Shoutbox

Burn .avi to DVD - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Burn .avi to DVD (/showthread.php?tid=73373)

Burn .avi to DVD by Eddie on 04-07-2007 at 11:25 AM

Hello guys, ive tried to burn a .avi to a DVD and watch it on a DVD Player but it didnt work, is there anyway to burn a .avi to a DVD and have it watchable. Thanx.

RE: Burn .avi to DVD by MattyRid on 04-07-2007 at 11:27 AM

Yeah...use either

PowerProducer
DVD Architect
Nero

Just some that can do it

RE: Burn .avi to DVD by Dempsey on 04-07-2007 at 11:28 AM

It has to be encoded not just burnt to a dvd.

You need some software like ConvertXtoDVD

RE: Burn .avi to DVD by Mike on 04-07-2007 at 11:29 AM

Also, if you are using Vista Ultimate, there is a program called "Windows DVD Creator" or something like that which can do what you want.

RE: Burn .avi to DVD by Eddie on 04-07-2007 at 11:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MattyRid
Yeah...use either

PowerProducer
DVD Architect
Nero

Just some that can do it
tried didnt work...
quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey

will try, no any Free ones tho?

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Also, if you are using Vista Ultimate, there is a program called "Windows DVD Creator" or something like that which can do what you want.
awesome, will have a look ty.
RE: Burn .avi to DVD by kao on 04-07-2007 at 11:36 AM

Download 'WinAVI Video Converter' then choose AVI to DVD, it will convert the AVI into the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder, then just use something like Ashampoo Burning Studio to burn the DVD folder onto the dvd.

RE: Burn .avi to DVD by Eddie on 04-07-2007 at 12:06 PM

quote:
Didnt work :(
quote:
Originally posted by kao
Download 'WinAVI Video Converter' then choose AVI to DVD, it will convert the AVI into the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder, then just use something like Ashampoo Burning Studio to burn the DVD folder onto the dvd.
Trying that now.
RE: Burn .avi to DVD by Eddie on 04-07-2007 at 03:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kao
Thanks, that worked :)

Sorry for double post.
RE: Burn .avi to DVD by prashker on 04-07-2007 at 04:03 PM

quote:

Really good program, I use it also (y). Does it all in around 1hour for me :).

quote:

I would use that since I have Vista Ultimate, but it does not like Xvid so much ;-).
RE: Burn .avi to DVD by linx05 on 04-08-2007 at 06:03 AM

I hardly ever do AVI > DVD but when I do, it's temporary. So this tool, FAVC does the job nice using HCenc as the encoder. I've also heard AVI2DVD is a nice one also, never really played around with it. Use HCenc with that one also, but update it to its latest version, 0.20.

RE: Burn .avi to DVD by Eddie on 04-08-2007 at 06:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
quote:

Really good program, I use it also (y). Does it all in around 1hour for me :).

If you want it ask me for the crack. LOL ILLEGAL

quote:

I would use that since I have Vista Ultimate, but it does not like Xvid so much ;-).
will get bak to u on that one :P
quote:
Originally posted by linx05
I hardly ever do AVI > DVD but when I do, it's temporary. So this tool, FAVC does the job nice using HCenc as the encoder. I've also heard AVI2DVD is a nice one also, never really played around with it. Use HCenc with that one also, but update it to its latest version, 0.20.
yeh ive tested out a few programs, WinAVI works well for me, in just around an hour :) "got" a dodgy movie earlier tho, only 10 minz were in it -.-
RE: Burn .avi to DVD by linx05 on 04-08-2007 at 06:39 AM

Good :). Those two are free though. For future references :).

RE: Burn .avi to DVD by Steven on 04-09-2007 at 09:59 PM

So im confused, i did it, and now i have a DVD_01_1 folder, with an AUDIO_ts folder with nothing in it, and also a video_ts folder. Do i just burn the DVD_01_1 with the 2 folders inside of it?

RE: Burn .avi to DVD by linx05 on 04-10-2007 at 12:08 AM

Yes Steven. Make sure VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS are there, not DVD_01_1.

RE: Burn .avi to DVD by joemailey on 04-10-2007 at 09:16 AM

I'd recommend ConvertXtoDVD.
If your doing it quite a bit. It probably one of the best and fastest programs out there. Also great support in there forums for your issue's.

It that good i even paid for it :O (yes me paying for software lol)

But when you check out the forum and see effort people put in to it. make you want to pay for it. damn people lol

RE: Burn .avi to DVD by ShawnZ on 04-10-2007 at 09:37 AM

i just used avi2dvd, worked quite nicely, even converted a PAL AVI to an NTSC DVD (took about six hours through)

RE: Burn .avi to DVD by rav0 on 04-10-2007 at 10:35 AM

You might also try DVD Flick. I've never actually used it, but it's at the top of my list next time I need to make a DVD. Nice reviews (I found if through a review) and website makes me think that it's a good program. Completely free software as well.

To burn a DVD-Video from a fileset, use the DVD-Video mode of your burning program. Using this mode automatically selects the correct paramaters for the disk. Add files to the disk so that you end up with something like this:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=807294]

In the root of the disk, a VIDEO_TS and an AUDIO_TS folder. Inside your VIDEO_TS folder, you should have IFOs, BUPs, and VOBs. If you wanted, you could add other files to the disk, these would be ignored by a set-top DVD player, as long as the rest of the structure is properly written.

RE: Burn .avi to DVD by joemailey on 04-10-2007 at 11:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
i just used avi2dvd, worked quite nicely, even converted a PAL AVI to an NTSC DVD (took about six hours through)

ConvertXtoDVD can convert it to NTSC in under 1hr. ;-)
RE: Burn .avi to DVD by linx05 on 04-11-2007 at 12:15 AM

I would trust HCenc more than the encoder in ConvertXtoDVD. Plus it's free!

RE: Burn .avi to DVD by joemailey on 04-11-2007 at 07:59 AM

quote:

Just because its free doesn't mean its better.

ConvertXtoDVD can encode upto 9-10 eps of TV show(lost,Prison break etc) on to one DVD 4.7GB With out any quality lost really.
RE: Burn .avi to DVD by ShawnZ on 04-11-2007 at 08:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by joemailey
ConvertXtoDVD can encode upto 9-10 eps of TV show(lost,Prison break etc) on to one DVD 4.7GB With out any quality lost really.

what does that have to do with convertxtodvd?
RE: Burn .avi to DVD by joemailey on 04-11-2007 at 09:44 AM

Comparing the encoder, given you an example of how it works.

so it has everything to do with the software and how good it is.

as the last post trusted a diff encoder and said it was also be better prob.

I've found with some encoders they change the file size bigger than DVD disk. or reduce the quality to make it fit. convert xtodvd doesn't do so big of a change. :)

RE: Burn .avi to DVD by linx05 on 04-11-2007 at 12:22 PM

quote:
quote:

Just because its free doesn't mean its better.

I doubt that very much. Maybe you need glasses or something or watch it on a VERY small TV.

quote:
I've found with some encoders they change the file size bigger than DVD disk. or reduce the quality to make it fit. convert xtodvd doesn't do so big of a change. :)
Some encoders can have that problem. It depends on a few things. It could be a bug of the encoder or if you use filters, how many filters, how you process the files for the encoder etc etc.

All encoders/transcoders will reduce quality to make the video fit. Although both do it different ways, it comes part and parcel.
RE: Burn .avi to DVD by joemailey on 04-11-2007 at 12:56 PM

quote:
  I doubt that very much. Maybe you need glasses or something or watch it on a VERY small TV.

So your quoting something you don't understand?
Considering i do it every few months for between 7-10 eps of tv shows for friends n family.

I tend to keep it around 7eps. anything more i let convertx encode it for upto 9GB. then i use dvd shrink when put it on to dvd 4.7gb.

So until you try this your self. I believe your i find it hard to believe gets kicked out.

and By the way this is on 32" HD tv + what ever TV's my friends have :)

So your talking over 4hrs of video.

Remember TV quality you don't lost. most TV shows r recorded direct from TV. Now DvD quality rips would be different matter. but i can put upto 2movies on (talking near 3-4hrs of video again)

With out an issue.

So i suggest you download a trial version and test it before you question whats believable or not.

RE: Burn .avi to DVD by joemailey on 04-11-2007 at 02:42 PM

Yea its recorded from the TV so your generally not gonna gain more or lose more of course unless you put it to lowerest setting haha

RE: Burn .avi to DVD by linx05 on 04-12-2007 at 03:20 AM

quote:
So your quoting something you don't understand?
Considering i do it every few months for between 7-10 eps of tv shows for friends n family.

I tend to keep it around 7eps. anything more i let convertx encode it for upto 9GB. then i use dvd shrink when put it on to dvd 4.7gb.

So until you try this your self. I believe your i find it hard to believe gets kicked out.

and By the way this is on 32" HD tv + what ever TV's my friends have :)

So your talking over 4hrs of video.

Remember TV quality you don't lost. most TV shows r recorded direct from TV. Now DvD quality rips would be different matter. but i can put upto 2movies on (talking near 3-4hrs of video again)

With out an issue.

So i suggest you download a trial version and test it before you question whats believable or not.
4 hours of video, DVD material, onto a single layer disc without an issue? Give me a break.

And TV quality you don't lose? Who doesn't know what around here?

Lets say this, I am very picky when it comes to the quality of my compressed DVDs. You may not be.

EDIT: I've tried it on one TV show and it doesn't do such a bad job. If I were going to use this program I would only do the TV shows temp. and watch them that night or something. I will try and do a hard DVD later.
RE: Burn .avi to DVD by joemailey on 04-12-2007 at 07:40 AM

yea it does do 4hrs of video easy lol

remember you probably using normal mode for compression on that tv ep.

Does great job. if you ask me for dvd rip or some thing. (usually one move per disk of course.) most movies 1.4GB now days.

it handles it pretty well if you put conversion setting up to highest mode :) under the encode option > quality highest.

TV eps don't decrease in quality much. hence why you can fit alot on to dvd with out any problems.

but if your talking good quality DVDrips and stuff then of course your gonna hit issue  :P

Edit: why temp its TV shows? you can't get any better unless you buy the dvd.
or download HD eps.
Most people aren't bothered to much by quality as long as it is respectable its generally good. i have HD TV so standard stuff doesn't look as good on it anyway :)

RE: Burn .avi to DVD by rav0 on 04-12-2007 at 11:04 AM

This calls for a snapshot comparison!

So if you've encoded Prison Break s02e21 post a snapshot of this to compare. I'm going to do an encode with DVD Flick to get a snapshot. This is a snapshot that I already had, just resized to something like DVD.

This is the scene where the very credible witness steps inside (trying to keep this spoiler free).

[Image: prisonbreaks02e21720pddss9.th.png]

PS why would DVD rips be better than TV? There's no bitrate cap on TV.

RE: Burn .avi to DVD by joemailey on 04-12-2007 at 01:01 PM

i'll show u screen shot of something i've converted that has around 7-9eps on one disk.

with the downloaded .avi file :) when i get home.

RE: Burn .avi to DVD by matty on 04-12-2007 at 01:45 PM

I use AVI2DVD

Here is a tutorial on how to use it: http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=298122

RE: RE: Burn .avi to DVD by linx05 on 04-14-2007 at 03:49 AM

quote:
yea it does do 4hrs of video easy lol
Yes it may do it easily but the quality will be shit house. I've done many compressions with DVDs and if you try to fit 4 hours of video onto a single layer DVD the quality will be terrible.

quote:
remember you probably using normal mode for compression on that tv ep.
I tried it with the highest setting.

quote:
TV eps don't decrease in quality much. hence why you can fit alot on to dvd with out any problems.
Yes they do. First of all, if you're talking about the ones you download then first they are captured, they stand at around 4gb, 25mbit bitrate, compressed down to 350mb, 1014kbps bitrate. Now that's a huge difference!

Then you want to put them onto a single layer DVD, 7 episodes you said. You load them up into the program and convert, they are being encoded to a different format which will have some quality loss. Now because they are too big to fit on a single layer DVD, they are compressed again. From the 'original' 1014kbps I had on my video, it will go down to make room for the other six episodes. More quality loss.

I watched one episode I converted with this program and while the quality was watchable some parts made me cringe. Some 'red' scenes bleeded causing big, square blocks of pixels to appear more so than the 'original'.

quote:
Edit: why temp its TV shows? you can't get any better unless you buy the dvd.
or download HD eps.
These are HD eps. I buy my TV eps because I want a good case, box, extras and the quality to be a lot better. Not done by some second rate encoder. I would only use this program if I want to watch something that night on my DVD player. Then I would put it on a RW so I can erase the next day.

quote:
Most people aren't bothered to much by quality as long as it is respectable its generally good. i have HD TV so standard stuff doesn't look as good on it anyway :)
I am bothered by crappy quality. So far from what I've seen the encoder can be improved on immensly.

All in all, if you're happy with the conversion then good for you. I personally would only use it for temp jobs. :)
RE: RE: RE: Burn .avi to DVD by rav0 on 04-14-2007 at 09:59 AM

quote:
Yes they do. First of all, if you're talking about the ones you download then first they are captured, they stand at around 4gb, 25mbit bitrate, compressed down to 350mb, 1014kbps bitrate. Now that's a huge difference!

Maybe, if you're talking about the ones you download. Also, the air bitrate is way less than 25 mbps.

quote:
These are HD eps. I buy my TV eps because I want a good case, box, extras and the quality to be a lot better. Not done by some second rate encoder.

These aren't HD eps. They were once captured from HD, but have been downconverted. HD eps are better quality than DVD that you can buy, and are done with a comparable encoder, at a much higher bitrate and resolution. HDRE is made with a first class encoder for a much superior codec than DVD.
RE: RE: RE: RE: Burn .avi to DVD by linx05 on 04-14-2007 at 11:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
Maybe, if you're talking about the ones you download. Also, the air bitrate is way less than 25 mbps.
I used mine as an example. I asked a friend who captures some TV stuff what the average bitrate was. That's where I got the 25mbps from.

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
These aren't HD eps. They were once captured from HD, but have been downconverted. HD eps are better quality than DVD that you can buy, and are done with a comparable encoder, at a much higher bitrate and resolution. HDRE is made with a first class encoder for a much superior codec than DVD.
I suppose I didn't make myself clear. They were captured from high definition streams :P
RE: Burn .avi to DVD by joemailey on 04-14-2007 at 12:06 PM

DVD image

[Image: thumb_dvd.jpg]

dvd startup

[Image: thumb_dvdcover.jpg]

Original AVI

[Image: thumb_oringaldownload.jpg]

Not much of difference in my opion :)

Original look slightly better. but now much so not much of lost as i said before ;-)

RE: Burn .avi to DVD by rav0 on 04-15-2007 at 01:42 AM

Here's what I made using DVD Flick fitting one episode to 1/3 DVD-5:

[Image: trialpbenc001qt8.th.png] [Image: trialpbenc002sv8.th.png]

RE: Burn .avi to DVD by Steven on 09-21-2008 at 02:07 PM

All those programs leave a watermark, are there any free programs that can convert my avi file into a DVD format file which i can later burn with nero, which dont require a CD key. So in other words a free trial, that wont leave a watermark, and that will encode a 700 mb avi file into dvd format..

RE: Burn .avi to DVD by ShawnZ on 09-21-2008 at 02:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kao

and by ashampoo, kao means imgburn
RE: Burn .avi to DVD by Mike on 09-21-2008 at 02:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Steven
All those programs leave a watermark, are there any free programs that can convert my avi file into a DVD format file which i can later burn with nero, which dont require a CD key. So in other words a free trial, that wont leave a watermark, and that will encode a 700 mb avi file into dvd format..
Try DVD Flick :)
RE: Burn .avi to DVD by Steven on 09-21-2008 at 03:19 PM

It was okay so far, i got an error, than put everything to default settings and its encoding right now, everything okay for now :)

RE: Burn .avi to DVD by ShawnZ on 09-21-2008 at 03:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Steven
Iron.Man[2008]DvDrip-aXXo.moviez4life.com.avi

illegal
RE: Burn .avi to DVD by RaPLeX on 09-21-2008 at 04:06 PM

i got problem like this,i converted my avi file to dvd with convert x to dvd.And i added subtitles.But when i insert dvd to dvdplayer i can watch the movie,also  i can see added subtitles on the menu.but i cant put'em on screen while watching :S

RE: RE: Burn .avi to DVD by Steven on 09-21-2008 at 05:08 PM

Okay it finnished with a few errors in the middle of encoding, and now i just have to burn the mpg file.. , should windows dvd maker work?