Shoutbox

Message flood (type 1) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Message flood (type 1) (/showthread.php?tid=73224)

Message flood (type 1) by Discrate on 04-02-2007 at 09:31 AM

In the shoutbox sometimes when i am writing a message comes up with error: Message flood (type 1) but the thing is i am not flooding. After that message appears i cant write anything for ages. This is happening about 10 times when i am on the shoutbox. Can anyone explain it?

RE: Message flood (type 1) by Eljay on 04-02-2007 at 09:38 AM

There are a few different shoutbox message flood errors, I think they are as follows: (WDZ will probably correct me if I am wrong :P)
1. Too many messages by one person in a row (not necessarily next to each other though, something like 5 out of the last 7?)
2. Too many messages by one person within a set time period (5 minutes?)
3. Too many messages by all users within set time period (relatively new error, added when we tried to get to 10,000 shouts in one day by spamming)

RE: RE: Message flood (type 1) by Discrate on 04-02-2007 at 09:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Eljay
There are a few different shoutbox message flood errors, I think they are as follows: (WDZ will probably correct me if I am wrong :P)
1. Too many messages by one person in a row (not necessarily next to each other though, something like 5 out of the last 7?)
2. Too many messages by one person within a set time period (5 minutes?)
3. Too many messages by all users within set time period (relatively new error, added when we tried to get to 10,000 shouts in one day by spamming)

Ok thanks, well i havent done any of them :(
RE: Message flood (type 1) by Mike on 04-02-2007 at 09:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Eljay
And that's a bit buggy: I was in a shoutbox party once, and I hadn't shouted for a while, but when i tried to should, it said message flood type 3 :(
RE: Message flood (type 1) by Nathan on 04-02-2007 at 10:01 AM

No its not really buggy..
If the idea is to stop spamming it did that well becuase even if you did join its stopping you from posting which stops you adding to the spam..

RE: Message flood (type 1) by markee on 04-02-2007 at 11:54 AM

To correct Eljay, the first 2 are not for the "one person" but for "one IP".  I have this problem quite a lot because of NanaFreak's spam :dodgy:

RE: RE: Message flood (type 1) by WDZ on 04-03-2007 at 03:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
This is happening about 10 times when i am on the shoutbox.
Umm... 10 times in what period of time? ^o)

quote:
After that message appears i cant write anything for ages.
Five minutes isn't exactly "ages," and you can always delete or edit your previous shouts to get around the limit. =/

The flood protection code is dodgy, but Eljay is basically right. I'm planning to get rid of the "all users" error, because non-spammers shouldn't be punished for the actions of others. :p

As for type 1, I set that stricter after the last prunage because people always spam like crazy. It's back to normal now.

quote:
Originally posted by markee
To correct Eljay, the first 2 are not for the "one person" but for "one IP".  I have this problem quite a lot because of NanaFreak's spam :dodgy:
lol... yeah, the IP is checked because the shoutbox supports guest shouts, and because members sometimes make duplicate accounts... ¬¬
RE: Message flood (type 1) by NanaFreak on 04-03-2007 at 04:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
This is happening about 10 times when i am on the shoutbox.
Umm... 10 times in what period of time? ^o)

lol... yeah, the IP is checked because the shoutbox supports guest shouts, and because members sometimes make duplicate accounts... ¬¬
but what about the 2 regulars that aren't the same account =(...