Shoutbox

Connecting two pc's - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Connecting two pc's (/showthread.php?tid=72112)

Connecting two pc's by Chocolatino on 02-25-2007 at 07:35 PM

ok so i just finished setting up my old pc in the living room but i want them to run together so that i can access the file's and accounts from this one on the other one and also connect the one outside to the Modem in here.
the outside one is xp proffesional and this one is media centre 05 is that an obstacle? and what kind of cables do i need to get any software needed?

thnx in advance ;)

EDIT: sorry ment Modem.

RE: Connecting two pc's by Woraug on 02-25-2007 at 08:20 PM

I assume you're using a router.  Just run the network wizard on both computers (making sure you name the network on both the same thing) and you're set.  Just right click the drive/folder you want the other machine to have access to, and go to sharing and security.  From there, it explains what to do to share the folder, and the options you have.

RE: Connecting two pc's by Chocolatino on 02-25-2007 at 08:59 PM

thanks but how do i connect them? can i use usb or is there more to it?

RE: Connecting two pc's by L. Coyote on 02-25-2007 at 09:12 PM

I used a network cable, which is similar to a phone cable, except that the plugs are bigger.

That or you can use wireless cards with a wireless router, though I don't know how to set that up, so I can't help you there.

Once you have the cable plugged to both computers, just run the Network wizard, like Woraug said.

RE: Connecting two pc's by Chocolatino on 02-25-2007 at 09:20 PM

ok that seems all in order so thanks to both of you ;)

RE: Connecting two pc's by Jesus on 02-26-2007 at 12:07 AM

If you link the PC's directly to each other (without a hub or router or anything, just one cable from one network card to the other), you'll probably need a cross cable depending on your hardware. Keep that in mind too if things don't work as expected :)

RE: RE: Connecting two pc's by Snake on 02-26-2007 at 02:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
If you link the PC's directly to each other (without a hub or router or anything, just one cable from one network card to the other), you'll probably need a cross cable depending on your hardware. Keep that in mind too if things don't work as expected :)

To avoid this, I highly recommend getting a router.
RE: Connecting two pc's by Voldemort on 02-26-2007 at 09:47 PM

Identifying a crossover cable: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/l...gcable.htm#1003732

RE: Connecting two pc's by Chocolatino on 02-27-2007 at 05:42 PM

ok i have bought this cable today Belkin CAT 5e Crossover Cable

but when i plug it in on both computers it says its unplugged im setting up the network on both PC's but both say its unplugged what am i doing wrong?

RE: Connecting two pc's by Voldemort on 02-27-2007 at 11:17 PM

kay, let's check.... it's connected directly to both computers?
both nics enables?

RE: Connecting two pc's by ShawnZ on 02-28-2007 at 01:43 AM

If you have a router connecting the two PCs to the internet, you can create a network across that as well... It depends on what you want to do. The standard workgroup networking system between two or more workstations will let you "share" directories across the network as SMB shares as long as both computers are on the same workgroup. (goto start, click run, and type "\\an-ip-address\" to see SMB shares existing on that computer) If you use a domain network, which requires the use of a Windows Server 2000/2003 dedicated server connected to your router (or networked in whatever other way you come up with) you can set it up as a "logon server" -- meaning, whenever you log on to any of the workstations on your network, the username and password is sent to this "domain controller" -- it then sends back profile information and security settings. this also means you can use your user account on any computer connected to the network, and have your settings transfer over as well.

RE: Connecting two pc's by Chocolatino on 02-28-2007 at 03:49 PM

ok can i just make clear i don't have a router, so do i need to get one? i want a simple connection nothing fancy or too complicated. and wen i said server i ment modem...sorry :(

RE: Connecting two pc's by Jesus on 02-28-2007 at 05:15 PM

ok let me get this clear. The setup you are trying to create is the following:

[Internet]-----------[Modem-PC1-NIC]-------<crossover cable>------[NIC-PC2]

In which you can currently reach the internet only from PC1, right?

This setup is possible without a router by allowing the internet connection on PC1 to be shared with other PCs in your network. You can do this by going to your Internet Connection's properties (right-click>Properties). Select the Advanced tab and check the box which says something like "Other network users may use this computer's Internet connection." (I'm on a Dutch machine so I don't know the exact string)
After that, connect PC1 to PC2 using your new crossover cable.
Setup both PCs to use the same workgroup by right-clicking My Computer and selecting Preferences. Select the Computer Name tab and check whether they already use the same workgroup. If they are both in a different workgroup, use the Change... button to change one of them.
Now it's time to set up the IP address and submask for your network. Go to your LAN-connection's properties (again, right-click>properties), select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click the Properties button.
Now, select "Use the following IP" and type in an IP-address (recommended ranges are 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255, 172.16.0.0 to 173.31.255.255 and 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255)
In the Subnet mask field, fill in 255.255.255.0
On the other pc, use the same settings, except for the IP. Only the last number of the IPs should differ eg: PC1 has 10.0.0.1 and PC2 has 10.0.0.2

If you still can't ping PC1 from PC2 or vice-versa, check your firewall settings, NIC status in the device manager and maybe even the new cable you bought.

RE: Connecting two pc's by Chocolatino on 02-28-2007 at 05:37 PM

so that would help me for the bits after but im still stuck in getting them on the same network as to share the internet connection and file because wene i plug in too both PC's it comes up as not plugged in on both. and i make the network from this pc but it dosn't appear on the other one. is there a toutorial i can follow because now i know what to do after so thanks for that Jesus ;). looked on google and followd a few but nothing :(

RE: Connecting two pc's by Jesus on 02-28-2007 at 06:55 PM

well, if it says that the cable is not plugged in it might be a hardware issue. Are you sure your NICs and cable are ok (even if it's a brand new)? I can't think of another reason why it would show them as not connected right now:(

edit: have you tried this one?

RE: Connecting two pc's by Chocolatino on 02-28-2007 at 07:24 PM

well what if i get a router? and also could it be this?

quote:
Originally posted by windows support

The network cable may be the wrong type of cable. For example, a crossover cable does not function correctly as a regular network cable.

RE: Connecting two pc's by Jesus on 02-28-2007 at 07:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chocolatino
could it be this?

probably not, since you bought a crossover cable to link 2 pcs directly to each other, which is exactly what they are for.

If you get a router, make sure you can use it for your type of internet connection. Also, you can't use your crossover cable to link a pc to the router (which is what they were referring to in the quote you posted), so you'll need 2 regular network cables.
RE: Connecting two pc's by Chocolatino on 02-28-2007 at 07:38 PM

Ok....lol and i thought it would be hassle free just plug and play.
so you think i should try a new cable?

RE: Connecting two pc's by Jesus on 02-28-2007 at 07:50 PM

quote:
Ok....lol and i thought it would be hassle free just plug and play.
so you think i should try a new cable?
AFAIK, it should be (nearly) plug and play.

I'm not saying you should run to the store to get a new cable right away, but if the MS Tech Support page didn't help you out and you are sure both NICs are installed correctly (check in device manager) you might want to have the cable tested and eventually replaced.
RE: Connecting two pc's by Chocolatino on 02-28-2007 at 07:53 PM

ok then well thanks for everything and i'll have a word with me Dad see if i can get it replaced.If anything els can i pm you?

RE: Connecting two pc's by ShawnZ on 02-28-2007 at 10:25 PM

you do have two NICs, right?

RE: Connecting two pc's by Chocolatino on 02-28-2007 at 10:45 PM

yeah one on each PC it's Ethernet on this one not sure of the other one.

RE: Connecting two pc's by Voldemort on 03-01-2007 at 01:02 AM

you would need 3 :P, 2 for one comp, the one sharing the connection... and another one for the computer receiving the internet :P

unless of course you could connect your modem to your usb port...
i think it would be easier for you to buy a cheap router....

RE: Connecting two pc's by ShawnZ on 03-01-2007 at 01:36 AM

quote:
yeah one on each PC it's Ethernet on this one not sure of the other one.

you need two on the first computer... one to connect to the internet, and one to connect to the second computer.

what were you doing? :-/
RE: Connecting two pc's by Chocolatino on 03-01-2007 at 09:49 PM

my modem connects to a USB port and i read that all you had to do is share it.

RE: Connecting two pc's by Jesus on 03-02-2007 at 05:36 PM

quote:
my modem connects to a USB port and i read that all you had to do is share it.
true, if you have a working LAN connection between the PCs...

which is the problem atm if you haven't made any progress yet :/
RE: Connecting two pc's by Chocolatino on 03-04-2007 at 02:45 PM

ok, ok i feel quite dumb now...it was the cable some of the contacts were twisted  but now it works fine soo thanx for your help anyways its all connected up and working ;).

RE: Connecting two pc's by Jesus on 03-04-2007 at 02:52 PM

good to hear it's all working now ;)

RE: Connecting two pc's by Chocolatino on 03-04-2007 at 02:57 PM

lol, and there was me getting all hot and botherd over nothing.

RE: Connecting two pc's by Knowem-meetem on 03-18-2007 at 11:05 PM

quote:
ok so i just finished setting up my old pc in the living room but i want them to run together so that i can access the file's and accounts from this one on the other one and also connect the one outside to the Modem in here.
the outside one is xp proffesional and this one is media centre 05 is that an obstacle? and what kind of cables do i need to get any software needed?

thnx in advance ;)

EDIT: sorry ment Modem.

I know what you can do, I was reading about this on the microsoft website. You need to go to a computer dealership place, talk to them about a NULL file transferring cable and see what they show you, you need 2 of them, and you have to hook them up to both of the computers

Then all you do is you go to start>>all programs>>accessories>>system tools and file transfer wizard

and follow the instructions in it;)
RE: Connecting two pc's by Voldemort on 03-18-2007 at 11:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Knowem-meetem
I know what you can do, I was reading about this on the microsoft website. You need to go to a computer dealership place, talk to them about a NULL file transferring cable and see what they show you, you need 2 of them, and you have to hook them up to both of the computers

Then all you do is you go to start>>all programs>>accessories>>system tools and file transfer wizard

and follow the instructions in it

Did you even read the thread???