Shoutbox

Website help - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Website help (/showthread.php?tid=72517)

Website help by Ptoye on 03-10-2007 at 02:54 PM

hey, well i have got a very simple website made in pulisher 2007, i have saved it by going to publish to web and then i can view it n a browser. so how to i then take the website i made in publisher and publish it to my site....www.changeit.nathans-hosting.com ...and www.petertoye.co.nr ( redirection)

thanks
hope it is clear enough :D

p.toye

RE: Website help by ayjay on 03-10-2007 at 03:00 PM

Get an FTP client, enter the server details which Nathan will give you, upload to wherever you want it in the webspace, normally just by dragging/dropping.

RE: Website help by Felu on 03-10-2007 at 03:01 PM

Well you could upload the website through FTP using a FTP client like SmartFTP or Net2FTP to upload. Make sure you enter the right login details. For co.nr redirections you can sign-up here and then chose the redirect URL to www.changeit.nathans-hosting.com :).

Edit: ayjay beats me to it :sad:.

RE: Website help by Ptoye on 03-10-2007 at 03:16 PM

thanka guy :D thats all great so far. but publisher seems to save them as filtered HTML files, smartFTP wants them as XML files. what do i do?

thanks again!

some rep points due :P

RE: Website help by ayjay on 03-10-2007 at 04:02 PM

it should upload any type of file at all, what does it say?

RE: Website help by jasonallen on 03-10-2007 at 04:10 PM

On SmartFTP,

If you go to File...New Remote Browser...then login with the details you were given.

Then go to File...New Local Browser and locate the publisher html files.

All you then need to do is drag and drop from the local browser to the remote browser.

Hope this helps.

Jason.

RE: Website help by Ptoye on 03-10-2007 at 04:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ayjay
it should upload any type of file at all, what does it say?

woops just realised that it was me being a ***** :P, so i can now upload the index file, how do i set it so thats what you see when you enter the site?

thanks
p.toye

EDIT: all fixed, i placed the file in the webpage name folder and it worked :D wow thanks :d you do not know how pleased i am :D

thanks!
RE: Website help by Felu on 03-10-2007 at 04:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ptoye
how do i set it so thats what you see when you enter the site?
What exactly do you mean by that? Can you explain a bit please?
RE: RE: Website help by Ptoye on 03-10-2007 at 04:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Felu
quote:
What exactly do you mean by that? Can you explain a bit please?

sorry, i have fixed it now(edited other post)

what i meant was how to i set the file as the atuall enter page. its hard to explain, not very good at this sort of thing :P

all fixed now though so thanks alot both of yous :D

gave you both a rep. point :P
RE: Website help by John Anderton on 03-10-2007 at 04:24 PM

quote:
name the file index.html (or .php/htm/asp whatever its original extention was) or default.html

Basically according to the server configuration, if there is a file by the name of index or default (with an appropriate web extension like php, html etc) it will be displayed first. So people mostly name it index :)
RE: Website help by Ptoye on 03-10-2007 at 04:38 PM

hey,

soz about this :P

well i have managed to set it up...kind of :P i have it on enter but when a link in the navagation bar is clicked it says cant be found :S and it will not show any pictures either :S

RE: Website help by stoshrocket on 03-10-2007 at 07:46 PM

for the pictures (and pages), are you sure you have uploaded them? or uploaded them into the correct file? You *should* have a folder called index_files on your website server (where you ploaded the index file to) that contains all your images and from the looks of it, all the other html pages.

RE: Website help by Ptoye on 03-10-2007 at 11:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by methos
for the pictures (and pages), are you sure you have uploaded them? or uploaded them into the correct file? You *should* have a folder called index_files on your website server (where you ploaded the index file to) that contains all your images and from the looks of it, all the other html pages.

does anyone know of any good free guestbooks that i can just simply add the HTML code to my site. i want one that i can 'intergrate' to my page not a link to the guestbook in another windows sort of thing :d thanks.

EDIT: even some sort of comment thing will do :D

RE: Website help by stoshrocket on 03-10-2007 at 11:42 PM

For quick-fix scripts (when i cant be bothered coding (a)) and things i usually just use www.hotscripts.com... Good for seeing examples of scripts and great for little things like that...

Hotscript's Guestbooks