Shoutbox

MSN Live just stopped working-HELP - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: MSN Live just stopped working-HELP (/showthread.php?tid=73321)

MSN Live just stopped working-HELP by shelm63 on 04-05-2007 at 08:55 AM

I have been using msn live for months now and its been great.. then yesterday I clicked to open it and nothing came up when i looked in task manager it shows msnmmsgr.exe under processes yet messenger never pops up.. uninstalled it.. cleared all of my cache .. ran windowwasher.. checked to make sure i didnt have  anything like sweetim or smiley central.. ran antispyware programs then went to msn live site and redownoladed it and reinstalled it and same thing is happeneing.. I did a restore point in xp to bring me back 3 days ago when it was working fine but that didnt help either.. and I miss it ... using the old windows messenger sucks. any ideas??
thanks
Shel

RE: MSN LIVE JUST STOPPED WORKING-HELP by MattyRid on 04-05-2007 at 09:19 AM

check you have msimg32.dll in your C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger folder, and check you installed the latest version.

RE: MSN LIVE JUST STOPPED WORKING-HELP by shelm63 on 04-05-2007 at 09:28 AM

i checked there and no i do not have msimg32.dll in your C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger folder.. how can i get that?? i have reinstalled and tried repair... also the version i have installed is 8.0.0812.00
thank you fopr your help..

RE: MSN LIVE JUST STOPPED WORKING-HELP by vikke on 04-05-2007 at 09:35 AM

The MSIMG32.dll is hidden in the "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger" so you will need to enable the option to show hidden files, are you sure you got that option enabled?

I will attach MSIMG32.dll to this post. You can download it and put it in your "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger" folder.

If that still doesn't work, I suggest you to download and install the newest version of WLM, 8.1. I think you can download it here:
http://get.live.com/messenger/overview

vikke

RE: MSN LIVE JUST STOPPED WORKING-HELP by shelm63 on 04-05-2007 at 09:38 AM

ok i will try that.. thank you for your help.. have a nice day..
shel

sorry how do i get the attahment of the dll??

RE: MSN LIVE JUST STOPPED WORKING-HELP by vikke on 04-05-2007 at 09:41 AM

I wasn't allowed to upload the DLL. :(
So here is Rapidshare mirror: http://rapidshare.com/files/24428170/msimg32.dll.html
I know rapidshare is slow, but it works. ;)

Have a nice day yourself,
vikke

RE: MSN LIVE JUST STOPPED WORKING-HELP by TheGuruSupremacy on 04-05-2007 at 09:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Vikke
I wasn't allowed to upload the DLL. (Smilie)

Yes PE files isn't allowed,but you can zip and upload them...:)
RE: MSN Live just stopped working-HELP by vikke on 04-05-2007 at 09:58 AM

There is a reason why you shouldn't allow PE files. Then you shouldn't zip them either.

vikke

RE: MSN Live just stopped working-HELP by TheGuruSupremacy on 04-05-2007 at 10:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Vikke

There is a reason why you shouldn't allow PE files. Then you shouldn't zip them either.

Yes there is a reason why you can't upload PE files(Security reason)...But there isn't reasons why you shouldn't zip and upload them...
RE: MSN Live just stopped working-HELP by vikke on 04-05-2007 at 10:09 AM

To upload a PE file is the same to upload a ZIP with a PE file inside. :)

vikke

RE: MSN Live just stopped working-HELP by TheGuruSupremacy on 04-05-2007 at 10:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vikke
To upload a PE file is the same to upload a ZIP with a PE file inside. :)

Eheh...No it's not the same...Uploading pe files could be dangerous,But zipping and unploading them is secure:

You can't upload pe files because of the potential security risks of msghelp.Such files can contain virii and other malicious software.Instead if you upload zipped pe files it's secure,because a zip/rar file can't be executed on the server thus is much less of a risk to msghelp.

RE: RE: MSN LIVE JUST STOPPED WORKING-HELP by MattyRid on 04-05-2007 at 10:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vikke
The MSIMG32.dll is hidden in the "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger" so you will need to enable the option to show hidden files, are you sure you got that option enabled?

msimg32.dll isn't a hidden file and I've verified it on all 3 of my XP machines with different configurations. 2 without showing hidden files and one (my computer) that does...and on all of them, it's not a hidden files (checked file attributes)
RE: MSN Live just stopped working-HELP by vikke on 04-05-2007 at 10:32 AM

You're right, I'm sorry. I think it used to be. Anyway, that could be a reason why he couldn't see it.
Thanks for pointing that out! :)

vikke

RE: MSN Live just stopped working-HELP by shelm63 on 04-05-2007 at 07:58 PM

well i added the msning32.dl and that didnt work... redownloaded it from the url but still no success.... if you here of anything else that might be the problem plz let me know.. thx