Shoutbox

Away from home internet connection ... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Away from home internet connection ... (/showthread.php?tid=73014)

Away from home internet connection ... by dizzy on 03-25-2007 at 04:26 PM

Hiya,

I went away last week and found myself unable to access the internet. I took my laptop hoping for a wireless connection but couldn’t pick any up! Next time I’m away, I've decided to sort out a dial-up connection using my mobile phone like I see people do in coffee bars etc. What I need to know is  -

1) Is it a case of just using a lead connecting my phone to my laptop? Would such a lead have come with my mobile phone when I bought it (the box is up the loft) or are they bought as a phone accessory?

2) Do I need a lead at all with bluetooth?

3) Do I have to arrange a dial-up connection with my ISP even though I am a BB user?

4) Would I have to pay on top of my BB package for dial-up access?

Thanks in anticipation …

RE: Away from home internet connection ... by kao on 03-25-2007 at 04:44 PM

If you use the cable you should be able to use the WAP on the phone to establish a (slow) connection afaik.

You may be able to use Bluetooth to do it, I've never tried.

RE: Away from home internet connection ... by Nathan on 03-25-2007 at 04:46 PM

You can use bluetooth if your phone supports it.
Most phones do now adays its just about enabling it. It was piss easy for me. Connected my phone up via my  laptop and it almost worked instantly

RE: Away from home internet connection ... by dizzy on 03-25-2007 at 07:24 PM

Okay thanks...

I can't quite believe how easy it all was in the end. After connecting my laptop to my mobile via bluetooth and following easy dial-up connection settings using the dial-up code *99# I  connected to the net :) It was a bit slower but I could access all my usual sites. Incredible!!

The only problem is, my phone is on the Virgin Mobile Network and their downloading charges are phenominal - I used around four quid in 5 minutes :( I naively thought charges might go on time and not mb's downloaded :(

RE: Away from home internet connection ... by joemailey on 03-26-2007 at 12:58 PM

Mobile phones all charge on MB's downloaded. times worth nothing ur data takes there network resources.

RE: Away from home internet connection ... by Nathan on 03-26-2007 at 01:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by joemailey
Mobile phone providers
:)
RE: Away from home internet connection ... by joemailey on 03-26-2007 at 02:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
quote:
Originally posted by joemailey
Mobile phone providers
:)

typed that in a rush im in work good correction sir!! :)
RE: Away from home internet connection ... by Adeptus on 03-26-2007 at 03:16 PM

There are two ways this can work.  What you are using is GPRS or EDGE service from the mobile provider.

The idea in your initial post, of calling a dialup ISP, also works.  If you do that, there won't be per-megabyte charges, just what it would normaly cost you to make the call (in money or plan minutes) -- however, you need a dialup account, and this kind of connection will be slower and less reliable than GPRS.

I occasionally use the dialup method, which for me works out free -- I have a dialup account from work and plenty of unused call time on my voice plan.