Shoutbox

users on xp - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: users on xp (/showthread.php?tid=72944)

users on xp by Discrate on 03-24-2007 at 04:39 AM

You know how on windows xp you can have different user accounts, if your account is locked and you dont remember the password, is there a way you can get into it?

I have been locked out of my suer account and i really need to get back in.

RE: users on xp by John Anderton on 03-24-2007 at 05:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
You know how on windows xp you can have different user accounts, if your account is locked and you dont remember the password, is there a way you can get into it?

I have been locked out of my suer account and i really need to get back in.
Well if one of the other users is an admin, tell them to go into their account, start > control panel > user accounts > your account > reset password :)
If there are no other admins then there isn't a way to unlock your account :(
RE: users on xp by MattyRid on 03-24-2007 at 05:12 AM

this tends to work with XP pro, but I'm not 100% sure about XP home but you could try loading up in safe mode and getting into the "administrator" account and changing your password that way.

RE: RE: users on xp by Discrate on 03-24-2007 at 05:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MattyRid
this tends to work with XP pro, but I'm not 100% sure about XP home but you could try loading up in safe mode and getting into the "administrator" account and changing your password that way.

ok thanks, how do you get into safemode? :^)
RE: users on xp by MeEtc on 03-24-2007 at 05:21 AM

hold 'ctrl' before the bootscreen comes on until the boot select menu appears

RE: RE: RE: users on xp by MattyRid on 03-24-2007 at 05:23 AM

quote:
quote:

I do it by pressing F8 as your computer starts up until you get a menu and one says "Safe Mode" and an "Administrator" account should show up.
RE: users on xp by NiteMare on 03-24-2007 at 05:39 AM

quote:
How to get in to windows safe mode
RE: RE: RE: RE: users on xp by Discrate on 03-24-2007 at 05:41 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

I do it by pressing F8 as your computer starts up until you get a menu and one says "Safe Mode" and an "Administrator" account should show up.

once again thanks, i have got in and change my password, everything is good now.
RE: users on xp by scott2010_h on 03-24-2007 at 05:44 AM

when you do get in and reset your password make sure you use the password Forgotten wizard

RE: users on xp by John Anderton on 03-24-2007 at 06:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scott2010_h
Meh. I never use that :P I am the only admin on my box so that the account is pretty well locked up :)
RE: RE: users on xp by MattyRid on 03-24-2007 at 06:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
Meh. I never use that :P I am the only admin on my box so that the account is pretty well locked up :)

I've never had to use it myself, but I have seen it done before on various computers with XP Pro on it, hence why I'm not 100% sure about XP Home.
RE: users on xp by NiteMare on 03-24-2007 at 06:28 AM

quote:
I've never had to use it myself, but I have seen it done before on various computers with XP Pro on it, hence why I'm not 100% sure about XP Home.
it works on both home and pro, i've talked several aol members through it on both versions

off topic: god damn can it be hard to get an aol member to find the keyboard sometimes
RE: users on xp by Felu on 03-24-2007 at 06:28 AM

quote:
It works on Media Center Edition aswell. I've tried it lots of times.
RE: RE: users on xp by Vilkku on 03-24-2007 at 08:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Felu
quote:
It works on Media Center Edition aswell. I've tried it lots of times.

Yes, but that's basically Pro with some extras :)