

RE: Odd 'official' smiley on WLM by Felu on 02-20-2007 at 12:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by http://www.mess.be

SCOOP #2: Hidden emoticon in 8.1 for a good cause
dwergs says:

One important and worthy change in the just released Windows Live Messenger 8.1, is a new and currently still secret emoticon that will raise money for a good cause when used.

ninemillion emoticons in windows live messenger 8.1

ninemillion.org, a "UN Refugee Agency led campaign to raise awareness and funds for education and sport programs for refugee youth, many of whom are forced to spend years of their young lives away from home with little hope of returning." Microsoft partnered with them and will donate money for every Live search performed at this site until March 31st 2007. They also have special Windows Live Space about the agency and we just learned from Inky that Windows Live Messenger 8.1 is also involved in the fundraising. If you put one of the shortcuts below in your display name, Microsoft will contribute to ninemillion.org every time you start a conversation.

*sierra
*bgca
*9mil
*hsus
*komen
*one
*mssoc
*care
*acs
*oxfam
*mod
*help
*red+u
*unicef
*wwf
*naf

This has yet to be announced officially so we have no idea whether they're already tracking this, but if you already downloaded Windows Live Messenger 8.1.0178 it wouldn't hurt putting of these keyboard shortcuts in your nickname and start chatting :) Expect people wondering where you got the new emo from!

It's been two years since a new emoticon was introduced into Messenger, and this is a respectable way to do it! It's a bit like the nickname advertising that exists in China, but in a noble way.

UPDATE: If you right-click someone with the i'm emoticon, you'll see a new menu item called What is i'm that links to a yet unavailable website about the campaign.

RE: RE: Odd 'official' smiley on WLM by Mr. Bougo on 02-20-2007 at 12:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Felu
quote:
Originally posted by http://www.mess.be

SCOOP #2: Hidden emoticon in 8.1 for a good cause
dwergs says:

One important and worthy change in the just released Windows Live Messenger 8.1, is a new and currently still secret emoticon that will raise money for a good cause when used.

ninemillion emoticons in windows live messenger 8.1

ninemillion.org, a "UN Refugee Agency led campaign to raise awareness and funds for education and sport programs for refugee youth, many of whom are forced to spend years of their young lives away from home with little hope of returning." Microsoft partnered with them and will donate money for every Live search performed at this site until March 31st 2007. They also have special Windows Live Space about the agency and we just learned from Inky that Windows Live Messenger 8.1 is also involved in the fundraising. If you put one of the shortcuts below in your display name, Microsoft will contribute to ninemillion.org every time you start a conversation.

*sierra
*bgca
*9mil
*hsus
*komen
*one
*mssoc
*care
*acs
*oxfam
*mod
*help
*red+u
*unicef
*wwf
*naf

This has yet to be announced officially so we have no idea whether they're already tracking this, but if you already downloaded Windows Live Messenger 8.1.0178 it wouldn't hurt putting of these keyboard shortcuts in your nickname and start chatting :) Expect people wondering where you got the new emo from!

It's been two years since a new emoticon was introduced into Messenger, and this is a respectable way to do it! It's a bit like the nickname advertising that exists in China, but in a noble way.

UPDATE: If you right-click someone with the i'm emoticon, you'll see a new menu item called What is i'm that links to a yet unavailable website about the campaign.

Hey! Thank you :D

Nice info

(I don't get the right-click menu when I click... Maybe because of the French version)
RE: Odd 'official' smiley on WLM by Rolando on 02-20-2007 at 12:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Bougo
Hey! Thank you :D

Nice info

(I don't get the right-click menu when I click... Maybe because of the French version)

It just says What's IM? and redirects you to msn.com. You should be able to see it if you right-click any contact with the :im: emoticon on their nicks.
RE: Odd 'official' smiley on WLM by Felu on 02-20-2007 at 12:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by q25
It just says What's IM? and redirects you to msn.com. You should be able to see it if you right-click any contact with the  emoticon on their nicks
It redirects you to msn.com currently. I think there will be a new webpage for it shortly :P.
RE: Odd 'official' smiley on WLM by Nagamasa on 03-01-2007 at 09:00 PM

http://messengersays.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!5B4...30829E!25315.entry

The offical WLM has just told the world about the :im: emoticon.

But to summarize the blog:

The donation is JUST FOR the users in United States as of the time of this post.

Different codes to get the :im: emoticon support different organizations, listed in their blog post.

Only the 1st :im: code listed will be used for donations. All others would become 'regular' emoticons.

Users will only see :im: in version 8.1, or higher in the future.

RE: Odd 'official' smiley on WLM by Oxy on 03-01-2007 at 09:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
The donation is JUST FOR the users in United States.

Pfft, im taking it off then
RE: Odd 'official' smiley on WLM by vaccination on 03-01-2007 at 09:29 PM

Mess.be also posted a new thing about it, along with the blog post naga posted.

quote:
Originally posted by mess.be
What is i'm? Chat for charity initiative officially launched!
What is i'm? Chat for charity initiative officially launched!
dwergs says:

Over the past few years, we've seen people on Messenger put emoticons or special symbols in their nicknames to mourn victims of terrorist attacks, AIDS, acts of God or evil stingrays. Sometimes these appeals create a sizeable buzz, in other cases just dozens of "colorful" contact lists. But with Microsoft now jumping on this trend for the first time you'll be able to actually make a difference without spending any money!

Like we told you in January, Microsoft has hidden an emoticon in its 8.1 version of Windows Live Messenger, and we also suggested that putting it in your Display Name would generate a donation to charity for every conversation you initiate. Several early adopting Microsoft employees who read about it at Mess.be were even ordered to remove the emoticon from their nicknames... until today's official launch of the "i'm Initiative". We previously revealed different shortcuts that show the charity emoticon and, depending on which shortcut you use, you decide which one of the nine participating i'm making a differenceorganization benefits from your free donations. By selecting your favorite cause from the following list and putting the associated emoticon in your Display Name, you can personally help the organization attain its goals:

*sierra - Sierra Club [link]
*bgca - Boys and Girls Clubs of America [link]
*9mil - ninemillion.org [link]
*komen - Susan G. Komen for the Cure [link]
*mssoc - National Multiple Sclerosis Society [link]
*red+u - American Red Cross [link]
*unicef - UNICEF [link]
*naf - National AIDS Fund [link]
*help - StopGlobalWarming.org [link]

Refer to the Q&A in our FAQ for more details regarding the i'm Initiative including the participating organizations. Currently answered questions include "Why the i'm emoticon", "What's my effort worth", "Can anybody participate?" and "What about the other emoticon shortcuts?".

One important detail that I would like to pay extra attention to is the campaign's restriction to users from the United States. While you can still put the emoticon in your nickname in order to raise awareness for the campaign among your U.S.-based buddies, it's a bit of a drawback for Messers worldwide.

>> Read all about hidden i'm emoticon in our constantly updated FAQ.

>> Don't forget to Digg this news and pass it on! Link to our FAQ for the latest on i'm.

>> Head over to im.live.com or the press release for more information.

>> Download the required Windows Live Messenger 8.1 (English US) here.

quote:
Originally posted by .OxY
quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
The donation is JUST FOR the users in United States.

Pfft, im taking it off then

Yeah, I dislike that =/

but meh, i removed it a while ago anyways ;p
RE: Odd 'official' smiley on WLM by ryxdp on 03-03-2007 at 01:44 AM

Offtopic:

How does MS/WLM/blah detect if you're using i'm? Is there some code that does this?

(basically what I'm trying to say is "How does this donating process work?")

RE: Odd 'official' smiley on WLM by DeathsAngel on 03-03-2007 at 04:59 PM

*help also makes the I'M icon appear.

How do we take it off?

RE: Odd 'official' smiley on WLM by Sunshine on 03-03-2007 at 05:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DeathsAngel
*help also makes the I'M icon appear.

How do we take it off?
Remove the code for the icon from your name (or PSM if you used it there....in wich case it wouldn't generate anything either even if you are from the US, it needs to be in the name).
RE: Odd 'official' smiley on WLM by DeathsAngel on 03-03-2007 at 05:06 PM

I don't get it oO

My name doesn't have any of the *help    and when I type *help it still appear.

I dont know where to change that

RE: Odd 'official' smiley on WLM by Thor on 03-03-2007 at 05:09 PM

quote:
I don't get it oO

You're not supposed to change that, it's built in. If you don't like it, don't type it.
RE: Odd 'official' smiley on WLM by CookieRevised on 03-05-2007 at 10:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ryxpia
Offtopic:

How does MS/WLM/blah detect if you're using i'm? Is there some code that does this?

(basically what I'm trying to say is "How does this donating process work?")
contact names, just as everything else, goes thru the servers, and contact names in particular are even stored on the servers, so it is quite easy to scan a name for the string "*help" and thus detect it.

quote:
I don't get it oO

Those codes are hardcoded shortcuts for smilies. Just like ":)", ":P", ":(", etc.