Shoutbox

Installing OSX on a PC - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Installing OSX on a PC (/showthread.php?tid=72074)

Installing OSX on a PC by Exca on 02-24-2007 at 11:14 AM

Hey,

I'd like to do this, and I know it's possible, but I don't find any good tutorials about this. I searched here, but OSX is only 3 letters and the forum doesn't want to search on that (pretty annoying). Anyway i'd like to ask does someone know a good tutorial on this?

Tnx

RE: Installing OSX on a PC by jonny-d on 02-24-2007 at 11:16 AM

i know you can get a mac and use bootcamp to install windows XP butive never heard of doing itthe other way round

RE: Installing OSX on a PC by Exca on 02-24-2007 at 11:23 AM

Found this one:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Installation_Guides

RE: Installing OSX on a PC by Kenji on 02-24-2007 at 11:34 AM

Its pretty easy to do, you just need to make sure your hardware works. Everything worked for me apart from the wireless and sound.. 

When i installed it, i just got a spare HD, unplugged all my other HD's ad installed it on there as a single boot. When you want to use windows, just unplug the drive with OS X and plug your Windows drive in. Easy as that.

Just do what it says here And you should be fine.

RE: Installing OSX on a PC by Exca on 02-24-2007 at 11:51 AM

But I want dual boot with Vista. The link says not to select a partition (which should be my choice) but to select the whole disk

Edit: found it tnx :)

http://www.profit42.com/index.php/2006/12/09/vist...-boot-on-intelamd/

RE: Installing OSX on a PC by Eljay on 02-24-2007 at 11:57 AM

http://www.profit42.com/index.php/2006/12/09/vist...-boot-on-intelamd/

RE: Installing OSX on a PC by andrewdodd13 on 02-24-2007 at 12:37 PM

Just so you don't make the mistake I did of not fully reading the instructions, your processor needs to support SSE2 or 3 (Pentium 4+, AMD Athlon 64 / Sempron) for OSX to work.

Unfortunately Barton core XP's don't have it. :(

RE: Installing OSX on a PC by Jhrono on 02-24-2007 at 01:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
your processor needs to support SSE2 or 3 (Pentium 4+, AMD Athlon 64 / Sempron)

Core 2 Duo too....
RE: Installing OSX on a PC by Exca on 02-24-2007 at 01:39 PM

I've been on an irc channel there, they suggest me SSE3 (i have centrinu duo)

RE: Installing OSX on a PC by aNILEator on 02-24-2007 at 04:51 PM

yes it's possible to do, i 'may' have it at the moment, it's borderline illegal by the way... not that that would stop some people :P

It's ok though, nothing special , best motherboard/cpu combo would be all intel but that is mega ££££$$$$€€€€€ sometihng like $300 for intel's best mobo :|

RE: Installing OSX on a PC by Jhrono on 02-24-2007 at 06:45 PM

Why do you need 'the best' mortherboard? It all comes to what you intend to do with your computer : Normal use, Overclocking or Gaming?

If you want normal use, any cheap 775 Socket motherboard will do.. If you want overclock, Asus P5B Deluxe is a good strong option, Gigabyte DQ6 too, or if you want something cheaper than the deluxe motherboard, Asus P5B-E Plus.. If you want gaming, I'd sugest a motherboard with nVidia's 680i chipset, featuring Core 2 Duo support + Sli native support, such as eVGA's or BFG's 680i Motherboard..

Core 2 Duo is a must nowadays though..

RE: Installing OSX on a PC by kao on 02-24-2007 at 08:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jhrono
Why do you need 'the best' mortherboard? It all comes to what you intend to do with your computer : Normal use, Overclocking or Gaming?

If you want normal use, any cheap 775 Socket motherboard will do.. If you want overclock, Asus P5B Deluxe is a good strong option, Gigabyte DQ6 too, or if you want something cheaper than the deluxe motherboard, Asus P5B-E Plus.. If you want gaming, I'd sugest a motherboard with nVidia's 680i chipset, featuring Core 2 Duo support + Sli native support, such as eVGA's or BFG's 680i Motherboard..

Core 2 Duo is a must nowadays though..

Gaming on a PC box running OSX? lol please.
RE: Installing OSX on a PC by Jhrono on 02-24-2007 at 08:26 PM

So yeah kao, then tell me one single intel motherboard that costs 300$ and isn't aimed at gaiming? Since that was the price aNILEator reffered, I gave him that refference.

The only I can remember that can get close to that mark is Asus P5W 64 WS

RE: Installing OSX on a PC by kao on 02-24-2007 at 08:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jhrono
So yeah kao, then tell me one single intel motherboard that costs 300$ and isn't aimed at gaiming? Since that was the price aNILEator reffered, I gave him that refference.

The only I can remember that can get close to that mark is Asus P5W 64 WS
I was laughing at OSX + gaming, not you.
RE: Installing OSX on a PC by Exca on 02-25-2007 at 11:03 AM

Actually i'm on a laptop :D

specs: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5500 @ 1.66Ghz 1.67Ghz
Ram: 2GB of something
Graphics: nVidea Geforce Go 7600 256mb
Audio: Conexant High Definition Audio

Hope everything works then. Is it right about the SSE3?

RE: Installing OSX on a PC by Jhrono on 02-25-2007 at 01:59 PM

I guess so, but download CPU-Z (Google it) and check if SSE3 is within the 'Instructions' field for your processor

RE: Installing OSX on a PC by aNILEator on 02-26-2007 at 12:05 PM

i said that was the best solution regarding compatability with OSx86, you don't need to patch hardly anything with the intel 'badaxe 2' mobo if you plan on running OSx86, also using the best intel processor around is good too aas you can just update using the normal osx update packages, wheras if you have an AMD processor and Asus mobo like myself you gotta wait for people like semthex to hack the kernel to run on.

hang around www.insanelymac.com and their forums you should get all the info and help you need