Shoutbox

Portuguese may have discovered Australia - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Portuguese may have discovered Australia (/showthread.php?tid=72888)

Portuguese may have discovered Australia by paperless on 03-22-2007 at 12:45 AM

quote:
SYDNEY, Australia (Reuters) -- A 16th century maritime map in a Los Angeles library vault proves that Portuguese adventurers, not British or Dutch, were the first Europeans to discover Australia, says a new book which details the secret discovery of Australia.

The book "Beyond Capricorn" says the map, which accurately marks geographical sites along Australia's east coast in Portuguese, proves that Portuguese seafarer Christopher de Mendonca led a fleet of four ships into Botany Bay in 1522 -- almost 250 years before Britain's Captain James Cook.

Australian author Peter Trickett said that when he enlarged the small map he could recognize all the headlands and bays in Botany Bay in Sydney -- the site where Cook claimed Australia for Britain in 1770.

"It was even so accurate that I found I could draw in the modern airport runways, to scale in the right place, without any problem at all," Trickett told Reuters on Wednesday.

Source and full story

Always good to know something like this, not that it will be of any use but its history.
RE: Portuguese may have discovered Australia by Eddie on 03-22-2007 at 12:51 AM

Its certainly interesting to have found something that could change the way that we have seen history, although i don't think there is a point in changing the way it is seen already, Captain James Cook will always be famous for exploring Australia. IMO anyway :)

RE: RE: Portuguese may have discovered Australia by paperless on 03-22-2007 at 12:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
Its certainly interesting to have found something that could change the way that we have seen history, although i don't think there is a point in changing the way it is seen already, Captain James Cook will always be famous for exploring Australia. IMO anyway :)

Of course, usually the guy who is known for the discovery is usually the guy/nation who colonised it. And theres no doubt that australia was colonised by the british.
RE: Portuguese may have discovered Australia by linx05 on 03-22-2007 at 01:00 AM

Or the Aboriginals :P

p.s. I want to see this map!

RE: RE: Portuguese may have discovered Australia by Vilkku on 03-22-2007 at 09:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by linx05

The Aboriginals might be Portuguese! DUN DUN DUNN!
RE: Portuguese may have discovered Australia by Discrate on 03-22-2007 at 09:06 AM

The Portuguese may have discoverd Australia but the  Aboriginals were the first people to inhabit australia, thousands of years ago. When i was in primary school i was still told that captin cook discoverd australia 8-)

RE: Portuguese may have discovered Australia by Rolando on 03-22-2007 at 12:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
The Aboriginals might be Portuguese! DUN DUN DUNN!

:lol:

Thanks for the info, sounds intersting

RE: Portuguese may have discovered Australia by linx05 on 03-22-2007 at 01:31 PM

quote:
quote:

Yes its the Aboriginals land i guess *-) but the British colonised the country and made it advance *-)
Racist much?
RE: Portuguese may have discovered Australia by Eddie on 03-22-2007 at 01:41 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Deleted Post
Racist much?
I wasnt trying to be racist, sorry :S
RE: RE: Portuguese may have discovered Australia by Discrate on 03-22-2007 at 08:40 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Deleted Post
Racist much?
I wasnt trying to be racist, sorry :S

What you said was not 1 bit racist.
RE: Portuguese may have discovered Australia by linx05 on 03-23-2007 at 07:56 AM

The way he typed it with the emoticon that was used made it racist to me. "Pfttt yeah right, the aboriginals land".

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
x2

Some people try so hard not to be racist that when someone says the word aboriginal in a bad way, they get called racist. I don't think that the aboriginals could of advanced as much as we have if they were the only ones here.
Phillip, if someone says something bad against another race or as you put it, says the word aboriginal in a bad way, that is called racism. Who knows what they could have done if the British didn't come.
RE: Portuguese may have discovered Australia by absorbation on 03-23-2007 at 06:06 PM

Nice article, but I doubt the one source can be used as evidence. Hopefully new research will prove or disprove this and open light on the history of Australia :).