Shoutbox

best way to image a hard drive... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: best way to image a hard drive... (/showthread.php?tid=73197)

best way to image a hard drive... by MattyRid on 04-01-2007 at 09:35 AM

OK basically tomorrow I pick up a computer and change it from a 2GB to a 10GB. The 2GB OS is Windows ME and the 10GB will be arriving with XP. The 10GB is being changed to an 80GB on another computer. with the 10GB replacing the 2GB Windows ME Disk, however, the owner has requested that ME be transferred to the 10GB.

So here is my dilemma, I need disk imaging software that I can use for both NTFS and FAT32. I know about Norton Ghost, but I've never had full confidence, I know XP has some kind of copy utility, but never used it. So the big question is...how and what do I do when it comes to disc imaging? what drive goes where and what software would be the best to use?

RE: best way to image a hard drive... by RaceProUK on 04-01-2007 at 10:41 AM

I don't think you'll be able to put Windows ME on an NTFS partition, only a FAT32. So any normal disc imaging program will work.

RE: RE: best way to image a hard drive... by MattyRid on 04-03-2007 at 12:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
I don't think you'll be able to put Windows ME on an NTFS partition, only a FAT32. So any normal disc imaging program will work.

Found a way..using my ultimate boot CD, if you erase the Hard Drive and then image, no problems what so ever.