Shoutbox

Custom Emoticons - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Custom Emoticons (/showthread.php?tid=73290)

Custom Emoticons by callmegarfield on 04-04-2007 at 11:48 AM

I can't add custom emoticons for some reason :S I don't have alot, not more than six, but when i try to add a new one it says emoticon is already in use or something... lookie \/

[Image: errorjs4.png]

Anyone know why this is happening and\or what to do?

RE: Custom Emoticons by vikke on 04-04-2007 at 11:56 AM

Do you get that error with different smileys or is it one specific picture?
I mean, if you try to add another smiley, will it work?

vikke

RE: Custom Emoticons by callmegarfield on 04-04-2007 at 12:21 PM

Nope, any picture I try to add, whether from a contact or from my computer it comes up with the error.

RE: Custom Emoticons by vikke on 04-04-2007 at 01:54 PM

The only fix I know for this problem (my brother had this), is to reinstall Messenger.
That will probably clear all your current emoticons as well.. :(
Is it specific for that account, or does it happen to every account you are signed in as?

vikke

RE: Custom Emoticons by callmegarfield on 04-04-2007 at 01:55 PM

I don't know I haven't tried on any other accounts

RE: Custom Emoticons by MeEtc on 04-04-2007 at 01:55 PM

what shortcut are you trying to use exactly?

RE: Custom Emoticons by callmegarfield on 04-04-2007 at 02:12 PM

If you mean what shortcut i want to use for the emoticon i usually just type :--- where the dashes are whatever the emoticon looks like so for example if the emoticon's face is dopey i'd use :dopey

RE: Custom Emoticons by vikke on 04-04-2007 at 02:31 PM

Did you try to reinstall Messenger? That should do it.

vikke

RE: Custom Emoticons by callmegarfield on 04-04-2007 at 02:35 PM

I tried uninstalling and re-installing and it still comes up with the same error. I'm gonna go cry for five minutes. :(

RE: Custom Emoticons by Eddie on 04-04-2007 at 03:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by callmegarfield
I tried uninstalling and re-installing and it still comes up with the same error. I'm gonna go cry for five minutes. :(
Try clearing all the %temp%\MessengerCache files if you dont mind losing your custom emoticons you have ;)
RE: RE: Custom Emoticons by vikke on 04-04-2007 at 03:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
quote:
Originally posted by callmegarfield
Try clearing all the %temp%\MessengerCache files if you dont mind losing your custom emoticons you have ;)

I'm not sure, but I think he just will loose his contacts custom emoticons if he removes that folder.

vikke
RE: Custom Emoticons by Eddie on 04-04-2007 at 03:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vikke
I'm not sure, but I think he just will loose his contacts custom emoticons if he removes that folder.

vikke
Yeah, i guess your right when i consider it, shouldnt he delete the files that cookie mentions here or here, then?
RE: Custom Emoticons by callmegarfield on 04-04-2007 at 05:06 PM

I've definately deleted the Messenger Cache folder after the problem started because i had a small problem with my phone and wiped that folder clean. So that won't work...

RE: Custom Emoticons by Sunshine on 04-04-2007 at 05:08 PM

See: Custom emoticons problem?, esp this post.

I'm amazed nobody has found this already...search works doesn't it?

RE: Custom Emoticons by callmegarfield on 04-04-2007 at 10:44 PM

Okay, followed the advice above.

My MSN -sucks-.

I can add emoticons sent from a contact, but I still can't add emoticons from my hard drive, any picture, any key sequence, will not work. I'm gonna try uninstalling and following the steps above.

Fixed! I hate to say it, but it appears it was a problem with Plus! I'd re-installed messenger, and the custom emoticons wouldnt load off my hard drive still. I'd given up now, but for some reason Plus wasnt loading on Messenger's start up, so i thought, f%$k it, uninstalled and re-installed it. It works now!