Shoutbox

DSL and Dial up in the same line? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: DSL and Dial up in the same line? (/showthread.php?tid=72915)

DSL and Dial up in the same line? by Omar on 03-23-2007 at 06:22 AM

A friend of mine has a question... some of you might know the answer...

quote:
I want DSL so I can get into Xbox Live, and because i'm sick of slow internet, but all we have is dial up. Now the problem is, my mom is a stubborn bitch and doesn't want to change her shitty internet provider.

I know DSL doesn't tie up phone lines, with it's router and filters and what not. So would that apply to fax/dial-up too and make it possible to have DSL service and dial-up on one line?

I'm trying to compromise, keeping dial up and not changing the phone line in a different room.

RE: DSL and Dial up in the same line? by NiteMare on 03-23-2007 at 06:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Omar
A friend of mine has a question... some of you might know the answer...
theoreticaly, since dsl and dial up use different parts of the phone line, it should work, but i have never tested that.
RE: DSL and Dial up in the same line? by Kenji on 03-23-2007 at 08:01 AM

Yeah, it should work. I used to do that when we only had a USB modem.

RE: DSL and Dial up in the same line? by Underlord on 03-23-2007 at 08:35 AM

Your friend's mother is wasting her money. Get your friend to "accidentally" get the dial up service cut off then hook her into the DSL router.

RE: DSL and Dial up in the same line? by kao on 03-23-2007 at 06:05 PM

She needs to realise what a waste that is.

if the dialup plugs into a filter then the phone line then it will work while the dsl is in use, just like the phones would (if the dialup isn't in use =p) afaik.

RE: DSL and Dial up in the same line? by lizard.boy on 03-24-2007 at 02:47 AM

Wow, how stupid is that? Throw a router in the mix and the problem is solved. No reason to keep dial-up when theres a DSL connection in the building. (Throttle her to 56kbps if she's that stubborn).

No reason it wouldn't work though, since using dial up is essentially the same as making a phone call, which you can do while using dsl.

RE: DSL and Dial up in the same line? by NiteMare on 03-24-2007 at 03:09 AM

i see this all the time at work, people think "oh no, new stuff, high speed? more equipment? more hassel"