Shoutbox

Vista isnt really what its made up to be. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. (/showthread.php?tid=73248)

Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by Ashylay on 04-02-2007 at 08:24 PM

I mean when you think about it, it has its upsides but many downs.

For example most programs which we use alot dont work on Vista as everyone gets errors and if you have one pick up an Argos catalouge and go to the computer section. Look at stuff liek Printers, Scanner s etc. Hardly any of them have written down:

Compatable with Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP/Vista

RE: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by Nathan on 04-02-2007 at 08:25 PM

Thats prpably becuase they dont have the time to update every single software page they have with  vista

RE: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by Rolando on 04-02-2007 at 08:26 PM

I guess that's so. But you've to remember that it is a newly launched operating system, and in the future this will be "fixed".

The same happened when XP was released.

RE: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by Lou on 04-02-2007 at 09:05 PM

You have to give everyone time to update software and hardware. This is hardly Vista's fault. People are hard at work updating everything to make sure it all works. If you didn't want this to happened, you really should've stuck with XP for the time being, as this is completely normal. Microsoft update their operating system, not everyone else's stuff:P

RE: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by Kenji on 04-02-2007 at 09:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
You have to give everyone time to update software and hardware. This is hardly Vista's fault. People are hard at work updating everything to make sure it all works. If you didn't want this to happened, you really should've stuck with XP for the time being, as this is completely normal. Microsoft update their operating system, not everyone else's stuff:P
Yeah, basicly what i was gonna say :P

Plus, Argos sucks. They update their catalogue like, 4 times a year?
RE: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by ShawnZ on 04-02-2007 at 09:16 PM

any hardware compatible with xp will be compatible with vista... :p

RE: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by aNILEator on 04-02-2007 at 09:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ

Lies and slander!
RE: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by FrozenDaggers on 04-02-2007 at 11:34 PM

Everything works fine with my Vista tbh. Sure it's a bit buggy, but every new OS is.

The only problem I have is that IE7 decides to 'restart'. But like software/hardware all works fine.

RE: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by joey on 04-03-2007 at 09:13 AM

im waiting until the world accepts vista properly, its only just come out so not everything and everyone will want to make their stuff work for it because it means spending more time on something that isnt absolutely necassary. ...and when i have more money! :P

RE: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by aNILEator on 04-03-2007 at 09:36 PM

Yeah i removed my ass old Creative Soundblaster Live and Logitech Quickcam becasue they aren't supported and despite popular demand won't be

RE: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by duck! on 04-03-2007 at 10:03 PM

vista is okay.. but going to openSuSE in july
never had any problems with the drivers, apart from my bluetooth one =p

RE: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by Eddie on 04-04-2007 at 02:09 AM

Vista has been working fine for me now for around 6 months :\ (RCs etc)...ive never really had problems with it, the programs ive installed always worked, i had a little problem with my sound driver but i found it after a while *-)

RE: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by Hank on 04-04-2007 at 02:37 AM

my gripe about Vista,

Shutdown Slower ,
Bootup Questionable whether its faster or not,

Overall i think Microsoft needs to make Vista Faster, Speed-up-Vista , Totally agree with this story, Not everyone can afford to keep buying more Ram an Cpu just to speed there Vista up, ok i know you can shut down services etc that you dont need but thats not the point

RE: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by NiteMare on 04-04-2007 at 02:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ashylay
Vista isnt really what its made up to be.
whaqt do you expect? i don't think a commersial would sound very good like this:

"introducing the new microsoft Windows Vista, it just makes you want to say...'it's ok' "
RE: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by Rolando on 04-04-2007 at 04:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
quote:
Vista isnt really what its made up to be.
whaqt do you expect? i don't think a commersial would sound very good like this:

"introducing the new microsoft Windows Vista, it just makes you want to say...'it's ok' "

yeah.
quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
my gripe about Vista,

Shutdown Slower ,
Bootup Questionable whether its faster or not,

Overall i think Microsoft needs to make Vista Faster, Speed-up-Vista , Totally agree with this story, Not everyone can afford to keep buying more Ram an Cpu just to speed there Vista up, ok i know you can shut down services etc that you dont need but thats not the point

I kinda agree, but you'd expect it would be "slower" than XP.
RE: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by Hank on 04-04-2007 at 05:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by q25

i wouldn't expect it to be slower, a number of Linux OS's are trying to speed up there shutdown an bootup times an Vista is slower ( for me ) at shutting down than XP was, but to answer my own question, about Bootup, i don't think its any faster nore slower ..
RE: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by Lou on 04-04-2007 at 10:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
Logitech Quickcam
Works fine for me :P
RE: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by hmaster on 04-04-2007 at 11:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazmo
It would be hard not to mention the amount of money that would be spent updating it every month. The sites usually more regularly updated *-).

-- Vista doesn't look that bad but I'd need to upgrade my current computer to make it worth buying.
RE: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by NiteMare on 04-04-2007 at 11:08 AM

my opinion, turn off that damn UAC and its fine

RE: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by Kenji on 04-04-2007 at 11:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by q25
Vista boots in about 20 seconds for me IIRC.
Shuts down in like 15.

A lot faster than XP. And i havent had a crash or anything on here, where as XP would normally slow down after 2weeks of being up for me, I have had vista up on full load for 2 months before.
quote:
Originally posted by hmaster
quote:
It would be hard not to mention the amount of money that would be spent updating it every month. The sites usually more regularly updated *-).
meh, Argos still suck :P

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
my opinion, turn off that damn UAC and its fine
UAC rocks, why would you want to do that?
RE: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by NiteMare on 04-04-2007 at 11:36 AM

quote:

it asks you to agree/continue or cancel for every little thing
RE: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by Hank on 04-04-2007 at 11:59 AM

quote:
A lot faster than XP. And i havent had a crash or anything on here, where as XP would normally slow down after 2weeks of being up for me, I have had vista up on full load for 2 months before.
iv'e had 1 or 2 BSOD's i know iv'e had 1, but cant be sure bout 2, apart from that itss been fine,
RE: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by John Anderton on 04-04-2007 at 12:56 PM

quote:
For example most programs which we use alot dont work on Vista as everyone gets errors and if you have one pick up an Argos catalouge and go to the computer section. Look at stuff liek Printers, Scanner s etc.
Well that's not the fault of the operating system but that of the hardware/software manufacturer who doesn't make his product compatible with the OS :)

And plus, quite a few of those apps can be run successfully using the compatibility settings :P For those which cannot, wait for an update. Curse the developer if you have to. Vista has been made public for about 10 months now so I think I can say its about time the developers had a working copy of it. They would have worked on it since Beta 2. If nothing else, the official release was nearly 2 months back. That should be enough in most cases :P

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
The only thing I hate about Vista is that the nVidia drivers are shit.
Download them via nvidia.com directly :P

quote:
For power users, its damn irritating having UAC bug you for trying to paste a file in a folder in C drive :dodgy:

I wish Microsoft had an option "Notify me once and remove the red icon" when you disable UAC :( That way, we wouldn't miss up on other notifications by Windows. Oh well :P
RE: RE: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by Ashylay on 04-04-2007 at 01:06 PM

quote:

Nope thats wrong. Theres loads of things that dont work.

And yeah I know about it takes time for eveything to update but Ive seen loads of people sdaying Get vista its great and the slogan is:

"The wow starts now"

but should it be

"The wow starts in a couple of months?"
RE: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by Kenji on 04-04-2007 at 01:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
For power users, its damn irritating having UAC bug you for trying to paste a file in a folder in C drive
It only takes about 1 second to click ok... Whats wrong with that? Yeah, it annoyed me at first but i got use to it.

Its worth keeping, as it stops anything dodgy running without you knowing.. :P
RE: RE: RE: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by Jhrono on 04-04-2007 at 01:32 PM

quote:
quote:

Nope thats wrong. Theres loads of things that dont work.

Read what he said again please..

quote:

WILL be compatible.. Got it?
RE: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by Jesus on 04-04-2007 at 05:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
I wish Microsoft had an option "Notify me once and remove the red icon" when you disable UAC (Smilie) That way, we wouldn't miss up on other notifications by Windows. Oh well (Smilie)
Agreed, it should be possible to turn the notifications on and off individually, just like in XP.

quote:
It only takes about 1 second to click ok... Whats wrong with that? Yeah, it annoyed me at first but i got use to it.

Its worth keeping, as it stops anything dodgy running without you knowing.. (Smilie)
It's a matter of opinion, actually...
>99% of all UAC nags are useless IMO, they only bother the user in an extremely obtrusive way, while vista is supposed to be "more productive". How can anyone be more productive if you have to confirm a random harmless action every other click?
Apart from that, most of the time it's a user action which allows malware to be installed. Just be careful with what you do on your pc and everything will be fine.
Edit: Dazmo, do you actually read every single UAC nag you get? Most people will in the beginning, but after a while they have seen enough of it and just want to continue what they were doing ASAP, thus clicking "ok (go ahead I don't care)", just like with many other dialogs. What's the use of the nags after people stop reading them?
RE: Vista isnt really what its made up to be. by CookieRevised on 04-04-2007 at 06:03 PM

Remember that Vista comes in many flavors.

Those who compare speeds should clearly state their 'flavor' (bussiness, home, basic, ultimate, etc) and clear state their specs.

Especially video drivers and video hardware as Vista makes extensive use and speed greatly depends on what video hardware you got. It also depends on what stuff you have enabled in Vista (eg Aero etc).

Also, startup and shutdown speeds greatly depend on how partionated your PC is and what you've got installed and running and even what kind of 'shut down' you use.

In a nutshell: don't compare speeds unlesss you include a decent and detailed benchmark chart.

As for UAC, for 'power' users it is indeed annoying, but don't forget that the security out-of-the-box in Vista is 1000 times better than in Windows XP, especially with such things as UAC.

Of course, Vista is a brand new OS. Of course there are still compatibility issues with some programs and of course there are going to be hotfixes and patches (heck even XP is still patched up every month)...

Don't forget that many hardware stuff is designed and produced years ago. It speaks for its own that not every (old) piece of hardware is going to be Vista-ready. And it is nearly impossible to expect that all manufactures are going to dish all their products and start developping new stuff especially for Vista. If so, expect new hardware products for Vista to be released in 5 years time (as it often takes that long to go from concept to retail). As for the other hardware, many stuff is already Vista-ready, even if it does not have a Vista-ready sticker on it.

tbh, there is nothing wrong with Vista, and if anything it is a big milestone for Microsoft and the computing industry as it finally breaks with many things which were carried along since the DOS age.

And since it is new, with a totally new GUI, many 'power' user will feel it is shit because they are not used to the interface and that counts for many complaints too.

As for those who complain that Vista uses a hell of a lot more memory: of course it is going to use more memory since the GUI is way more resource extensive. If you don't like that, I suggest to run Unix or DOS. This is the evolution in computing and since memory and processors get cheaper and more powerfull it is only logic that futur OS's will use that power. In fact, be glad that Vista uses your 2gb of memory instead of ignoring it. Otherwise what is the point in having 2gb if it isn't going to be used in the first place.

As for the question of needing it: I'd say no... There is actually no reason to buy Vista, unless you have games which only use DirectX10, unless you want to have some nifty GUI, unless you want to be secured as much as possible out-of-the-box.
XP is still good and almost all programs of today run on XP. In general, it is still too soon to buy Vista and thus the normal user doesn't have much reason to switch from XP to Vista. Unless he wants to be 'hip'.