Shoutbox

Get rid of the reputation system - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Get rid of the reputation system (/showthread.php?tid=72060)

Get rid of the reputation system by brian on 02-24-2007 at 12:17 AM

To be honest, I'm sick of all these threads over the forums complaining about how X was treated and Y was treated.

The reputation system is pointless to be honest.  I do agree that CookieRevised, Sunshine & others do deserve to have a good reputation but it wouldn't matter at the end.  They're still as helpful.

Get rid of the reputation system for good will change very much the way this forum works.

If someone new joins and isn't sure or messing around, he'd simply get full with negative reps. & no one will care.

If there is no reputation system present, no one will do anything & if someone starts complaining at him in a post, post reported, person banned, problem solved.

I'm willing to change my mind if someone has a good reason on why not to disable the reputation system.

RE: Get rid of the reputation system by linx05 on 02-24-2007 at 12:20 AM

[10:13:07am] <linx05> or make the rep system private so only mods can see it

As I've said before the rep system is a bad idea. It may be handy for the moderating team but not for everyone else. Butttt... nothing will change. The forum here is so set in its ways it will be a while before anything changes. Anyone remember the thread I made a while back about how the forum is going down hill? Well...

RE: Get rid of the reputation system by brian on 02-24-2007 at 12:36 AM

No, it's still pointless with it being private.  Report his post or him doing something wrong or PM an admin/moderator about it.

RE: Get rid of the reputation system by Wally on 02-24-2007 at 12:40 AM

i totally agree that its not needed and that it is pointless all its really doing is putting people against each other. and what is the point of it anyway .... to acknowledge that some one is helpful or not. let other people judge that not members telling them who to judge of who is good or who is bad 

RE: Get rid of the reputation system by RaceProUK on 02-24-2007 at 12:49 AM

I wouldn't moan too much: you've all got good reps after all.

RE: Get rid of the reputation system by albert on 02-24-2007 at 12:50 AM

Wasn't this discussed in the past..?

RE: Get rid of the reputation system by user44571 on 02-24-2007 at 12:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by alby
it's like a yearly tradition
RE: Get rid of the reputation system by Rolando on 02-24-2007 at 12:51 AM

quote:

It sure was.. and admins said they liked it and its staying.
RE: Get rid of the reputation system by Supersonicdarky on 02-24-2007 at 12:52 AM

annual*

all that needs to be done is forbid rep threads, if someone has something to say, pm the person.

RE: Get rid of the reputation system by J.J on 02-24-2007 at 12:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Damokun
quote:
it's like a yearly tradition

And its always rejected...so give it up already.
RE: Get rid of the reputation system by albert on 02-24-2007 at 12:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
annual*

all that needs to be done is forbid rep threads, if someone has something to say, pm the person.

Got to agree. If that doesn't work out contact an admin.
RE: Get rid of the reputation system by MicroWay on 02-24-2007 at 01:12 AM

I agrre with you that the Reputation can be used to "attack" someone (unfortunatelly, I've seen it).

But sometimes it is a good indicator if you're doing a bad/good job... I've seen cases that the person started with neg reputation (on the first posts), as he/she spamed and sometimes made posts with no usefull content, but he/she improved and today he/she has pos reputation.

So, the problem that is more complained here is about the unfair reputation. In this point we maybe had to make an upgrade. People have said that we could make a system that new people doesn't get voted, or, the case here, to stop it. Just would like to remember that some people here don't get stressed with reputation.

I have to agree that people with good reputation (or not or none) in most cases come here to help or get helped. AND I would like to remember that we cannot make h´ppy all the people, so a neg rep (when is fair) is normal (now we're coming back to the unfair part).

So, in my opinion, it can be stoped the  reputation system, but, if it continues (is that I belive that is going to hapen, as, if I'm not wrong it have been instaled for people interaction or something similar) no problem too.

Ohh... I was forgeting: maybe we could choose some people (the older ones here) to judge the reputation, but maybe it's difficult. Also, try to search on the forum, because posts with suggestions about the reputation have been made...

EDIT: But contacting an Adim. is good to when we need to make things fair... Have to agree with you again...
;)

RE: Get rid of the reputation system by CookieRevised on 02-24-2007 at 01:17 AM

The reputation system is not at fault, it is the attitude of some people that is wrong...

If you think that the reputation system is useless, then simply don't use it.

If you like to abuse the reputation system, that says more about you and your attitude than about the reputation system itself.

Removing or changing the reputation system is not going to change and/or help the attitude of those people. They still will act immature...

PS: yes this has indeed be discussed before...

RE: Get rid of the reputation system by linx05 on 02-24-2007 at 01:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by brian
No, it's still pointless with it being private.  Report his post or him doing something wrong or PM an admin/moderator about it.
One of the reasons someone said the rep is a good thing was because it let the mod know if he/she is a good person. Since it is only them who deal out the punishments it would be good for them to see it.
RE: Get rid of the reputation system by Discrate on 02-24-2007 at 01:25 AM

I smell another "Members behaviour" thread.

I dont think the rep system should be removed, the rep isnt at fault. But really does rep matter? if some person gives you a neg for crap that is not true all you have to do is just forget about that person and move on.

RE: Get rid of the reputation system by NiteMare on 02-24-2007 at 01:26 AM

this topic has been argued to death, every single time somebody makes a thread about the quality of the forums member, with in an hour its turned in to a debate about weather the rep system should stay or not, and to be honest, its not our decision, its the admins decision, and they've decided it stays, making polls or threads about it so everybody starts screaming at each other doesn't help it to get better,  it only gets on peoples nerves, and it gets way out of hand.

arguing or even discussing it won't make a difference, if the forum admins feel that the reputation system is no longer a good part of these forums, then they will remove it. on their own. not with our help.

RE: Get rid of the reputation system by Supersonicdarky on 02-24-2007 at 01:26 AM

can this thread be locked before it gets out of hand?

RE: RE: Get rid of the reputation system by Discrate on 02-24-2007 at 01:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by linx05
quote:
One of the reasons someone said the rep is a good thing was because it let the mod know if he/she is a good person. Since it is only them who deal out the punishments it would be good for them to see it.

Thats not right. I could get 20 people to neg and put all lies. the mods wont think your a good person or not just by looking at rep.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Svip
And a last thing, don't feel bad about being mean to new users.  That's how life is.  It may be what gives a board a bad name.  But its better than a good name.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my opion you should be banned if you are telling people not to feel bad insulting and hassling new users. Also whats wrong with a good name for the board? We all want a good name for the board.
RE: Get rid of the reputation system by paperless on 02-24-2007 at 01:40 AM

Rep system is a good feature..its good for the community, if you see it being used in a wrong way its people's fault not the system's fault.

If you think its useless then i think you are giving too much importance to it just by creating a new thread.

RE: Get rid of the reputation system by linx05 on 02-24-2007 at 01:46 AM

My point being discrate it will be better for the members. Those 20 lies would only create flames in threads when that member tries to help. Making the reps private will allow the member to be judged better by the people who deal out the punishments.

RE: Get rid of the reputation system by brian on 02-24-2007 at 01:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Removing or changing the reputation system is not going to change and/or help the attitude of those people. They still will act immature...
They'll practically have no place to act immature which then they'll start acting in their posts which ends up getting reported.

The way the reputation system is working, it's "i'm better than you, say i'm bad i say you are" mode.  Get it removed & it'll fix a lot of stuff.

The immature won't act so innocent and if he doesn't, he'll get banned.

I'm not trying to create the members critics thread once again, I'm simply trying to help around
RE: Get rid of the reputation system by WDZ on 02-24-2007 at 02:19 AM

quote:
Get rid of the reputation system
Don't you think that's a little drastic? Is there no hope of improving it, either with technical modifications or policy changes? :-/

And even if it is removed, I'm not convinced it's going to be an improvement.

quote:
The reputation system is not at fault, it is the attitude of some people that is wrong...

Removing or changing the reputation system is not going to change and/or help the attitude of those people.
Yeah, I think you're right.

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
arguing or even discussing it won't make a difference, if the forum admins feel that the reputation system is no longer a good part of these forums, then they will remove it. on their own. not with our help.
I disagree; discussing it can make a difference. Input from the community can help the admins make the right decisions.

However, when threads like this get out of hand, that doesn't help anyone... :\
RE: Get rid of the reputation system by Nagamasa on 02-24-2007 at 03:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MicroWay (what he crossed off)

Ohh... I was forgeting: maybe we could choose some people (the older ones here) to judge the reputation, but maybe it's difficult.
Perhaps there should be a panel which includes admins, mods, and elites which votes for rep count. I mean, they are special for a reason, and I'm sure they can be honest. But then, it might be A LOT of work for them to rep each and every member...

I am not AGAINST the rep system that is currently operating, nor am I AGAINST scrapping the rep system, as it provides a good indication.
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
This forum is not a dictatorship.
quote:
Originally posted by paperless
people's fault not the system's fault.
Well then there's a flaw in the system...(e.g., I kill someone, and I'm not charged because the laws don't cover it...and obviously its a flaw in the laws)
quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
debate about weather the rep system should stay or not
but perhaps, the problem IS there...

What Ms. Frizzles said, "Take chances! Make Mistakes!"
quote:
No, it's still pointless with it being private.
If not even worse, as then regulars cant report incorrect statements  about someone, and the admin/mod's vision (not eye-vision) is blurred...
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Get rid of the reputation system
Don't you think that's a little drastic? Is there no hope of improving it, either with technical modifications or policy changes? :-/
The hard, lose-lose way of problem solving...not a good solution.
quote:

If you think that the reputation system is useless, then simply don't use it.
Other people use it on us (not necessarily me)...and it gives oneself an untrue statement.
quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
all that needs to be done is forbid rep threads
Completely against that. This forum 3 years ago and this forum now, has definitely changed. Opinions change too.
RE: Get rid of the reputation system by Lou on 02-24-2007 at 03:52 AM

To be perfectly honest, Cookie is (once again) correct. The people that abuse the system in the first place are at fault. And with the many threads we've been getting the last few weeks, I'm seeing some changes already with things. For example, TnT is pruned rather regularly, and on top of that, if people would simply use the fucking report button complaining wouldn't be needed.
[Image: report.gif]

It's getting ridiculously out of hand, the spam and stuff is loads less annoying than all the threads complaining about it.

So as members, and as a part of the community, if we want this to be a better place, we need to press that button every time we see something wrong.

There is also the great [Image: pm.gif] button, which in this case, pm's the great dz. This button is quite useful because it can help you report reputations *GASP*:shocked:

So use the buttons, and that's it. There really shouldn't be any need for repetitive threads about closing the reputation system and stuff. If we stop abusing it, it'll be useful.

So to summarize:

[Image: pm.gif] (WDZ)
[Image: pm.gif] (wj)
[Image: pm.gif] (Chris Boulton)

RE: Get rid of the reputation system by wj on 02-24-2007 at 04:04 AM

Thank you Lou, Great summary. Though I'll say this much, You can also PM Surfi or I.

RE: Get rid of the reputation system by MicroWay on 02-24-2007 at 04:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa

quote:
Originally posted by Microway (what he crossed off)

Ohh... I was forgeting: maybe we could choose some people (the older ones here) to judge the reputation, but maybe it's difficult.

Perhaps there should be a panel which includes admins, mods, and elites which votes for rep count. I mean, they are special for a reason, and I'm sure they can be honest. But then, it might be A LOT of work for them to rep each and every member...
That's why I crossed it off... The people choosed would have a lot of unecessary work + they have more important things to do...

To be more honest here, all theads about reputation started with sugestions and discutions, but as soon as they come, after days, they "disapear" from the firsts pages on the "Latest Posts" because this is a subject that in the end, people get in conclusion that the best is to keep the system as it is. So, the best thing is continue with the Reputation System (as Cookie said: The system is not the problem) and try to LEARN how do you can remove an unfair reputation vote.

Again: Search for other threads about reputation and you'll see what some people that don't want to change system and me are talking about...
PS: Search made using "Reputation" and only on subjects
RE: Get rid of the reputation system by John Anderton on 02-24-2007 at 04:27 AM

And one more thing, if "unfair reps" are the problem, banning the person from repping for 30 days is an idea. If he/she repeats it, make it permanent :) (Like trolling on a new user for making a thread in 2-3 forums could get you a months ban from the repping system)

If you're still having issues with the repping system, increase the min limits after which people can rep. Quite a few forums only allow their senior members to give reps.

Lou's summary > *

RE: Get rid of the reputation system by L. Coyote on 02-24-2007 at 07:14 AM

There should be an option like "I could care less", but I'm all for trying the theory that "no rep system == better forums".

Maybe we could try it for a couple of weeks? :s You know, simply "hide" it and see if the admins see a difference.

Or maybe there should be a limitation as to how many negatives new members can receive? Like, say, three a day. There's no need for 20 guys to say the same thing about spammy01 or cluelessnewbie01. :^)

But I'm kind of tired of these discussions, so don't expect me to waste study time in any new threads of this nature. I'm mostly an observer, these days, anyway.

RE: Get rid of the reputation system by Nathan on 02-24-2007 at 08:50 AM

Why dont we just disable the reputation system for newbies, (100 posts) or something like that.

RE: RE: Get rid of the reputation system by Discrate on 02-24-2007 at 10:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
Why dont we just disable the reputation system for newbies, (100 posts) or something like that.

Yer that would be a great idea.
RE: Get rid of the reputation system by Plik on 02-24-2007 at 10:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
quote:
Originally posted by linx05
quote:

Thats not right. I could get 20 people to neg and put all lies. the mods wont think your a good person or not just by looking at rep.
It would be fairly easy for a mod to work out that that member had been ganged up on...

quote:
But then if a newbie with a history of giving bad advice posts a rubish post in a help thread, and another newbie posts the right advice. How does the person who asked for help know who to believe?
That's the point of the rep system, so new people know who's good or bad on the forum.
However if the limit is 10 posts that would be ok, it lets the person find their feet and lets you see if they have any bad habits will stick around.

I think stricter moderation is all thats needed, make it easyer to get banned from giving reps. I also think that reporting reps should be just like reporting posts, with a button and all. We're all lazy as well =p

Perhaps also some rephrasing. So getting a neg isn't deemed as a "You suck i hate you vote" but a "I think you need to improve on this....." vote. Positive for praise, negitive for improvement.
RE: Get rid of the reputation system by Oxy on 02-24-2007 at 10:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Plik
I think stricter moderation is all thats needed, make it easyer to get banned from giving reps. I also think that reporting reps should be just like reporting posts, with a button and all. We're all lazy as well

I actually agree with this comment. We need stricter moderation and maybe a little text hyperlink beside each vote that allows you to report that rep.
RE: Get rid of the reputation system by Nathan on 02-24-2007 at 10:51 AM

Yeah and maybe a quick report button on the rep page and that should be much eaiser for us and for wdz.
Lets face it if any of us see's a bad rep we may report it once in a while but if there are loads then we wont.

RE: Get rid of the reputation system by Oxy on 02-24-2007 at 10:55 AM

quote:
Yeah and maybe a quick report button on the rep page and that should be much eaiser for us and for wdz.
Lets face it if any of us see's a bad rep we may report it once in a while but if there are loads then we wont.

that's all we really need imo.. because i know i'm too lazy to get the url of the rep and send a pm, yet i report posts often..
RE: Get rid of the reputation system by absorbation on 02-24-2007 at 01:59 PM

The rep system lets me know if a user often posts fake material or is a known spammer back with a different account. When I see a ton of negatives and read the comments I know I shouldn't trust this person. Therefore I believe the rep system should stay :P.

RE: Get rid of the reputation system by brian on 02-24-2007 at 03:57 PM

To be honest, I'm surprised at the amount of people who think it should stay.

If I may ask, why was it removed long-time ago by first place?

RE: Get rid of the reputation system by Voldemort on 02-24-2007 at 04:16 PM

quote:
This forum 3 years ago and this forum now, has definitely changed.
quote:
No offense, really....
Ive been here almost two years and i've seen the forum change :zippy:
RE: Get rid of the reputation system by roflmao456 on 02-24-2007 at 04:38 PM

rep system doesnt change your REAL reputation in REAL life :P

RE: Get rid of the reputation system by Plik on 02-24-2007 at 04:44 PM

quote:
To be honest, I'm surprised at the amount of people who think it should stay.

If I may ask, why was it removed long-time ago by first place?
What? Are you refering to MyBB's default rep system?
Was that even part of mybb when it was first implemented on this forum? :-/

I imagine it was removed back then because there was no need, with a smaller userbase it would have been quite clear who was who. Now we have new member posting all the time, and you need a better idea of the quality of the members posts and behaviour.
RE: Get rid of the reputation system by brian on 02-24-2007 at 05:37 PM

quote:
I imagine it was removed back then because there was no need, with a smaller userbase it would have been quite clear who was who. Now we have new member posting all the time, and you need a better idea of the quality of the members posts and behaviour.

That was the answer for my question, thanks.
RE: Get rid of the reputation system by Rolando on 02-24-2007 at 05:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by roflmao456
rep system doesnt change your REAL reputation in REAL life :P

Completely offtopic and useless post, but ok :undecided:

I think it should stay, no matter if its abused.
RE: Get rid of the reputation system by brian on 02-24-2007 at 05:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by q25
Agreed it's your opinion, but why?

Don't you think it has caused enough problems because people getting mistreated?
RE: Get rid of the reputation system by vaccination on 02-24-2007 at 06:19 PM

I don't think it should be removed, just looked at again, it needs to be less 'abusable'.

Mind, I have no idea how to do that.

Also, as I think has been said before, it's more the people's action towards it. It seems as though some people think it's a toy, others think they need a good rep, for whatever reason, e.g. looking 'cool' or something.

I would say I don't care about my reps, but it's not true, and everyone knows it. I do care care, but not overly much. I admit, I'd much rather see a positive number there, and the higher the number the better. But In all honesty, it doesn't matter, I help if I can, that's enough. If someone doesn't have a big positive number under their name, it doesn't mean they don't help or can't help. So you shouldn't feel bad about having a low rep or something like that, which leads me back to the fact, some people want to be 'cool', look good in the other forum members eyes. But what does it matter as long as you help out?

Another thing, while I remember, is the constant 'n00b bashing' is really annoying. Not everyone's as smart as you. Though some people do lack some common sense ;p

Just try not to jump on the 'n00b' as quick, be nice, and if they're doing something wrong, PM them to say "hey, you shouldn't do XYZ blah blah blah" and report anything they've done if need be.
(And yes, I'm quite aware that I do this a lot('n00b bashing' that is) sorry, I'm trying to not to do it so much, I think a big problem here is a kind of 'peer pressure' type thing)

You don't need to negatively rep someone to tell them what they're doing wrong. PM THEM FOO!

Oh, and I don't mind the jokey stuff, like someone does something like messing up some BBcode and someone says "you phail at BBcode" or something, that's minor and is only a joke, and not exactly offensive, or harsh. But when someone(or a group of people, which seems to happen a lot) goes kingdom kong on someone's ass... =/

Okay, I went off-topic a bit I think, so sorry for that. I also wanted to say more, but i can't get the words out =s

Anywho, It's good, just needs to be more fool proof ;o

RE: Get rid of the reputation system by Nathan on 02-24-2007 at 06:21 PM

Yeah,
The reps dont affect my life, but it's nice to know what people think about you and what you're doing wrong.

RE: Get rid of the reputation system by Rolando on 02-24-2007 at 06:33 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by q25
Agreed it's your opinion, but why?

Don't you think it has caused enough problems because people getting mistreated?

It has? :undecided: It allows people to express their opinions and rep each other, and have fun with the comments they put. Some people complain, but there's always people complaining.

The rep system is kinda like the shoutbox, its only there to entertain  users and let them express themselves. And isn't that what the forum is all about? (Apart from helping people with their mp!l questions, that is :p)
RE: Get rid of the reputation system by WDZ on 02-24-2007 at 06:45 PM

quote:
What? Are you refering to MyBB's default rep system?
Was that even part of mybb when it was first implemented on this forum? :-/
Yeah, RC2 did have a reputation system, but it sucked, so it was disabled while I re-coded it.
RE: Get rid of the reputation system by brian on 02-24-2007 at 06:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by q25
It allows people to express their opinions and rep each other, and have fun with the comments they put.
I'm not sure if that is the point of the reputation system.

Then, if we want to keep the reputation system.  Abusing it should be an offense just like flaming/spamming the forum.

The users who gave a negative rep. to the new user a few days ago and once that's reported, the users should get warned/banned depending on the severity.
RE: Get rid of the reputation system by Dr4g0n on 02-24-2007 at 07:27 PM

Right, this thread sorts out the quarterly rep rant then. So where's the whole-forum-is-going-downhill thread? They're normally within a few weeks of each other.

I figured it was due.

RE: Get rid of the reputation system by Voldemort on 02-24-2007 at 07:30 PM

quote:
The users who gave a negative rep. to the new user a few days ago and once that's reported, the users should get warned/banned depending on the severity.
Why? those where valid reps.... The thing that should not be is insulting on reps...
RE: Get rid of the reputation system by ZrednaZ on 02-25-2007 at 12:21 AM

I too think the rep system is pretty silly. Maybe that's why you hardly ever see it utilized other places? What you get is a bunch of users giving each other meaningless positive rep points in order to hopefully get one back.
Even without this factor present I still wouldn't take much notice of any given user's reputation. I'm just as likely to take advise from a user with a 0 rep as a user with a +400 rep if I think it will solve my problem. :)

On the more positive side, it may encourage helpful users to be even more helpful when they are rewarded with a great number of positive points. Also, I assume it helps moderators to identify spammers and what not. If this be the case, I see no reason why the rep system should be removed as it can't really be considered annoying. Ignoring it works pretty well for me.

RE: Get rid of the reputation system by Lou on 02-25-2007 at 03:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dr4g0n
Right, this thread sorts out the quarterly rep rant then. So where's the whole-forum-is-going-downhill thread? They're normally within a few weeks of each other.

I figured it was due.
That was last week. Hence me complaining earlier actually.
RE: Get rid of the reputation system by user27089 on 02-25-2007 at 03:07 PM

I've got an idea, people should stop being pricks to each other, end of.

Grow up, act more mature and then you wouldn't need to post this every month. People should stop whining about their reputations and just help people more, stop spamming. If you've got a bad reputation, it's your own fault.

The reputation is good, it shows you if you're doing well or if you're doing bad. If you've got a low reputation, then it shows you to help more, then once you get more positive reps for helping, it'll give you an incentive to help more. For those who already have good reps it gives them good self esteem and makes them want to help more anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by Dr4g0n

I figured it was due.

I'm technically not here now, so you won't be seeing one of those :p.