Shoutbox

Views on gay marriage - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Views on gay marriage (/showthread.php?tid=72771)

Views on gay marriage by RebelSean on 03-18-2007 at 08:32 AM

Before I say anything, please don't let this turn into a flame feast. It's a serious topic.

I'm curious to know everyone's views and thoughts on gay marriage. It's becoming a bigger and bigger issue in the United States, and it's even outlawed in many states, including my own.

What is your views and thoughts?

RE: Views on gay marriage by -dt- on 03-18-2007 at 08:34 AM

if two people love each other, I see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to get married =p

RE: Views on gay marriage by RebelSean on 03-18-2007 at 08:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
if two people love each other, I see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to get married =p

My government sees a marriage between a man and a women. They have also have stated that it's "against God", but then that goes back to the separation between church and state. They've removed the Ten Commandments out of every state & local office, but they're outlawing gay marriage. It's contradictory.
RE: Views on gay marriage by ShawnZ on 03-18-2007 at 08:39 AM

don't see an issue with it

RE: Views on gay marriage by Vilkku on 03-18-2007 at 08:41 AM

I don't see why it should be outlawed. I understand if the churches don't want to marry gay couples, but that should be up to them to decide, not the states. They should definitely be allowed to "register" their relationship (not sure what it's called in English, when you just go to some office and say that you are now married, which gives you all the benefits of a married couple in the eyes of the law).
Over here, gay marriage is legal, and some priests are letting them have their wedding in the church (which usually causes some controversy, as the church has no official standpoint on this that I know of, and there are many against it as well).

RE: Views on gay marriage by prashker on 03-18-2007 at 08:44 AM

I don't care, does not affect how I live in anyway :p.

RE: Views on gay marriage by dotNorma on 03-18-2007 at 08:45 AM

Sure, you only live once so you might as well be happy.

I just don't see why everybody cares so much about the government acknowledging their marriage. Just have both partners agree on marriage without signing any contracts to the government and its the exact same. Prevents the ridiculous divorces too.

RE: Views on gay marriage by MeEtc on 03-18-2007 at 08:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
I don't care, does not affect how I live in anyway :p.
quote:

doesn't really concern me at all
RE: RE: Views on gay marriage by Cloudly on 03-18-2007 at 09:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RebelSean
quote:

My government sees a marriage between a man and a women. They have also have stated that it's "against God", but then that goes back to the separation between church and state. They've removed the Ten Commandments out of every state & local office, but they're outlawing gay marriage. It's contradictory.

Some of the goverment laws these days are a bit out of hand though.
God's rules and laws shouldn't really effect a non-relgious marriage, so if they really want to marry just let 'em :)
RE: Views on gay marriage by vaccination on 03-18-2007 at 09:09 AM

I see no problem with it, and like dt said, if you love each enough enough, then why shouldn't you be able marry.

Once again: Damned religions *shakes fist*

RE: Views on gay marriage by Discrate on 03-18-2007 at 09:15 AM

I dont really care either, but there is 1 thing that  bothers alot of people. That if a gay couple adopted a child, the child would have trouble understanding why there is 2 guys together or 2 women together, also the child might turn gay becuase he/her parents are gay, children look up to there parents and there parents are kind of there roll model. Plus there is the matter of getting picked on, becuase he/her has gay parents.

RE: Views on gay marriage by vaccination on 03-18-2007 at 09:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
also the child might turn gay becuase he/her parents are gay
So?

What's wrong with the child turning gay too?

I also can't see that much of a problem with a gay couple adopting either, they should be aloud to have kids and feel that love there is between child and parent.

But the bullying would be stupid and not nice for the child. But that is  society's fault for having a problem with gays =/
RE: RE: Views on gay marriage by Discrate on 03-18-2007 at 09:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:
also the child might turn gay becuase he/her parents are gay
So?

What's wrong with the child turning gay too?

I also can't see that much of a problem with a gay couple adopting either, they should be aloud to have kids and feel that love there is between child and parent.

But the bullying would be stupid and not nice for the child. But that is  society's fault for having a problem with gays =/

I have no problem with it. But what people fear is that, the child will turn gay becuase he sees hes parents are so he thinks thats how he is supose to be. When we are all young and are growing up, we look on our parents as roll models.
RE: RE: Views on gay marriage by Vilkku on 03-18-2007 at 09:29 AM

quote:
I dont really care either, but there is 1 thing that  bothers alot of people. That if a gay couple adopted a child, the child would have trouble understanding why there is 2 guys together or 2 women together, also the child might turn gay becuase he/her parents are gay, children look up to there parents and there parents are kind of there roll model. Plus there is the matter of getting picked on, becuase he/her has gay parents.

Yes, but that is a separate matter. There are other things to marriage than children.
RE: RE: RE: Views on gay marriage by Discrate on 03-18-2007 at 09:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
quote:

Yes, but that is a separate matter. There are other things to marriage than children.

I know i was just pointing it out. :)
RE: Views on gay marriage by vaccination on 03-18-2007 at 09:34 AM

quote:
But what people fear is that, the child will turn gay becuase he sees hes parents are so he thinks thats how he is supose to be. When we are all young and are growing up, we look on our parents as roll models.

Well I still see nothing wrong with it, and I don't think other people should either.

RE: Views on gay marriage by RebelSean on 03-18-2007 at 09:50 AM

quote:

As much as I hate to say this, that's life and you have to deal with it. On the contrary to what you said, just because the parents are gay doesn't necessarily mean that the children are gay, that's exactly like saying straight parents kid's will be straight, look at me, I'm gay, they're straight. I understand that a child looks up to their parents, but it's not how people in general are raised, it's a part of life. They don't decide to be gay, or choose to be gay, it's natural. Yes, it may influence it but it doesn't have much affect on a child.
RE: Views on gay marriage by WDZ on 03-18-2007 at 10:06 AM

I'm against it, but I don't really care much about it. :tongue:

The religious crap isn't what bothers me, but rather the social implications. Marriage has always been between a man and a woman... it's an important and well-established tradition in our society. Allowing same-sex couples to be legally married changes the definition of marriage. I don't like change. :-/

Also, it could create a slippery slope... what sorts of marriage will be legalized next?

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate (Quote corrected for spelling)
That if a gay couple adopted a child, the child would have trouble understanding why there is 2 guys together or 2 women together, also the child might turn gay because his/her parents are gay; children look up to their parents and their parents are kind of their role models. Plus there is the matter of getting picked on, because he/she has gay parents.
I kind of agree with this. Think of the children! :( :P

If same-sex marriage is legalized, I imagine lots of people will have difficulty getting used to it...
RE: Views on gay marriage by CookieRevised on 03-18-2007 at 10:23 AM

I disagree with WDZ, and totally agree with all other people. Nothing much to add, everything important has already been said:

- Seperation between church and state
- Law and governement forsees many benefits of married couples. Why should people who love eachother be denied these benefits.
- Children of gay couples do not turn gay automatically (that's pure crap)
- Children of gay couples are no different than other children. (in fact, they may be raised in a more liberal open-minded environment, which, in my eyes, is good)

Though, one thing I haven't seen in this thread yet (explicitly):
- There are two kinds of marriage: marrying before law and marring before the church.

I could understand why marrying before the church (catholic) is not allowed in some countries by the church. Though, this raises the question in how 'straightforward' the catholic church is, since it is allowed in some countries. Go figure...

I can not understand why it would not be allowed to be married before the law though (Unless church and state is not seperated, although that isn't a good thing either, imho).

RE: RE: Views on gay marriage by Vilkku on 03-18-2007 at 10:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Though, one thing I haven't seen in this thread yet (explicitly):
- There are two kinds of marriage: marrying before law and marring before the church.
quote:
I understand if the churches don't want to marry gay couples, but that should be up to them to decide, not the states. They should definitely be allowed to "register" their relationship (not sure what it's called in English, when you just go to some office and say that you are now married, which gives you all the benefits of a married couple in the eyes of the law).

Anyway, considering adopting children... I agree with the points made earlier about them not growing up differently. There are many homeless children all over the world that really could use loving parents, and I can't see how living in a family where both parents are the same gender can be worse than living your entire (most likely short) life in poverty.
RE: RE: Views on gay marriage by Discrate on 03-18-2007 at 10:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I'm against it, but I don't really care much about it. :tongue:

The religious crap isn't what bothers me, but rather the social implications. Marriage has always been between a man and a woman... it's an important and well-established tradition in our society. Allowing same-sex couples to be legally married changes the definition of marriage. I don't like change. :-/

Also, it could create a slippery slope... what sorts of marriage will be legalized next?

quote:
That if a gay couple adopted a child, the child would have trouble understanding why there is 2 guys together or 2 women together, also the child might turn gay because his/her parents are gay; children look up to their parents and their parents are kind of their role models. Plus there is the matter of getting picked on, because he/she has gay parents.

If same-sex marriage is legalized, I imagine lots of people will have difficulty getting used to it...

Yay someone who understood me
RE: RE: Views on gay marriage by Vimto on 03-18-2007 at 10:54 AM

quote:

Ditto
My thoughts exactly.

I like the gays-I like their music, I like their sense of style, I especially like what they've done with Halloween...
RE: Views on gay marriage by Sunshine on 03-18-2007 at 11:02 AM

Marriage in my eyes is mostly to arrange certain law things (heritage, childrens last name, quicker way to a permit to stay in the country of the loved one etc.). Besides that it's an extra promise to stay together (for whatever meaning that still has nowadays with all them divorces...if one thing it does make separating more of a hassle, more painfull law stuff to go through). If a couple of same sexe is living together like opposite sexe couples do and they wish to have these things arranged then i don't see why that shouldn't be possible.

RE: Views on gay marriage by Adeptus on 03-18-2007 at 11:13 AM

quote:
also the child might turn gay becuase he/her parents are gay, children look up to there parents and there parents are kind of there roll model.
People don't turn gay because they see something.  Except to the extent of having been raised in a non-homophobic environment making it easier for an already gay child to accept it, role models make no difference there.
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
You tell me -- there are only two human genders, so I don't see what other permutations in couples are possible, besides opposite gender and same gender.  Including animals and inanimate objects seems like a far leap even from gay marriage.
RE: Views on gay marriage by absorbation on 03-18-2007 at 12:37 PM

Government and religion are two different things, although they often come as a package. I see why gay partnerships should be made legal, as it discriminates against people who don't have religion.

RE: RE: Views on gay marriage by Flaming Rob on 03-18-2007 at 01:08 PM

quote:

I agree with this but sometimes it is off puting to see to blokes kissing  =|)
RE: Views on gay marriage by foaly on 03-18-2007 at 02:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
[qoute]

My niece has to mothers and none off the "problems" stated above...
So atleast those things don't apply by definition...
And I belief they don't apply at all... atleast not where I live...

In our country we have a discussion about if registrar (maybe wrongly translated... the guy/woman that marries people before the law) can deny marrying people because off his/her beliefs...
I think that is wrong...  but it is allowed...
RE: Views on gay marriage by Cloudly on 03-18-2007 at 02:04 PM

I don't think it's such a good idea to have a baby with two dads... 
I don't have a problem with it, but It's the bullying that they'll get from so many people at their schools who DO have a problem with it.

RE: Views on gay marriage by L. Coyote on 03-18-2007 at 03:39 PM

Christian* religion is the foundation of bigotry. They have these sayings like "respect your neighbor" that are always forgotten, instead they hold on to punishments and bloody fairy tales.

Same-sex marriages must be allowed. As well as adoptions, for those couples. There shouldn't even be a discussion about it (in the government).

As long as governments listen to the church, they will never move on. :^)

* When I say "Christian religion" I'm talking about religions that have their roots in God and Jesus (Catholic, Christian, etc.).

RE: Views on gay marriage by haydos on 03-18-2007 at 03:54 PM

I have no problem with gay marriage in general, it's when children become involved that it becomes an issue for me.

Everyone who says "oh they have open minded parenting", or "they'll be more equipped for society" are turning a blind eye to the large numbers of people in society who have a problem with gays. The "children" of these gay parents are automatically stereotyped, and generalised - I can't see any kid on their first day of school going up and saying "oh by the way I have two dads" without any issue. They will be bullied, they could be embarrassed, it can cause many social problems.

I'm not saying that this is the fault of the fathers themselves, it's just the way society is and there's no way around it.

RE: Views on gay marriage by Thor on 03-18-2007 at 03:59 PM

As stated by several people, there's no reason to stop marriage between to people if they love each other.
Before religion mattered really much in our world, now it's not that important, but still some countries take them a bit too serious. Religion shouldn't have a shit to do with lawes (IMO), as it's not the religion that's supposed to control a country.

In Norway, there's been huge discussions on this, and it's still blurry, but if your gay/bi/lesbian you can marry one of your own sexual alignment. However you can't adopt a kid, so it proves that religion has too much power than it should. I doubt that the contries are going to just suddenly switch neutral, but we're allowed to hope.

If you love someone, you love he/she, and the state/country/laws should have anything to do with that. It's your personal way of beeing, and you're just as human as everyone else.

RE: Views on gay marriage by somelauw on 03-18-2007 at 04:02 PM

It would be discrimination if it wasn't allowed, but I really don't like to see them kissing in public. In the Netherlands it is already allowed since 2001. In the United States it will probably last a decennium or 2 before they change mind. People there are all religious.

The United States say they are liberal, but actually they aren't.

RE: Views on gay marriage by qgroessl on 03-18-2007 at 04:03 PM

Yeah... my views on gay marriage are completely summed up by the name of a facebook group I'm in.

Against gay marriage? Then don't get one and shut the f*ck up.

RE: Views on gay marriage by ShawnZ on 03-18-2007 at 04:10 PM

the funny part is this is just a semantic issue

the definition of marriage is between man and woman

once they change it for gay marriage, some idiot in the corner will want to legalize bestiality too

RE: Views on gay marriage by Voldemort on 03-18-2007 at 04:33 PM

quote:
I understand if the churches don't want to marry gay couples, but that should be up to them to decide, not the states. They should definitely be allowed to "register" their relationship (not sure what it's called in English, when you just go to some office and say that you are now married, which gives you all the benefits of a married couple in the eyes of the law).
I agree fully with the above.
About children, I think that they must be grown to understand it....
They have a mind too, so the adopted child's opinion must be taken in account.
RE: Views on gay marriage by Patchou on 03-18-2007 at 07:28 PM

Something I heard one day that I thought really summed things up properly: "Gays have the right to be as miserable as any other person so let them get married".

So really, why should we care? and ShawnZ, don't you think it's going to far to compare gay marriage with animal sex? if a guy loves another guy and wants to live with him, I really don't see why any of us whould have anything to say about it. As for the definition of marriage, it's touchy because it depends on everybody's beleif. I'm for allowing it as state union but let's not push it by forcing churches to recognize it.

RE: Views on gay marriage by Rolando on 03-18-2007 at 07:34 PM

quote:

My thoughts exactly. But I'm against two homosexual people being able to raise kids.. and I've nothing against homosexuals, at all.
RE: Views on gay marriage by CookieRevised on 03-18-2007 at 07:42 PM

Why on earth would two parents of the same gender not be able to raise children, or why would it be bad 'for the children'... that completely beats me...

Rollmodels? sorry, but look at the kids of today and how much the parents are at home or do the upraising. Aka: so it is ok to have a farther who is never at home, it is ok to live with a divorced parent, but it isn't ok to have two parents of the same gender?....

Two words for it, it starts with B and S and ends with L and T... :D

If two people of the same gender want to adopt or even raise a child, why not... They will probably do better than many other non-gay parents.

RE: RE: Views on gay marriage by FrozenDaggers on 03-18-2007 at 07:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Why on earth would two parents of the same gender not be able to raise children, or why would it be bad 'for the children'... that completely beats me...

Rollmodels? sorry, but look at the kids of today and how much the parents are at home or do the upraising. Aka: so it is ok to have a farther who is never at home, it is ok to live with a divorced parent, but it isn't ok to have two parents of the same gender?....

Two words for it, it starts with B and S and ends with L and T... :D

If two people of the same gender want to adopt or even raise a child, why not... They will probably do better than many other non-gay parents.

Agreed.
RE: Views on gay marriage by Joa on 03-18-2007 at 11:32 PM

i don't care tbh :P

so long as it's not a requirement for me to marry another girl :refuck: .. i'm ok with it.

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ

once they change it for gay marriage, some idiot in the corner will want to legalize bestiality too
eew bestiality :sad: .... i heard that some guy in the canadian senate said that "people are not ready for that yet" insinuating that it could become legal in the future... +o(

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I'm for allowing it as state union but let's not push it by forcing churches to recognize it.
same here. yeah, i bet that some christians, muslims, some/ mainly orthodox jews, and some hindu religions would never agree to it.

it would change everything about the religions... and i mean, if one person has one opinion why can't another have their own opinion too.
some religions prohibit eating pork, even though so many others eat it. some prohibit premarital sex. some believe there are alien overlords... etc. ... meh. who cares.

so long as nobody discriminates or forces change upon the other, it's alright in my opinion. do whatever you want :)
RE: Views on gay marriage by Omar on 03-19-2007 at 12:31 AM

well... I don't really care about it...

I'm pissed about people calling other people intolerant just because they do not agree with it... and also pissed at people that tells me that 'its not what god wants'

Let the people vote on it and if the majority agrees... well, then that settles it.

RE: Views on gay marriage by wolfeboy100 on 03-19-2007 at 12:50 AM

it doesn't bother me.  they should be able to have the same rights as straight people

RE: Views on gay marriage by linx05 on 03-19-2007 at 02:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Allowing same-sex couples to be legally married changes the definition of marriage. I don't like change. :-/
Is that why the forum hasn't been updated in a while? ;):P

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Something I heard one day that I thought really summed things up properly: "Gays have the right to be as miserable as any other person so let them get married".
I heard that somewhere too.

I think dt pretty much summed it up. It just annoys me when people say that it isn't in the bible blah blah. So what? They keep saying that their religion and loving and accepting so why not accept the love of two people, whether it be opposite or the same sex.
RE: Views on gay marriage by Val on 03-19-2007 at 02:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Omar
Let the people vote on it and if the majority agrees... well, then that settles it.
For something like this, it shouldn't be a "what the majority says, the majority gets" decision. Lets face it, there are probably more people against gay marriage than for it. The majority of people are mostly religious or with beliefs that gay marriage is wrong, so the legalization would never get passed.

If let's say the majority of people in some country believed that eating a certain type of food is wrong but it didn't have any negative effect on people and was even healthy for you, should it be banned just because the majority said no? I don't think so because there is no reason to ban it except some stupid belief they may have.

I think if two people, be it both male or female, really care for each other they should be able to get married no matter what silly thing it says in some book.
RE: Views on gay marriage by andrewdodd13 on 03-19-2007 at 07:51 AM

I've always believed that marriage is a primitive instinct - a built in mechanism to keep parents together after they've had a child. Because in the days of old, if there was a strong male out doing the hunting, and a loving mother looking after the child, then that child would have a higher chance to grow up than one that got abandoned when father went out to hunt, etc.

Buuuut... Tescos do our hunting these days, and we're not that primitive anymore. So there's nothing wrong with gay marriage. (Actually, there's not much point in marriage at all these days except for the tax benefits, etc. - because even if you get pregnant outside of marriage, the father can still be made to pay money ("alimony" or something, I think its called) to support the child.)

But hey, weddings are fun. So I'm all for it.

RE: Views on gay marriage by surfichris on 03-19-2007 at 08:06 AM

First, going to start this post by stating I'm not a homophobe. I know a few people who have come out & I am fine with them and them doing whatever they want.

I'm against gay marriages.

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
The religious crap isn't what bothers me, but rather the social implications. Marriage has always been between a man and a woman... it's an important and well-established tradition in our society.
Bingo.

And those saying that it has nothing to do with adopting children etc - yes, it will affect that child a lot. Maybe not to be point of them also being gay but it will.

Children are raised with the ideology (at a young age) that there should be a mother and a father in a relationship and a family. Whilst they may learn this outside, it's the affect of living in a family with something different.

The thing is, children (and especially young ones) DO look up to their parents on how a life should be and as role models.
RE: RE: Views on gay marriage by Discrate on 03-19-2007 at 08:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
First, going to start this post by stating I'm not a homophobe. I know a few people who have come out & I am fine with them and them doing whatever they want.

I'm against gay marriages.

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
The religious crap isn't what bothers me, but rather the social implications. Marriage has always been between a man and a woman... it's an important and well-established tradition in our society.
Bingo.

And those saying that it has nothing to do with adopting children etc - yes, it will affect that child a lot. Maybe not to be point of them also being gay but it will.

Children are raised with the ideology (at a young age) that there should be a mother and a father in a relationship and a family. Whilst they may learn this outside, it's the affect of living in a family with something different.

The thing is, children (and especially young ones) DO look up to their parents on how a life should be and as role models.

agreed.
RE: Views on gay marriage by John Anderton on 03-19-2007 at 08:35 AM

If two people love each other, there shouldn't be any reason they aren't allowed to marry.

If you have a problem with it, you could learn to ignore it. Or better yet, get a broader perspective on life.

If its religious reasons that you state then I must say they are total crap. Reasons like "God said blah blah" isn't a valid reason imo. Did he say same sex marriages are not allowed? :P And then again we know this forum's views on God so lets leave that point aside.

If you mean social reasons like smurfi said, that needs a bit more of thought. But imo in his example marriage isn't the problem, adoption is. Then that's one for the adoption agencies to look out for. Why not allow them to marry? Having a family on the other hand can be a bit more complicated 8-) It (having same sexed parents) doesn't necessarily mean that it would have a bad influence on the kids or the parents might not be good or anything. But it could be that way. We have a million cases in our society where the case is the same. Its not always bad but it could be. What do we do there?

My answer is a "yes, it should be allowed" :)

RE: Views on gay marriage by J.J on 03-19-2007 at 11:58 AM

I don't know, I just believe a marriage should be between a man and a woman, and not for people of the same gender.

RE: Views on gay marriage by linx05 on 03-19-2007 at 01:08 PM

quote:
After reading through your post it seems you are a homophobe. What you posted told me that you are scared what two parents of the same sex could do to a child. It seems you are fine with these "people" as "homosexuals" doing whatever they want except for getting married and raising a child. I wonder what they would think if you told them you were against it. How you thought they, being a couple of the same sex, could affect a child so drastically that it would change the childs life forever.

quote:
I don't see how besides a few narrow minded neanderthols teasing them about how they have parents of the same sex.

quote:
How would they know any different when they've been brought up from birth/baby in a loving family with two fathers? Or two mothers? Society teaches us that a family should be comprised of a mother and a father.

quote:
What's wrong with looking up to parents of the same sex? They can still be loving, caring to the kid and themselves. Is it a fact that a gay marriage, equally sucessful and caring as a straight marriage could change the thought process of the child just because they are gay?

It's people like you that keep this sort of narrow minded bullshit in this world. Just because they are gay and do not fit 'societies perfect family' they are not allowed to get married and have children of their own.

What do you think when you see two men holding hands and playing with a child? "Ewww that kid is going to be sooo f@$%ed up when he grows older. He never had the oportunity to live in a 'normal household'. I feel sorry for the poor bugger."

One day I hope gay marriage is legalised and they can adopt or have kids of their own.

p.s. And remember, just because you know "gay people" does not automatically make you not a homophobe.
RE: Views on gay marriage by Eddie on 03-19-2007 at 01:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by J.J
I don't know, I just believe a marriage should be between a man and a woman, and not for people of the same gender.
Fair comment, i dont see anything against it, but thats because it wouldnt really affect my life :\ so i quite frankly dont care to much.
RE: Views on gay marriage by surfichris on 03-19-2007 at 03:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by linx05
After reading through your post it seems you are a homophobe. What you posted told me that you are scared what two parents of the same sex could do to a child. It seems you are fine with these "people" as "homosexuals" doing whatever they want except for getting married and raising a child. I wonder what they would think if you told them you were against it. How you thought they, being a couple of the same sex, could affect a child so drastically that it would change the childs life forever.
I'm offended by that.

I don't consider myself a homophobe by any kind of standard - me saying I don't support gay marriages doesn't make me one either.

Oh, and for your information - they do know I am against it.

I'll reply properly later and recover my points as you don't seem to grasp a few things. :)
RE: Views on gay marriage by somelauw on 03-19-2007 at 05:55 PM

I am not religious but I really would like to see what bible passage says being gay is Satanistic.

RE: Views on gay marriage by Fuse on 03-19-2007 at 06:03 PM

i see people who get married because a brief moment of love and then they decide they hate each other after 6 months (then getting divorced)..now people who do appreciate marriage (whether gay or straight or bi or whatever) should be able to get married.

RE: Views on gay marriage by Vazza on 03-20-2007 at 09:39 PM

Personally it doesn't bother me. If that is what they want, then so be it. At least now here in the UK they are able to recognise that love that they share through civil partnerships, and to be honest, I don't see why they should.

I suppose I can't really say anything since, as a nurse in training, I have to respect the decisions that the patient/client makes. I suppose where difficults lie is when they are in hospital and there are patients and vistors who don't agree with it. It's a decision that they have made and I don't think we should prosectute those who dare to be different. If we were all the same, then progress would never be made :)

RE: Views on gay marriage by paperless on 03-22-2007 at 01:04 AM

Sooner or later things will change..

In the future, married gay couples will be common and adopted children probably wont be a problem anymore because they will not feel "different"...

The world changes..and it takes its own special period of time for changes to happen.
Trying to go too fast or too slowly can cause serious troubles in society.
If gays and people who support gay marriages really bother about this then they should keep fighting for it (that fight causes everyone around to be more and more aware of the problem, making it easier for the change to happen) and it will end up being legalised.
At the moment i honestly think we are not ready for this change..but i see absolutely no problem about gay marriage itself..

RE: Views on gay marriage by Chrono on 03-22-2007 at 04:08 AM

i basically think like surfi. i'm not a homophobe, in fact my best friend is gay. I'm not against gay marriage at all, but i dont like the idea of them adopting a child, for the simple fact that the poor kid would probably be teased at school and i'd hate it tbh, lol :P. Uhm, and most importantly (:P) cause i think it's really important for a kid to have a mum, a female image.

RE: Views on gay marriage by MeEtc on 03-22-2007 at 04:17 AM

Kind of off the conversation, but I had something said to me today that I found rather amusing. I work as a child care person at a school for pre-primary and elementary children.
Anyways, one of them comes up to me today, she is 4 years old I think, and says "If a boy marries another boy, they're not allowed having a baby"

I was like, WTF? random much? (no, I didn't say that to the poor girl) Otherwise, this girl is the sweetest kid you could ever meet.

RE: RE: Views on gay marriage by andrewdodd13 on 03-22-2007 at 07:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
I'm not against gay marriage at all, but i dont like the idea of them adopting a child, for the simple fact that the poor kid would probably be teased at school and i'd hate it tbh, lol :P. Uhm, and most importantly (:P) cause i think it's really important for a kid to have a mum, a female image.

I agree with you on both parts. When you're six years old a person not having a mum is strange concept to deal with if you have one, never mind a person having two dads. People always slag off other people, this is as "good" a reason as any - I've seen kids slag people off because their dad left their mum, and what-not.

The other thing is, in Human Biology right now, we're learning about birth and infant development. Practically everywhere it is talking about the bond between a mother and her child, but not the father. He's rarely mentioned at all.

And as far as I know, it's quite hard for a man to lactate - everyone knows there are benefits to breast milk rather than the artificial stuff (in the first few weeks after birth the mother's breast milk actually contains a high amount of antibodies, which are important so the baby doesn't get seriously ill).
RE: Views on gay marriage by CookieRevised on 03-24-2007 at 04:19 AM

About female role models (or male in lesbian marriages), what is wrong in having an aunt or grandma (and also don't forget about teachers in school... school has a very big impact on education and raising)? Quite often the female role model is done by a female member of the family, this doesn't need to be the 'mother' at all...

If you find it wrong, then what about all those families where the mother has died when the child was very young, etc? Are all those childen "fucked up" then too? I think not...

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
The other thing is, in Human Biology right now, we're learning about birth and infant development. Practically everywhere it is talking about the bond between a mother and her child, but not the father. He's rarely mentioned at all.

And as far as I know, it's quite hard for a man to lactate - everyone knows there are benefits to breast milk rather than the artificial stuff (in the first few weeks after birth the mother's breast milk actually contains a high amount of antibodies, which are important so the baby doesn't get seriously ill).
Infants at that age are not put up for adoption to begin with or put in a gay-family on that age (quite often exactly for these reasons).

And if a gay-couple wants a child the birth-mother always is involved in the first few months. I would indeed have questions (but never forbid it or have real problems with it in general) with 'adopting' a just born child. It depends on who the couple is, what experience they have, the competence, etc.

And that is also exactly what is been investigated by adoption agencies before they let someone adopt a child (or it should be!?).

Also, the bond between mother and child is indeed strong, but this just goes the same for a bond between father and child (talking about lesbian couples now).

What I mean is, everything is a nuance and when one discusses specific scenarions (eg: adopting a baby) one should look at it from case to case.

I've never seen a report or story about a child being "fucked up" (for the lack of a better term) because it was raised by a couple of the same sex. And the theoretical reports of how it would be bad for the child, have always been disproven in practice again and again...

It has everything todo with the upraising and education given to the child. Thus never with the gender of the parents, but with their competence, dispite the fact if they are the same gender or not.

I don't see what one could have against it.

Bullying at school? Then make people aware that there is nothing wrong with it and that the problem are the bullies, not the fathers or mothers of the child. Children with glasses and braces are quite often bullied too, does that make glasses and braces a bad thing?

Bond/female role model? There are almost always female role models very near. Grandma, aunt, teacher, etc... etc... Also, think about the one parent families, are those bad too then?

Unnatural? So what? Beer or soda doesn't grow on trees either, yet we all drink it (and it even has been prooven healthy, if you drink it smartly). And I also could bring the glasses and braces example into this too.

Religion? Ok, granted. But still, if the gay-couple's religion would prevent it, they wouldn't have a child in the first place. And if it is against other people's religion, so what. It isn't their problem or their child...

The bottom line is that it may not "feel" alright to you... but that doesn't make it a bad thing. It just means you're not used to it... (Fear for the unknown...?)

quote:
Originally posted by paperless
Sooner or later things will change..
(...)
In the future, married gay couples will be common and adopted children probably wont be a problem anymore because they will not feel "different"...

RE: Views on gay marriage by qgroessl on 03-26-2007 at 02:12 AM

Sorry to bring back this thread... but I know people have this opinion... and I figured I'd post this news article...
Lesbian asks courts to deny gay adoption

EDIT: and apparently I don'tk now how to put urls, but fixed now.

I don't agree with this btw... I think it's crap.

RE: Views on gay marriage by williamhook on 03-26-2007 at 02:27 AM

It should be allowed. :)

RE: Views on gay marriage by Curtis on 03-26-2007 at 02:59 AM

I couldn't care less, I'm not gay, and I know very few gay people.  If they wanted me to support it, I would, because they're my friends.

RE: Views on gay marriage by Lou on 03-26-2007 at 03:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
i basically think like surfi. i'm not a homophobe, in fact my best friend is gay. I'm not against gay marriage at all, but i dont like the idea of them adopting a child, for the simple fact that the poor kid would probably be teased at school and i'd hate it tbh, lol [Image: msn_tongue.gif][Image: msn_tongue.gif]. Uhm, and most importantly ( cause i think it's really important for a kid to have a mum, a female image.
Let me give you an example of someone without a female model, someone who gets off fine.

Whether there is 1 father and 1 mother, 2 mothers, or 2 fathers, as cookie said, it all depends on the education and not the gender of the parents. I currently live with my dad, and not with my mother. Divorce. This is an issue that, regardless of gay marriage laws and etc, exists, and is the major cause for kids without a female/male image. Many times, the child in question sees more one parent than the other. In my case, my mother outright told me never to go back again. Down went the female image. Has it made me a worse person? Not really. I manage my life fine, and it doesn't affect the way everything else in my life goes. It's not an issue what the parents are like inside their pants, but an issue of how the parents treat their children, and how the parents teach their children.
RE: Views on gay marriage by linx05 on 03-29-2007 at 06:09 AM

So it seems there is more people for gay marriage. Great to see I think. I am still interested in Chris's final reply as he said I missed some things.

RE: Views on gay marriage by ayjay on 03-29-2007 at 04:13 PM

Entirely for it. No reason at all that it should be a problem. The arguments about it traditionally being a ceremony between a man and a woman are ridiculous, there are many other traditions that have changed as we became less ignorant. Marriage is also traditionally a religious ceremony, but I very much doubt that the majority of people getting married today (in places like the UK, at least) are religious. If people dislike the idea of it because it's traditionally for different-sex couples, they obviously have a problem with gay people whether they'll admit it or not.

As for the matter of gay couples adopting children, I see no reason why there should be a problem for the child. I haven't studied psychology, so I'm not pretending I know all about it :P, but when a child has two same-sex parents who love and care for it, it is surely better than a child who has had one of its parents abandon it at a young age, leaving it with either an all-male or all-female influence (which isn't exactly uncommon - especially here in chavland :P). The child is going to experience hundreds of different people (as well as plenty of other couples, so it's not going to have the idea that same-sex couples are "the norm") as it grows up, so it'll have plenty of female figures in its life (neighbours, teachers, aunts, grandmas...)

RE: Views on gay marriage by redscheme on 03-29-2007 at 04:20 PM

I'm fine with gay marriage. gays raising children its fine as well. as long as the couple is financial stable and completely supportive i don't see a reason why they cant have a child. as for the mother figure ... there are plenty of other female role models for the child

(EX: grandma, aunts, friends etc)

RE: Views on gay marriage by RebelSean on 04-15-2007 at 08:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by J.J

I'm a curious person, as you already know, and I'd like to hear why you think marriage should be between a man and a women. I'm not going to troll you or anything, I'm just curious :).
RE: RE: Views on gay marriage by Discrate on 04-15-2007 at 08:33 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by J.J

I'm a curious person, as you already know, and I'd like to hear why you think marriage should be between a man and a women. I'm not going to troll you or anything, I'm just curious :).

maybe becuase its not normal...
RE: Views on gay marriage by RebelSean on 04-15-2007 at 08:35 AM

quote:

How is it not normal? In todays society it's everywhere. It's been happening for quite some time now, but has recently became an "issue" for the government.
RE: RE: Views on gay marriage by Discrate on 04-15-2007 at 08:46 AM

quote:
quote:

How is it not normal? In todays society it's everywhere. It's been happening for quite some time now, but has recently became an "issue" for the government.

The reason i say its not normal, is becuase normally a man and a woman get married therefor, 2 women or 2 men getting married is not normal. Its like saying normally people dont eat droppings so its not normal is you do eat dog droppings.
RE: Views on gay marriage by CookieRevised on 04-15-2007 at 09:55 AM

"normal" in this case is just a thing which you define. What is abnormal for you can be perfectly normal for the majority of others.

Thus if you find it not normal, is the same as you believing it is not right... Hence not an answer on why you find it not normal...

eg:
I find it not normal
Why?
I believe it is not right
Why???
I find it not normal
Why????
I believe it is not right
Why????
etc...