Shoutbox

give away an old account!!! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: give away an old account!!! (/showthread.php?tid=72809)

give away an old account!!! by couragous on 03-19-2007 at 04:21 PM

I was wondering is there a place where I can post old emails of mine so people can use them

RE: give away an old account!!! by Voldemort on 03-19-2007 at 04:24 PM

just abandon the account, don't login for.... i think it was for 3 months and the account will be deleted and free again for other people.

RE: give away an old account!!! by couragous on 03-19-2007 at 04:28 PM

I did abandon it but I want somebody to take it

RE: give away an old account!!! by Voldemort on 03-19-2007 at 04:33 PM

Er....... Someone will register it eventually after a while....

RE: give away an old account!!! by MeEtc on 03-19-2007 at 04:34 PM

well then post it here, and i'm sure it will get hijacked. Just don't leave any personal info still attached to the account. delete all mail in all of your folders, empty your contact lists, change your secret question and password, update all of the other online services that you have signed up with that address, and then maybe people won't be able to take any personal info from you.

Highly recommend just abandoning the account and letting it expire.

RE: give away an old account!!! by absorbation on 03-19-2007 at 08:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort

Not possible, once an account name has been taken, it can never be used by anyone else again :P.
RE: give away an old account!!! by CookieRevised on 03-20-2007 at 03:27 AM

We are talking about a Hotmail email? Because this is not clear in any post...

If it is an hotmail email:

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort

Not possible, once an account name has been taken, it can never be used by anyone else again :P.
yes it will, after it gets expired/removed...

see "CookieRevised's reply to Question (hotmail.co.uk account inactive)"...

Also, I really would not recommend putting your old emails in public. As said before, simply don't use it anymore and let it expire; that is the most safest way.

Stuff will still be stored under your account when it is active. Stuff which you probably didn't think of clearing (thinking about the reverse contact list, roaming info, server cached stuff, etc, etc). So do NOT place your account in public for others to use. Not only is this not safe for you, it might also be an invasion of privacy towards your previous contacts.

Let it expire instead or request Microsoft to remove it.
RE: give away an old account!!! by absorbation on 03-20-2007 at 06:38 PM

He was referring to someone new signing up with his account, which is impossible. An example being if I have example@hotmail.com on my contact list, who becomes inactive, and his account removed. Someone else cannot sign up with example@hotmail.com, because then I could talk to example@hotmail.com, thinking it was something else. It also means any subscriptions to online services will still be received in the inbox, as well as other aspects that require an email address. You could inherit someone's identity, thus making it impossible to sign up taking over an old account.

RE: give away an old account!!! by CookieRevised on 03-21-2007 at 11:17 AM

quote:
He was referring to someone new signing up with his account
Where? he was talking about emails and email accounts, I don't see any mention of messenger account, windows live id or .NET passport.
RE: give away an old account!!! by absorbation on 03-21-2007 at 05:40 PM

I was referring to Voldemort's quote :).

RE: give away an old account!!! by Voldemort on 03-21-2007 at 08:05 PM

quote:
He was referring to someone new signing up with his account, which is impossible. An example being if I have example@hotmail.com on my contact list, who becomes inactive, and his account removed. Someone else cannot sign up with example@hotmail.com, because then I could talk to example@hotmail.com, thinking it was something else. It also means any subscriptions to online services will still be received in the inbox, as well as other aspects that require an email address. You could inherit someone's identity, thus making it impossible to sign up taking over an old account.
No, I really meant what cookie said :P
RE: give away an old account!!! by CookieRevised on 03-21-2007 at 08:18 PM

Oh well... bottom line I guess is let it expire and don't put it in public or something ;):p

RE: give away an old account!!! by Pyro on 03-24-2007 at 09:27 AM

can i have it?? :P

RE: give away an old account!!! by joey on 03-24-2007 at 10:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Oh well... bottom line I guess is let it expire and don't put it in public or something ;):p

if he has personal/confidential information thats automatically sent to that address and you're reading it, you could do anything with it. and btw its free to get a microsoft email account  :P -
https://accountservices.passport.net/reg.srf?id=2...ry=UK&sl=1&lc=2057