Shoutbox

Are these dvds dodgy? (eBay) *URGENT* - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Are these dvds dodgy? (eBay) *URGENT* (/showthread.php?tid=73093)

Are these dvds dodgy? (eBay) *URGENT* by M73A on 03-28-2007 at 07:19 PM

I emailed this guy because i would like some of his dvds... but his faq says:

quote:

Q:     What region are your dvd's

A:     All dvd's are region 2 compatible, As our supplier brings the dvd's in from outside of the UK the region may be shown as R1, R3 on the cover when you receive your dvd. But please be assured are supplier changes the region code of the dvd so it will always work in the UK.

i messaged him saying:

your supplier changes the region code of the dvd? wouldn't that make them a copy thats had the regional settings removed?

i got:

quote:
No, a copy is if some one is manufacturing disks which are supplier does not they buy the dvd's in bulk from other cheaper regions and then change the dvd's regional coding to R2 so they play in the UK.

If you think about it in another way, One season of this in HMV is between £30-45 where as on eBay its just ranging from £10-22 so therefore the stock needs to be sourced from cheaper countries.

so i replied:

kk thanks, just thought that the process of changing the region coding involved writing info to the finalised dvd?

quote:
Hi,

I wouldnt be able to answer that question really as im not that technical, All i can see is ive seen the products and had guarantees from the company they are genuine... And they have an import licence so thats about all i know about it...

Many Thanks

to me it seems like an excuse and dodging admitting that the could be copies...

or is it possible to decode the regions of a dvd without making a brand new disc

Thanks

p.s. urgent because auction ends soon and i want to bid if they are legit:P
RE: Are these dvds dodgy? (eBay) *URGENT* by Voldemort on 03-28-2007 at 08:35 PM

It seems like a lie to me :P

anything too good to be true...

RE: Are these dvds dodgy? (eBay) *URGENT* by prashker on 03-28-2007 at 08:37 PM

download em :p.

RE: Are these dvds dodgy? (eBay) *URGENT* by M73A on 03-28-2007 at 08:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
download em :p.

will take sooooooooooooooooooooo long:P plus i love having things on dvd:P

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
It seems like a lie to me :P

anything too good to be true...
sneaky bastard! lol... dunno, only one way to find out *-)

so it is IMPOSSIBLE to change the region of a dvd without making a brand new copy?
RE: Are these dvds dodgy? (eBay) *URGENT* by Voldemort on 03-28-2007 at 09:37 PM

Well... I can't find a way to... unless they are copied... still, you can buy any version of the DVD and get the hack for region-independent play for your DVD device...

RE: Are these dvds dodgy? (eBay) *URGENT* by Chrono on 03-28-2007 at 11:06 PM

quote:
Well... I can't find a way to... unless they are copied... still, you can buy any version of the DVD and get the hack for region-independent play for your DVD device...
or get a decent dvd player that plays any region :P
RE: Are these dvds dodgy? (eBay) *URGENT* by Voldemort on 03-28-2007 at 11:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
quote:
or get a decent dvd player that plays any region :P
its really simple, just access some secret menus...
my dvd plays all regions
RE: Are these dvds dodgy? (eBay) *URGENT* by CookieRevised on 03-29-2007 at 03:34 AM

quote:
its really simple, just access some secret menus...
my dvd plays all regions
not all dvd players have such "secret menus" ;)

Anyways,

M73A, do you have a link to those DVD's?
RE: Are these dvds dodgy? (eBay) *URGENT* by linx05 on 03-29-2007 at 05:14 AM

The guy obviously is a little dull. You cannot change the region on a already burnt DVD. He has infact bought the DVDs (who can say he even did that?), ripped them to his computer, changed the region code or removed it entirely then burned it back.

If he went from DL to a single layer disc that means he would have to compress the DVD, lets hope he used a good encoder!

Remember, DVDs are read only once you have burnt to it (excluding RW etc). So there is no way he could change anything on the DVD he *bought*.

My tip, forget about buying DVDs on Ebay. Unless the one you are after is very rare. Get a proper DVD Player which will play all regions and buy from a proper online store like Amazon for example.

I would be interested in seeing the the Ebay page aswell. I'll send him a few questions. Also, give me the model number of your DVD player.

RE: Are these dvds dodgy? (eBay) *URGENT* by aNILEator on 03-29-2007 at 07:31 AM

tbh you're only losing what £10-15?

not losing out on much are you

RE: Are these dvds dodgy? (eBay) *URGENT* by joey on 03-29-2007 at 08:57 AM

quote:
The guy obviously is a little dull. You cannot change the region on a already burnt DVD. He has infact bought the DVDs (who can say he even did that?), ripped them to his computer, changed the region code or removed it entirely then burned it back.

well not everyone is an expert on DVD's and copying them, so he's probably just trying to con a few people that are as equally stupid as him.