Shoutbox

[0.3.3] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: [0.3.3] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) (/showthread.php?tid=72620)

[0.3.3] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by the DtTvB on 03-13-2007 at 03:57 PM

* the DtTvB is not sure whether this forum is the right place to post or not.

Well, ;)

I made some client-side improvements (a.k.a. userscripts)
to the shoutbox. To make this true, you need to have Greasemonkey, that is, available to Firefox users only.

Download Greasemonkey Extension for Firefox

Greasemonkey's work is to run the installed userscripts after the page loads.

Download the userscript (0.3.3).
Changelog:

code:
// 0.3.3
//     - Options accordion. Can be used to turn a feature on and off.
//     - -dt-'s script compatibility mode
//        (can be [en/dis]able via the options accordion)
//     - Forced to be utf-8.

// 0.3.2
//     - More timeouts for user to go away.
//     - Better handling of commands.. For example:
//           /test => "I am testing"
//       is defined, if you type
//           /test the shoutbox
//       it will become I am testing the shoutbox.
//     - Will no more allow /help to be sent via shoutbox.
//     - Quick text box is moved to lower-left
//     - Quick texts sliding...

// 0.3.2pre
//     - Hidden feature requested by MeEtc.

Download the userscript (0.3.1).
Changelog for 0.3.1:
  - Some commands will be sent using a standard way. For example, /theme.
  - The menu popup should disappear when you click somewhere else.
[size=1]Now the size of the script gets to 15kb with 672 lines of code with more features...
Note: Please uninstall the older versions first before installing 0.3.0.
Changelog:
  - When you click on a user's name, a popup menu will appear and let you quote, PM, or view the profile.
  - Quick texts!!

Screenshots:
    [Image: func2xs5.png]    [Image: func3jt5.png][/size]

0.2.1 (0.2.0 users, please redownload!)
Download the userscript (0.2.1).
Note: To toggle auto-refresh in this version, just click the old autorefresh button to turn it on ([Image: refreshon.gif]). Or it won't refresh anything.
Changelog:
  - Fixed message sending bug where + is treated as a space (0.2.1)
  - Used new way of parsing HTML. Now it uses range.createContextualFragment
  - Uses XMLHttpRequest to send messages.
  - More comments.
  - Toasts! Now, toasts will pop-up when a user comes in to the shout box or exits.
Preview:

[Image: ashwe89rjwup7.png]

Download the userscript (0.1.2).
Note: To toggle auto-refresh in this version, just click the old autorefresh button to turn it on ([Image: refreshon.gif]). Or it won't refresh anything.
Changelog:
  - Some fixes/improvements, thanks to WDZ.
  - Added comments for larger filesize for the ease to edit.
  - Changed the updating method. Won't affect the message entry box in any way.

Download the userscript.
Important! You need to turn off the original Auto-Refresh feature of the shoutbox before installation (make sure that the autorefresh button at the bottom is grayed like this: [Image: refreshoff.gif]), because this userscript includes the better version of the autorefresh.

This userscript makes following changes to the shoutbox:
  • Auto-Focus: The message typing box will be focused by default.
    You don't have to click on the input box in order to type anymore.
  • Expanded Input: The input box is expanded to fit the window.
  • The New Auto-Reload: This script includes the better version of the auto-reload feature. Please turn the original one off before installing this script. It uses XMLHTTPRequest to reload (a.k.a. AJAX, oops, AJAT), that means it will not reload the whole page, just the body section. This userscript reloads the page every 12.5 seconds, but it will look faster than the previous one!

RE: Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by John Anderton on 03-13-2007 at 04:02 PM

Hmmm I may be wrong but isn't something like this already made by dt about a year and a half ago? :-/
I cbf to read the source but I guess someone else could verify.
Anyway, I'm just here to tell you it need not be for firefox only. GM scripts can be ported to certain IE equivalents :)

RE: Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by MeEtc on 03-13-2007 at 04:09 PM

http://svn.thedt.net slash something, but the site seems to be missing ATM...

RE: RE: Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by the DtTvB on 03-13-2007 at 04:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
Hmmm I may be wrong but isn't something like this already made by dt about a year and a half ago? :-/

I don't know. I am too new to this forum!

quote:
Anyway, I'm just here to tell you it need not be for firefox only. GM scripts can be ported to certain IE equivalents :)

This userscript uses many things that IE doesn't support.
- Well, let's see... First, I used window.XMLHttpRequest, which will not work only on IE. (In other browsers, it works)
- It also uses selectionStart and selectionEnd, that is not compatible with IE also. It works on Firefox and Opera 8+ [source].
RE: Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by haydos on 03-13-2007 at 06:07 PM

I'll definitely use it, dt's script seems to have a few issues with my computer. Nice job mate.

RE: Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by prashker on 03-13-2007 at 06:16 PM

Cool, great thanks ;>

RE: Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by vaccination on 03-13-2007 at 07:14 PM

dt's has even more functionality though =(

RE: Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by L. Coyote on 03-13-2007 at 07:21 PM

(Y) Very nice script.

quote:
So? :tongue:
RE: Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by Thor on 03-13-2007 at 08:16 PM

Bug: I have to press enter twice to send the message. :-/

RE: Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by prashker on 03-13-2007 at 08:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nitro
Lies.
RE: Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by Thor on 03-13-2007 at 08:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
    Bug: I have to press enter twice to send the message. (Smilie)
It's true. :cry:
RE: Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by prashker on 03-13-2007 at 08:47 PM

Disable + Renable the Greasemonkey script?

RE: Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by NanaFreak on 03-13-2007 at 08:48 PM

lol im just gonna use dt's one...

RE: Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by EBFL on 03-13-2007 at 09:18 PM

quote:
Same :sad:
RE: Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by WDZ on 03-13-2007 at 10:48 PM

How confusing, two people named DT making GM scripts for the shoutbox. :P

-dt-'s script seems to have some unresolved issues though, so maybe it's good to have competition. 8-)

quote:
Originally posted by the DtTvB
(Firefox only!)
Actually, it works in Opera too. :cheesy: See http://opera.com/support/tutorials/userjs/examples/#greasemonkey

I have a few suggestions though...

1) The include/exclude code could be improved. Here's what I'm using...
code:
// @include        msghelp.net/shoutbox.php*
// @include        *.msghelp.net/shoutbox.php*
// @exclude        *action=stats*
// @exclude        *action=edit*
To exclude pages > 1, this should do the trick...
code:
var linktags = document.getElementsByTagName('link');
for(var i=0; i<linktags.length; i++) {
    if(linktags[i].rel == 'prev') return;
}
And to exclude other pages like theme, help, error, etc.
code:
if(typeof(document.msgform) == 'undefined') return;
2) It would be nice to have a switch to toggle the refresh on and off.

3) The refresh shouldn't touch the message field at all, it should just replace the shouts and the users online. I noticed that the refresh can interrupt my typing. :sad:

I'll probably post more suggestions/bugs later. :P
RE: Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by Lou on 03-14-2007 at 12:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
OR, you could make the refresh better for your shoutbox to fix a few of these annoying things :P
RE: RE: Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by WDZ on 03-14-2007 at 12:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
OR, you could make the refresh better for your shoutbox to fix a few of these annoying things :P
Shh, I hate Javascript so I'm trying to get someone else to do the coding for me. =o

:P
RE: Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by Thor on 03-14-2007 at 12:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

Shh, I hate Javascript so I'm trying to get someone else
Well, atleast implent it in the shoutbox then. :p
RE: Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by the DtTvB on 03-14-2007 at 01:54 AM

quote:
Well, then I don't really know. I think the input box is focused already, so this shouldn't happen. I will try to find some workaround.

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
How confusing, two people named DT making GM scripts for the shoutbox. :P
All I can say is.... :S

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Actually, it works in Opera too. :cheesy: See http://opera.com/support/tutorials/userjs/examples/#greasemonkey
Really, I think my code is only work on Firefox based. Thanks for telling. But I am sure not for IE.

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I have a few suggestions though...
OK, I will try to do it..

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
3) The refresh shouldn't touch the message field at all, it should just replace the shouts and the users online. I noticed that the refresh can interrupt my typing. :sad:
Another strange problem.
Before it reloads, it save the message field's value, selection position, and restore it after the reload has finished. I should match things better.

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I'll probably post more suggestions/bugs later. :P
That would be very good! Thanks for all suggestions and bug reports.
RE: Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by John Anderton on 03-14-2007 at 03:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
dt's has even more functionality though =(
And works great without any problems for me. I've been using them since he released 'em :P
dt's svn is currently down to a certain "problem" and shall be back up soon (hopefully :)) Once it is, I'm sure people can see his work as well :)
For me his code works without any problems cause if they have problems I trouble him till he fixes it :refuck: (yes he is lazier than WDZ :sad:)
RE: [0.1.2] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by the DtTvB on 03-14-2007 at 05:43 AM

quote:
dt's svn is currently down to a certain "problem" and shall be back up soon (hopefully :))

After browsing through -dt-'s random stuff server, I think I have found it. -dt- has a lot of techniques I haven't know.
I'll try to learn more techniques.
RE: [0.1.2] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by WDZ on 03-14-2007 at 05:54 AM

That's an old version (24-Jan-2006). Here's a copy from a month ago: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/crap/shoutboxbetterrefresh.user.js

I'm not sure if -dt- has updated it since then... :^)

RE: [0.1.2] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by Joa on 03-14-2007 at 06:04 AM

quote:
Before it reloads, it save the message field's value, selection position, and restore it after the reload has finished. I should match things better.

i guess my problem is something like wdz's .... it's not just that it disrupts my typing in the message box, it "steals" the focus every time the shouts refreshes. i mean say i'm typing something in the search bar in ff, the cursor goes back to the message box at each refresh while i'm typing.

is it possible to do something that it doesn't steal focus when i'm typing outside of the message box... but have the shoutbox page open?

RE: [0.1.2] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by NanaFreak on 03-14-2007 at 06:04 AM

quote:
quote:
dt's svn is currently down to a certain "problem" and shall be back up soon (hopefully :))

After browsing through -dt-'s random stuff server, I think I have found it. -dt- has a lot of techniques I haven't know.
svn.thedt.net > * > random.thedt.net

hmm i think that is that latest DZ ;)
RE: [0.2.0] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by the DtTvB on 03-14-2007 at 08:23 AM

The code updated to 0.2.0 0.2.1! - See the first post for details.

0.2.1 includes some bugfix. Please redownload if you are using 0.1.2 or 0.2.0!

After digging through the XUL Planet, I found new way to parse for HTML, which works great.

It's called something like createContextualFragment.
That makes it possible to detect the users that goes out or comes in.

And the new feature is it uses XMLHttpRequest to send the message also!

RE: [0.2.1] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by Mike on 03-14-2007 at 12:35 PM

You have a typo: It shouldn't be "user has exit the shoutbox" but "user has left the shoutbow" ;)

RE: [0.2.1] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by Kenji on 03-14-2007 at 12:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
You have a typo: It shouldn't be "user has exit the shoutbox" but "user has left the shoutbow" ;)
shoutbox*

* Kenji runs

dt's works fine for me... if i could use them both, i would. But your one stops dt's from working properly...
RE: [0.2.1] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by markee on 03-14-2007 at 12:53 PM

Could someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the who's online section of the shoutbox rely on a timer before the person's name disappears which means that the toast style message could be up to 15 minutes slow?  I would like to know that I'm wrong.

Anyway, I might give this a try later on because dt's script has some problems with the edit, theme and help pages atm with the refresh (I wouldn't mind the delete links script to work either 8-)).

Anyway, this might make dt try a little harder, still quite nice to see someone giving it a go (Y)

RE: [0.2.1] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by the DtTvB on 03-14-2007 at 01:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazmo
dt's works fine for me... if i could use them both, i would. But your one stops dt's from working properly...

Can you give me the link to -dt-'s script so I can detect what makes -dt-'s to stop working.

quote:
Originally posted by markee
Could someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the who's online section of the shoutbox rely on a timer before the person's name disappears which means that the toast style message could be up to 15 minutes slow?

It's up to the forum system. You'll have to wait for some staff to answer. :P
RE: [0.2.1] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by -dt- on 03-14-2007 at 01:58 PM

quote:

Can you give me the link to -dt-'s script so I can detect what makes -dt-'s to stop working.
simple, mine hooks a bunch of things like the sbRefresh function and can disable/enable its self depending on if the refresh is enabled :P

quote:
Anyway, I might give this a try later on because dt's script has some problems with the edit, theme and help pages atm with the refresh (I wouldn't mind the delete links script to work either (Smilie)).

Anyway, this might make dt try a little harder, still quite nice to see someone giving it a go (Smilie)
=p

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
quote:
quote:

svn.thedt.net > * > random.thedt.net

hmm i think that is that latest DZ ;)
yes but svn.thedt.net is down for a bit (discussing stuff with dreamhost =p), random.thedt.net is _old_ stuff

quote:
    quote:Originally posted by WDZ
    3) The refresh shouldn't touch the message field at all, it should just replace the shouts and the users online. I noticed that the refresh can interrupt my typing. (Smilie)

Another strange problem.
wow thats messy :-/, why dont you use xpaths to find the table and just replace the shout table + online users :-/

mine creates an iframe, forces it to load the shoutbox (with protections against infinite loops) then once the iframe has fully rendered it uses an xpath to find the table + online users and copies the node from the iframe document to main one.

less jumpyness and a more natural look : >
RE: [0.2.1] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by the DtTvB on 03-14-2007 at 02:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
simple, mine hooks a bunch of things like the sbRefresh function and can disable/enable its self depending on if the refresh is enabled :P

In my script, it completely disable the sbRefresh function, but edit the behavior of rfSwitch to call my reload function.

quote:
wow thats messy :-/, why dont you use xpaths to find the table and just replace the shout table + online users :-/

That code was removed since 0.1.2! :P
Since 0.1.2, the script will kist replace the shout+online users.

And I am not good at XPaths. ;)

quote:
mine creates an iframe, forces it to load the shoutbox (with protections against infinite loops) then once the iframe has fully rendered it uses an xpath to find the table + online users and copies the node from the iframe document to main one.

less jumpyness and a more natural look : >

Since 0.2.0, it uses DocumentFragment to parse the HTML.

code:
var range = document.createRange();
range.selectNode (node);
var documentFragmentObject = range.createContextualFragment(htmlCode);

And it works really fine!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Off-Topic!

I made another userscript for the forum.
This script improves the BBCode function.

- You won't lose your selection when you click on a button, so you can click B, I, U, Center without re-select the text everytime.
- The textarea won't scroll up anymore so you don't have to scroll down if you have typed long.
- Some hotkeys. ;)
    - Ctrl+B - Bold
    - Ctrl+I - Italic
    - Ctrl+U - Underline
    - Ctrl+L - Left
    - Ctrl+E - Center
    - Ctrl+R - Right

URL: http://dttvb.yi.org/msg-edit.user.js
RE: [0.2.1] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by Jimbo on 03-14-2007 at 04:23 PM

quote:

Off-Topic!

I made another userscript for the forum.
This script improves the BBCode function.

- You won't lose your selection when you click on a button, so you can click B, I, U, Center without re-select the text everytime.
- The textarea won't scroll up anymore so you don't have to scroll down if you have typed long.
- Some hotkeys. ;)
    - Ctrl+B - Bold
    - Ctrl+I - Italic
    - Ctrl+U - Underline
    - Ctrl+L - Left
    - Ctrl+E - Center
    - Ctrl+R - Right

URL: http://dttvb.yi.org/msg-edit.user.js
Thanks, thats actually really helpful!
Maybe make the hotkeys work when doing a quick reply? that would be even better

You may have to use Ctrl=Alt+__ because ctrl and b, when doing a quick reply, displays the bookmark thing in firefox.

RE: [0.2.1] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by Thor on 03-14-2007 at 05:55 PM

Oh well, here's a request. :p

Is it possible to hook the userlinks, so that when you click the user name of a shout, a menu popps out asking whether you want to quote the person, send a pm or just visit the profile page?
:)

RE: RE: [0.2.1] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by WDZ on 03-14-2007 at 07:26 PM

quote:
Could someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the who's online section of the shoutbox rely on a timer before the person's name disappears which means that the toast style message could be up to 15 minutes slow?  I would like to know that I'm wrong.
Yeah, due to the way the Users Online system works, these toasts can't possibly work very well. :-/

Users can stay on the online list for up to 15 minutes after they leave.

Also, users disappear from the list whenever their current board location changes. So refreshing the Latest Posts page, for example, would cause you to "leave" the shoutbox.
RE: [0.2.1] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by Oxy on 03-14-2007 at 08:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Also, users disappear from the list whenever their current board location changes. So refreshing the Latest Posts page, for example, would cause you to "leave" the shoutbox.
ahh, that explains alot :P
RE: [0.2.1] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by the DtTvB on 03-15-2007 at 09:36 AM

quote:
Nitro:
Is it possible to hook the userlinks, so that blah blah blah....
Sure! It is possible, I am developing on it!

quote:
From a PM:
...... ..... .....
I am also implementing quick texts, that allows you to type in texts quickly... For example /bye /insult /test

quote:
Jimbodude:
Maybe make the hotkeys work when doing a quick reply? that would be even better
Updated.
New version URL: http://dttvb.yi.org/msg-edit2.user.js
Also, the new version also supports the resizing of the message entry.

quote:
Jimbodude:
You may have to use Ctrl=Alt+__ because ctrl and b, when doing a quick reply, displays the bookmark thing in firefox.
Ctrl+B will not display the bookmarks... (Like in vBulletin!)
RE: [0.2.1] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by prashker on 03-15-2007 at 10:27 AM

quote:
I am also implementing quick texts, that allows you to type in texts quickly... For example /bye /insult /test

My pm :cheesy: <3.
RE: [0.3.0] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by the DtTvB on 03-15-2007 at 11:44 AM

I've finished the quick message system and userlinks hooking system.

Version 0.3.0 is out!
Please see the top post.

RE: [0.3.0] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by prashker on 03-15-2007 at 06:14 PM

Thats really good :).

But what about Quick Texts for forum posts :O?

RE: [0.3.0] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by Thor on 03-15-2007 at 06:39 PM

quote:
I've finished the quick message system and userlinks hooking system.

Version 0.3.0 is out!
Please see the top post.

Works really sweetly!

One thing. :)
After you've clicked a username, the menu pops up. But, can you make it so if you click anywhere else it disappears?
RE: [0.3.0] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by MeEtc on 03-15-2007 at 06:58 PM

I don't have the menu for the usernames.... All i get is a link to the profile....

SUGGESTION: I have the shout ID's enabled, would it be possible to have those made into a link to make a quote?

RE: [0.3.0] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by prashker on 03-15-2007 at 07:02 PM

Also, can you please have a

'Dont show me again' box for the 'Welcome to the shoutbox' :P?

Nevermind, just removed

code:
//
// An initial toast! Hmm...
//
_alert ('Welcome to the shoutbox!');

From the code :).

Also, your script makes it so we can't type /theme (which is an actual shoutbox command for theme properties)
RE: [0.3.0] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by Lou on 03-15-2007 at 09:07 PM

I'm using your latest script along with -dt-'s for the quick text box to have a wysiwyg editor, and the box no longer expands, incompatability to max :P

RE: [0.3.1] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by the DtTvB on 03-16-2007 at 01:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
Also, your script makes it so we can't type /theme (which is an actual shoutbox command for theme properties)

Fixed! Some commands will not be executed using XMLHttpRequest i.e. Standard way. See the post at the top.

quote:
But, can you make it so if you click anywhere else it disappears?

Sure. It's in 0.3.1.
RE: [0.3.1] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by Lou on 03-16-2007 at 10:20 AM

Some suggestions for the shoutbox script:

• For the new added menu, there should be rollovers to distinguish what object your mouse is going over
  • The quick texts thing should be at the bottom, as it could easily be over a shout where it is now
  • That popup that says "Welcome to the shoutbox"  really shouldn't be there at all
  • Like WDZ explained earlier, the alerts for "going into and out of" the shoutbox, are not accurate, they really should be removed :undecided:
  • The quick texts should allow for use like /command <preset message> <on-the-go message> (e.g: "/test" would be used as "/test the shoutbox" and would output "I am testing the shoutbox")
Edit: Added the toasts one.
Edit2: Added the other quick texts one
That's it for now.
RE: [0.3.1] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by J.J on 03-16-2007 at 11:07 AM

Thats pretty awesome. Top stuff.

RE: [0.3.7] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by the DtTvB on 03-17-2007 at 10:12 AM

0.3.1 is out.

quote:

For the new added menu, there should be rollovers to distinguish what object your mouse is going over

The text would become bold now

quote:

The quick texts thing should be at the bottom, as it could easily be over a shout where it is now

OK, it is moved.

quote:

That popup that says "Welcome to the shoutbox"  really shouldn't be there at all

This text is now removed! Hurray!

quote:

Like WDZ explained earlier, the alerts for "going into and out of" the shoutbox, are not accurate, they really should be removed (Smilie)

Now times are delayed... It should be more accurate... for people who auto-refreshes.

quote:

The quick texts should allow for use like /command <preset message> <on-the-go message> (e.g: "/test" would be used as "/test the shoutbox" and would output "I am testing the shoutbox")

OK. Now that command works...

Please see the top post for download and more details.
RE: [0.3.2] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by Nathan on 03-17-2007 at 10:34 AM

When adding a quick texts and if you enter nothing and click cancel it comes up error.

RE: [0.3.2] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by Jimbo on 03-17-2007 at 12:17 PM

<3 the new version, thanks so much DtTvB

Maybe you could right another script to improve the "/theme" section of the shoutbox?

Also, maybe make the toast appear on top of everything?? or an option to do this?

RE: [0.3.2] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by EBFL on 03-17-2007 at 01:35 PM

* EBFL <3's this shoutbox scipt. :cheesy:

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbodude
Maybe you could right another script to improve the "/theme" section of the shoutbox?

RE: [0.3.2] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by Lou on 03-18-2007 at 02:05 AM

Just to make it more complete, you should add buttons of some sort which enable disable certain features (e.g: the toasts, quick texts, enlarge the comments box, etc) as not everyone will like all those features (personally, the toasts would be disabled for myself).

As well, I notice that for some reason your script leaves a bunch of empty space at the bottom, that is quite unnecessary and messes with everything:sad: Turns out it's not your script, disregard that ;)

Btw,     

quote:
0.3.1 is out.

I believe you mean 0.3.2 ;)

RE: [0.3.2] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by L. Coyote on 03-18-2007 at 05:14 AM

Hmmm, users who use the /me command don't get the drop-down menu.

:P I haven't been around, this week, so forgive me if someone had already pointed that out.

By the way, you're doing a great job! (Y)

RE: [0.3.2] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by duck! on 03-18-2007 at 08:53 PM

installed it and seems to be running smoothly, the only thing is the notification of when someone comes in to the shoutbox comes up when someone refreshes the shoutbox, so maybe a 2minute delay so if they go off for 2 minutes or more it comes up, any lower it doesnt..?

RE: [0.3.2] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by Oxy on 03-19-2007 at 08:38 PM

Nice script, well done (Y)

quote:
Originally posted by EBFL
* EBFL <3's this shoutbox scipt.

*script
RE: [0.3.2] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by WDZ on 03-22-2007 at 12:17 AM

Some users of your script have noticed strange character encoding problems. For example, the ¬ character doesn't work right. Here are a few screenshots...

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/1086/sswsnx4.png
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/49/83648818pt9.png (before refresh)
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/6457/71502228do6.png (after)

I think the XMLHttpRequest is to blame. Do you have any ideas for how to fix this? :P

Update: I added charset=iso-8859-1 to the HTTP headers, and that seems to help, at least with viewing messages. There may still be issues with sending messages, but I haven't tested that.

RE: [0.3.2] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by MeEtc on 03-22-2007 at 12:28 AM

currently, none of the commands from -dt-'s shoutboxcc.user.js are working with your script either

attached below for convenience, seeing as though -dt-'s site is down

RE: [0.3.2] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by the DtTvB on 03-23-2007 at 04:44 PM

> Just to make it more complete, you should add buttons of some
> sort which enable disable certain features

OK, I will try to do it.

> Some users of your script have noticed strange character encoding
> problems. For example, the ¬ character doesn't work right.
> I think the XMLHttpRequest is to blame.

You are right. You know that XMLHttpRequest tries to be UTF-8.
Many times it doesn't work on a non-UTF8 sites.

I'm pretty sure that there must be some workarounds.. I will look at it.

> currently, none of the commands from -dt-'s shoutboxcc.user.js
> are working with your script either

> Quoted from -dt-'s script:
> unsafeWindow.checkName = function(){return start();}

> From my script:
> document.msgform.onsubmit = function() {

This code from my script kicks the -dt-'s one away.
From -dt-'s code, I also pretty sure that there must be
some workarounds, because we hook the function at
different places.

RE: [0.3.3] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by the DtTvB on 03-23-2007 at 05:32 PM

> you should add buttons of some sort which enable disable certain
> features

OK, finished!

And some of the bugs are fixed..

Added: An option to disable XMLHttpRequest sending to make -dt-'s script work.

RE: [0.3.3] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by Felu on 03-23-2007 at 05:37 PM

Do you mind if I try and edit the script to make it work perfectly with Opera :P? I'll be doing it tomorrow though. I'll release the script if i succeed :D. I know you'll allow, but still wanted to ask.

RE: [0.3.3] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by the DtTvB on 03-24-2007 at 02:24 PM

Sure! And thanks for asking...

RE: [0.3.3] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by Nathan on 03-26-2007 at 12:27 PM

Yeah I agree with you Phillip

RE: [0.3.3] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by Lou on 04-07-2007 at 02:52 PM

Well nobody has been posting here in a while... May I suggest you change the way your "buttons" work, because if I highlight the options button, and then wish to switch to the quick text one, that doesn't work too well. The entire thing closes first.

quote:
Originally posted by Felu
Do you mind if I try and edit the script to make it work perfectly with Opera :P? I'll be doing it tomorrow though. I'll release the script if i succeed :D. I know you'll allow, but still wanted to ask.
How is that coming along?
RE: [0.3.3] Some client-side Shoutbox improvements. (Firefox only!) by Felu on 04-07-2007 at 05:30 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Felu
How is that coming along?
It was going good until i got Vista. Not using Opera anymore :(. Thanks for reminding, I'll work on it when I'm free :P.