Shoutbox

System tray status icons - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: System tray status icons (/showthread.php?tid=72534)

System tray status icons by springo on 03-10-2007 at 08:53 PM

Hi,
I just installed WLM on Vista and I see that the system tray icon showing the status looks awful, like if it hadn't been cut properly. Do you know how to fix this?
Thank you!

RE: System tray status icons by Kenji on 03-10-2007 at 09:05 PM

Hmm... It looks ok to me..

Can you get a screenshot or something?

RE: System tray status icons by springo on 03-10-2007 at 09:20 PM

I hope you can see the icon's borders, which don't look smooth.
[Image: msgryf8.jpg]

RE: System tray status icons by Eddie on 03-11-2007 at 12:57 AM

Hmmm i dont see anything wrong with it *-) look ok to me :)

EDIT: And i think if im not mistaken Skinning is the only way to change the tray icon :) Which is hard with Windows Live Messenger ;)

RE: System tray status icons by RaceProUK on 03-15-2007 at 07:39 PM

It's just not being anti-aliased, like the uTorrent icon is. The icon to the right of WLM looks worse IMO.

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
And i think if im not mistaken Skinning is the only way to change the tray icon
Not quite: it's possible to change the icon using the Win32 API. However, to do that you need to perform some form of code injection.
RE: RE: System tray status icons by vikke on 03-15-2007 at 08:16 PM

It's meant to look that way in tray. Those borders should be white, that's the style. ;)

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
And i think if im not mistaken Skinning is the only way to change the tray icon
Not quite: it's possible to change the icon using the Win32 API. However, to do that you need to perform some form of code injection.

You don't need code injection, you can do it the NOTIFYICONDATA way to edit the tray without any injection at all..

Here is a VB6 sample. It's quite old so I'm not sure it will work, but I hope! ;)

If you don't know programming, resource hacking is the best path to go. You can download Resource Hacker (it's free) from here. You might have to scroll down the page to get to the download area.

So.. If you got it downloaded, extract it to a temporary area (like C:\Temp\). Close and sign out of Messenger. Open the program, select the File menu and click Open.
Find the directory where you installed Messenger, probably C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\. Open the file called "msgsres.dll".  After, a treeview should appear. Click Icon, then right click 51 and choose "Replace Resource". A new window should appear.
Click "Open File with new icon" and select the file. Then click replace. Finally save, and run Messenger again and enjoy! :)

vikke
RE: System tray status icons by RaceProUK on 03-16-2007 at 12:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vikke
You don't need code injection, you can do it the NOTIFYICONDATA way to edit the tray without any injection at all.
I thought you could only change the icon from within the process that created it? Otherwise there'd be the possibility of 'spoofing' an icon. Whether that's a security risk I don't know, but it never hurts to be safe.
* RaceProUK checks MSDN
OK, fair enough, you don't need to be in the same process.