Shoutbox

My Site + Firefox 3 Alpha's - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: My Site + Firefox 3 Alpha's (/showthread.php?tid=72871)

My Site + Firefox 3 Alpha's by Eddie on 03-21-2007 at 09:59 AM

Ok with my website http://www.haboz.net whenever somebody tries and view it with Firefox 3 Alpha 2 it goes all weird, if you have Alpha 2 and go to my site you will see what i mean, i know it is an alpha, and we advise people downgrade to older versions but people still try and browse the site with it, if anybody knows why it does what it does then please let me know, because i want it fixed sooner than later :(

RE: My Site + Firefox 3 Alpha's by Ezra on 03-21-2007 at 10:09 AM

Well, that's because your HTML source is VERY incorrect.

To be very honest, it's the biggest pile of random code i've ever seen and i'm very surprised it even works in other browsers...

I suggest you read through the HTML basics again ;)
http://w3schools.com/html/default.asp

RE: My Site + Firefox 3 Alpha's by Eddie on 03-21-2007 at 10:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
Well, that's because your HTML source is VERY incorrect.

To be very honest, it's the biggest pile of random code i've ever seen and i'm very surprised it even works in other browsers...
Well explain to me why it works in everything except Alpha 2 of FF3 *-) Half the code was written using Dreamweaver, and some was recently updated.
RE: My Site + Firefox 3 Alpha's by -dt- on 03-21-2007 at 10:13 AM

ok your website is horrible.

• you have no doctype
  • you are using multiable <html> tags where there should only one opening and one closing tag per document
  • you have random closing tags when there are no opening tags
  • you have elements like <style type="text/css"></style> which does nothing
  • more random closing tags
  • you have a doctype half way down your page, oh and another set of <head> tags
  • some crappy copyright which doesnt include "i copied and pasted this code hence why it is pure crap"

Edit
there is no possible way that crap was made using dreamweaver
RE: My Site + Firefox 3 Alpha's by Ezra on 03-21-2007 at 10:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
Well explain to me why it works in everything except Alpha 2 of FF3

If the HTML source of a page is incorrect the browser switches to Quirks mode, where it tries to make the best out of the page.
I guess they changed the Quirks behavior in FF3 Gecko 1.9 to force people to make correct HTML source.
RE: My Site + Firefox 3 Alpha's by Eddie on 03-21-2007 at 10:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-

ok your website is horrible.
  • you have no doctype
  • you are using multiable <html> tags where there should only one opening and one closing tag per document
  • you have random closing tags when there are no opening tags
  • you have elements like <style type="text/css"></style> which does nothing
  • more random closing tags
  • you have a doctype half way down your page, oh and another set of <head> tags
  • some crappy copyright which doesnt include "i copied and pasted this code hence why it is pure crap"

Edit
there is no possible way that crap was made using dreamweaver
It was made with dreamweaver, but includes miscoded php includes (pages), which i will fix up as soon as i can, i have been clearing up the code slowly, and the code was not copied and pasted for your information. Thanks for the criticism i guess ;)

EDIT: From what i see on the frontpage i have now cleared any un-needed head tags and crap...and what do you advise i add as doctype?
RE: My Site + Firefox 3 Alpha's by Nagamasa on 03-21-2007 at 11:08 AM

quote:
and what do you advise i add as doctype?
XHTML?
quote:
It was made with dreamweaver
Yea Dreamweaver doesn't close everything, and has lots of excess code...
RE: My Site + Firefox 3 Alpha's by Eddie on 03-21-2007 at 11:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
quote:
and what do you advise i add as doctype?
XHTML?
quote:
It was made with dreamweaver
Yea Dreamweaver doesn't close everything, and has lots of excess code...
Well if someones willing to help me out with cleaning it up, i will be very thankful :)
RE: My Site + Firefox 3 Alpha's by Nagamasa on 03-21-2007 at 11:16 AM

quote:
Well if someones willing to help me out with cleaning it up, i will be very thankful :)
http://validator.w3.org

That's what I used (link originally given by Felu) to check up my new site.

RE: My Site + Firefox 3 Alpha's by Eddie on 03-21-2007 at 11:36 AM

After clearing a MASSIVE amount of bugs, this now works:

http://www.haboz.net/v6/index3.php

Can you check and make sure? :)

Heaps missing, but i will just have to find new ways of coding it in.

RE: My Site + Firefox 3 Alpha's by albert on 03-21-2007 at 12:34 PM

quote:

hey, how are you?

I want you to know that whatever I am going to write is not meant to be taken in a mean way. It is only meant to be understood so your website can actually get better.

As mentioned above, the coding isn't that great at all, you got tables all over the place, and it makes people think if this is really worth a domain, of if it is only a try at coding a website, which should end up somewhere on geocities.com

Anyhow, please take the advice given above, and do read the w3 section about HTML and CSS. It WILL help, trust me, I used to code worse than you.. (not that I code perfectly now, but much better, and even I can see the difference).

It won't take you that much time, and will be worth it.
Good luck.

RE: My Site + Firefox 3 Alpha's by Thor on 03-21-2007 at 12:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
XHTML?
Just use HTML, it's getting continued, and IE doesn't even support xhtml properly, so he might aswell just use nice correct HTML.
RE: My Site + Firefox 3 Alpha's by Eddie on 03-21-2007 at 02:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alby
quote:

hey, how are you?

I want you to know that whatever I am going to write is not meant to be taken in a mean way. It is only meant to be understood so your website can actually get better.

As mentioned above, the coding isn't that great at all, you got tables all over the place, and it makes people think if this is really worth a domain, of if it is only a try at coding a website, which should end up somewhere on geocities.com

Anyhow, please take the advice given above, and do read the w3 section about HTML and CSS. It WILL help, trust me, I used to code worse than you.. (not that I code perfectly now, but much better, and even I can see the difference).

It won't take you that much time, and will be worth it.
Good luck.
Thanks, but i dont exactly have the time to read through tutorials right now, with the piles of homework i have, if the website is viewable to a 13 year olds eyes then i dont mind, because that is the audience of the website, its not a professional website. But i will read them in the future, thanks (Y)