Shoutbox

[Bug] Offline contacts list outdated - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: [Bug] Offline contacts list outdated (/showthread.php?tid=73238)

[Bug] Offline contacts list outdated by jellyblu on 04-02-2007 at 04:53 PM

Windows XP Pro SP2
WLM v 8.1
MP!L v 4.20.0.262

It appears that when I sign out, the list of all contacts offline is reset to a point beyond 30 days ago (I can tell because a contact in the list, who had her birthday just a few days ago, had put a countdown in her name - which of today says '30 days left' when I sign in and she's offline...).

I cannot tell for sure whether this is a bug within MP!L or WLM, but if I can rely on my memory, it was around this time (a month a go) I decided to install WLM and MP!L to go with it... Seems to me like some logging error, but I have no clue.

It's quite depressing to look at, and honestly - it does bother me quite a bit... I hope there's a solution...

Thanks.

Well, 26 views, yet no replies. I suppose that means nobody else has experienced anything like this? Guess I'll have to contact MS regarding this issue, then...

RE: Offline contacts list outdated by Patchou on 04-04-2007 at 05:59 AM

If you're talking about your contact list then yes, it's a Messenger bug as Plus! does not touch it. After you'Ve confirmed you're not running any other add-on, I suggest you try contacting Microsoft about it. You could also try to delete the %TEMP%\MessengerCache directory and uninstall/reinstall Messenger.

RE: Online and Offline contacts list not being updated several times a week by Jpesker on 04-11-2007 at 10:08 PM

Well ok i try clearing my temp directory as you say, but almost everyone i know (with the latest build 262) having the same random bug where their Contacts are just not updating.

RE: Offline contacts list outdated by TheGuruSupremacy on 04-11-2007 at 10:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jpesker
Well ok i try clearing my temp directory as you say, but almost everyone i know (with the latest build 262) having the same random bug where their Contacts are just not updating.

I have the same problem...It doesn't always happens but lately it happens more often...However i think is not PLUS bug and i think it happens(at least for me)when i kill the msn process or i terminate the program...

RE: RE: Offline contacts list outdated by jellyblu on 04-14-2007 at 09:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TheGuruSupremacy
quote:
Originally posted by Jpesker

I have the same problem...It doesn't always happens but lately it happens more often...However i think is not PLUS bug and i think it happens(at least for me)when i kill the msn process or i terminate the program...

So I'm not the only one... I think you might be right about it occurring when you terminate the program or kill the process... So it's got to be a WLM bug then...
RE: [Bug] Offline contacts list outdated by RebelSean on 04-15-2007 at 08:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jellyblu
So I'm not the only one... I think you might be right about it occurring when you terminate the program or kill the process... So it's got to be a WLM bug then...

It's indeed a well known Messenger bug, which is should be fixed in the next build. I've found deleting my contact folder under:

C:\Documents and Settings\<iuser>\Contacts\<e-mail>

Fixes the problem for me :).
RE: RE: [Bug] Offline contacts list outdated by jellyblu on 04-21-2007 at 08:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RebelSean
quote:

It's indeed a well known Messenger bug, which is should be fixed in the next build. I've found deleting my contact folder under:

Deleted it; asked someone to sign in and out with their older email address; signed out myself, shut down the application completely, relaunched and signed in again: nothing had changed. Rebooted and repeated the process; yet no change. But thanks for the tip anyway. ;)

You say this is a well known bug; is there any other places where it's being discussed? I posted a thread about it over at the MS communities under the name 'sytrus', but it seems to be totally neglected... I got one reply which suggested that I deleted a certain regkey. Now I've deleted both the regkey and my contacts directory, and yet nothing's changed. The only certain change I've noticed, was when I signed in with webmessenger at school the other day: it appears that the few contacts who were online at that point have been updated in the offline list...
RE: [Bug] Offline contacts list outdated by CookieRevised on 04-24-2007 at 02:06 PM

jellyblu, you say:

quote:
Deleted it; asked someone to sign in and out with their older email address; signed out myself, shut down the application completely, relaunched and signed in again
This suggest to me that you did the deleting (and maybe registry key removing) while Messenger was running. You are supposed to do it when Messenger is completely closed (right click on tray icon > choose exit)... See if that helps in case you didn't ;)
RE: RE: [Bug] Offline contacts list outdated by jellyblu on 04-29-2007 at 09:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
jellyblu, you say:

quote:
Deleted it; asked someone to sign in and out with their older email address; signed out myself, shut down the application completely, relaunched and signed in again
This suggest to me that you did the deleting (and maybe registry key removing) while Messenger was running. You are supposed to do it when Messenger is completely closed (right click on tray icon > choose exit)... See if that helps in case you didn't ;)

I did terminate the process before I deleted the regkey.

Now, what I find interesting is that the list updates whenever I sign in with web messenger (concerning those who are online at the given point). This suggests indeed that there's a bug with the application...
RE: [Bug] Offline contacts list outdated by Arcadian Dreaming on 05-21-2007 at 10:10 PM

I have this same problem just now, it was fine before :S In fact it doesn't hang on to my contacts personal message or display picture at all, and the display name is about a month old. Tried deleting the folders and the regkey, to no avail. Even reinstalled everything and created a new Live ID, no change.

Just to stop me from going nuts looking for a solution, this is a bug with the program right? Nothing that can be done?

RE: [Bug] Offline contacts list outdated by CookieRevised on 05-22-2007 at 11:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Arcadian Dreaming
Just to stop me from going nuts looking for a solution, this is a bug with the program right? Nothing that can be done?
Apparently....

All you could do in this case is contacting the Messenger support team: http://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=wlmessenger
Also say what things you already tried (what directories you've deleted and what registry keys you've deleted).

Or use the feedback form, although this isn't really for reporting bugs, but more for suggesting stuff. You also wont get a reply with this: Contactlist > Help > Send Feedback
(links to http://feedback.live.com/eform.aspx?productkey=wlmessenger)
RE: RE: [Bug] Offline contacts list outdated by radical86 on 06-18-2007 at 07:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RebelSean
quote:

Hey. I have same problem for few months now. I tried your solution but the problem is that the folder for the account which is having problem doesn't exist. I use about three different accounts and folders for other accounts are there and these accounts don't have any problems updating the contact list names. But the account which has outdated offline contact list names doesn't have a folder there. I think that is the problem but I don't know how to solve the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Ok. I found the solution (I think). As explained above, I didn't have the folder in C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Contacts\<e-mail> for the account I was having problems. So in that account I unchecked the option "This is a shared computer so don't store my address book, display picture, or personal messages on it" under Security Tab. I am not entirely sure if that did the trick but I haven't changed anything else. So, try this if nothing works for you.
RE: [Bug] Offline contacts list outdated by ahmetgns on 07-02-2007 at 09:04 PM

Sorry for late reply but I recommend you to read this, because that is not a bug of WLM. It is how WLM works.

RE: [Bug] Offline contacts list outdated by Voldemort on 07-03-2007 at 02:38 AM

how is not updating nicknames/psms a feature, turk?

RE: [Bug] Offline contacts list outdated by kryp2nyt on 07-08-2007 at 03:29 PM

Okay guys, I seem to have solved the problem ! Now nicknames update correctly from MSN 7.5/WLM and vice versa !

you have to do like i did :

1) open your WLM/MSN and export all your contacts to a .cct file
2) delete all your contacts
3) open Hotmail, and deactivate your account
4) leave it for 15 mins (don't worry! your emails are still intact)
5) reactivate the account by simply re-siging in
6) import all your contacts again back to WLM/MSN, you will notice they are all emails displays, not nickname displays.
7) just wait for the contacts to sign in, and the nicknames will be updated normally, and WILL remain anywhere you sign in UNTIL they change it!

Using the above procedure, I have my nicknames change in WLM, and get the correct nicknames in work (running MSN 7.5) the SAME correct nicknames, even if they are offline, no outdated nicknames anymore !

Strange it is, I thought of trying it, and it actually worked...hmmm...

I absolutely have no technical explanation as why or how this procedure fixed my problem, but it did ! :D

RE: [Bug] Offline contacts list outdated by BYQ on 08-18-2007 at 07:14 PM

I did what you do say..

But unfortunately I stooped in the close account step, it says:
Cannot close ........@hotmail.com
To close your account, you must resolve one or more of the following issues:

One or more paid services or a Microsoft Points account is linked to your account. To close this account, make sure each service is canceled and your Microsoft Points account is closed. Get help with this
There is a Microsoft e-mail account (Windows Live Mail or Hotmail) associated with your account, so you can't close your Windows Live account immediately. To close your Windows Live account, you need to close your Microsoft e-mail account first. After a period of inactivity, your Windows Live account will automatically be closed. Close your Microsoft account.

So please could you help me with this.

RE: [Bug] Offline contacts list outdated by ahmetgns on 08-18-2007 at 07:30 PM

If you ask me, I can say you that "Don't bother to close your account" because I tried kryp2nyt's method, but it didn't work. I wasn't expecting it to work before trying anyway. I think kryp2nyt is making a mistake.

My ideas are still same, that is WLM won't get Offline contacts' display names from the server when a user signs in.

Doesn't WLM store contacts' names on our computers for quick signing in? If it will get the names of offline contacts too from the server, what is the advantage of the Contact List Cache thingy?