Shoutbox

Internet sharing stops when computer is left on standby - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Internet sharing stops when computer is left on standby (/showthread.php?tid=73109)

Internet sharing stops when computer is left on standby by Felu on 03-29-2007 at 12:50 AM

Hi there

I've noticed that Internet sharing stops on my computer if i leave it on standby for even 5 mins. Though the other computer which shares the same modem gets its share of internet. I've checked Energy Saving Settings but i don't think they should be the problem. The settings are as follows
Power schemes - Home/Office Desk
Turn off Monitor - Never
Turn off hard disks - Never
System Standby - Never
System Hibernater - Never

If anyone knows why this happens and a solution to it you are welcome to post a reply :).

Looking forward to your replies.
Felu

PS: I mean Packet transfering by internet sharing.

RE: Internet sharing stops when computer is left on standby by CookieRevised on 03-29-2007 at 12:46 PM

This might be a long shot, but have you checked your power settings under your BIOS too?

RE: Internet sharing stops when computer is left on standby by Felu on 03-30-2007 at 02:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
This might be a long shot, but have you checked your power settings under your BIOS too?
Nope, I'm installing Vista on the computer atm. Will try putting it on stand-by again. If it fails again, i'll check power settings in BIOS too.  And thanks for the reply, I never knew that there were power settings to be checked in BIOS as well.

Edit: Same thing seems to be happening in vista, i'll check BIOS now.
Edit2: Everything seems to be fine in BIOS too :S.
RE: Internet sharing stops when computer is left on standby by dotNorma on 03-30-2007 at 02:56 AM

Vista stand by shuts down the hard drive so you wouldn't be able to share any information stored there. ( I would think)

What exactly do you mean by internet sharing, btw? Like seeding a torrent....or?

RE: Internet sharing stops when computer is left on standby by qgroessl on 03-30-2007 at 03:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dotNorma
What exactly do you mean by internet sharing, btw? Like seeding a torrent....or?

quote:
Originally posted by Felu
PS: I mean Packet transfering by internet sharing

RE: Internet sharing stops when computer is left on standby by MeEtc on 03-30-2007 at 04:05 AM

I was talking to felu yesterday, and here's what I got out of him

Topology: ADSL modem connected via USB to computer with problem, and CAT5 to another computer without problems.

The computer connected via USB completely loses all data transfer after an amount of time, while the LAN connection continues to function. This occurs even when the LAN computer is off (although some computers continue to power the NIC to some degree even with the power off)

ipconfig /release and /renew have no effect
The driver for the connection was re-installed to the T
resetting the modem fixes the problem

I suggested that the problem might be with the modem, as it was working before.
My guess is that the modem doesn't like having both the LAN and USB connected at the same time, and also suggested in investing in a router.

RE: Internet sharing stops when computer is left on standby by Felu on 03-30-2007 at 05:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
ADSL modem connected via USB to computer
Tried with LAN this morning. Same thing :(