Shoutbox

Router Trouble - Can Connect Via Wirless But NOT via ethernet - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Router Trouble - Can Connect Via Wirless But NOT via ethernet (/showthread.php?tid=73439)

Router Trouble - Can Connect Via Wirless But NOT via ethernet by M73A on 04-08-2007 at 05:37 PM

atm im on the laptop... can connect perfect, can connect to the router page e.g 192.168.1.1 etc...

but on the desktop i canot access the router page or access the internet.

If i unplug the ethernet the desktop notices that the device has been unplugged thats all it does!? what would cause this and ho can i fix it?

Thanks!

RE: Router Trouble - Can Connect Via Wirless But NOT via ethernet by Voldemort on 04-08-2007 at 05:38 PM

do you have mac filtering enabled?

RE: Router Trouble - Can Connect Via Wirless But NOT via ethernet by M73A on 04-08-2007 at 05:40 PM

nope... but even if i did do wired connections have a mac address?

the wireless is the one that works fine, the wired one is the broken one :(

RE: Router Trouble - Can Connect Via Wirless But NOT via ethernet by Ptoye on 04-08-2007 at 05:42 PM

you could try reseting the router, and then set it up again with all the devices pluged in.
this might help but what when you reset it you will have to configure it again, tricky stuff!

And maaby a stupid question but have you got the ethernet port enabled? (to check clcik start >> Connect to >> Show all connections and there should be a picture of 2 computers with the screens lit up blue)

RE: Router Trouble - Can Connect Via Wirless But NOT via ethernet by MeEtc on 04-08-2007 at 05:43 PM

what router do you have? make and version

RE: Router Trouble - Can Connect Via Wirless But NOT via ethernet by Voldemort on 04-08-2007 at 05:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
every networked device has one... try another cable, another computer (doubt it's the cable), another port on the router?

right click on that, then properties, then check if tcp/ip is enabled

quote:
Originally posted by Ptoye
And maaby a stupid question but have you got the ethernet port enabled? (to check clcik start >> Connect to >> Show all connections and there should be a picture of 2 computers with the screens lit up blue)

quote:
If i unplug the ethernet the desktop notices that the device has been unplugged thats all it does!? what would cause this and ho can i fix it?

he has.
RE: Router Trouble - Can Connect Via Wirless But NOT via ethernet by M73A on 04-08-2007 at 05:47 PM

lol yeah the ethenret is enabled.... thats how it knows when its unplugged:P

its a dlink DSL-G604T cant find a version it says version then theres a sub heading called gateway... with a long list of numbers!

resetting it isnt very good idea, its my sisters house im at and i haven't got a clue about any of the info and stuff...

thanks guys

EDIT:

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
quote:
every networked device has one... try another cable, another computer (doubt it's the cable), another port on the router?

dont have another cable or computer >.< tried another port on the router and it didnt do anything...
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort

quote:

right click on that, then properties, then check if tcp/ip is enabled

yup its enabled...

RE: Router Trouble - Can Connect Via Wirless But NOT via ethernet by Voldemort on 04-08-2007 at 05:54 PM

What ip address is it given (the wired comp)?

RE: Router Trouble - Can Connect Via Wirless But NOT via ethernet by M73A on 04-08-2007 at 05:59 PM

should be 198.162.1.2

hmm strange!

also i cannot acces the workgroup... it comes up saying contact admin etc etc.. when im on the admin account >.<

not to fussed about that, the fact i cant get the internet working is the biggest/main problem

RE: Router Trouble - Can Connect Via Wirless But NOT via ethernet by ShawnZ on 04-08-2007 at 06:11 PM

how are you "connecting"?

RE: Router Trouble - Can Connect Via Wirless But NOT via ethernet by M73A on 04-08-2007 at 06:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
how are you "connecting"?
what do you mean? the router connects to the internet and is on all the time... the laptop logs on to the wireless ... the wired desktop is plugged into the router....

just tried to ping the router from the pc and it says destination host unreachable.

gr...
RE: Router Trouble - Can Connect Via Wirless But NOT via ethernet by MeEtc on 04-08-2007 at 06:16 PM

are you sure that the lan ports are enabled on the router? some routers have an option to only function as an access point or only as a router, or both. try looking at the router settings pages

RE: Router Trouble - Can Connect Via Wirless But NOT via ethernet by M73A on 04-08-2007 at 06:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
are you sure that the lan ports are enabled on the router? some routers have an option to only function as an access point or only as a router, or both. try looking at the router settings pages

i dont think this router has that option, what would it come under?

i have home, setup, advanced, tools, status, help
RE: Router Trouble - Can Connect Via Wirless But NOT via ethernet by MeEtc on 04-08-2007 at 06:25 PM

setup or advanced

RE: Router Trouble - Can Connect Via Wirless But NOT via ethernet by M73A on 04-08-2007 at 06:31 PM

heres the advanced options... cant find it through browsing...

RE: Router Trouble - Can Connect Via Wirless But NOT via ethernet by M73A on 04-08-2007 at 06:31 PM

heres the setup...

RE: Router Trouble - Can Connect Via Wirless But NOT via ethernet by Adeptus on 04-08-2007 at 06:39 PM

I am quite sure the problem isn't your router.  That IP address you gave for the desktop didn't fall from the sky.  It must be statically configured, which also explains why it isn't acquiring one from the router.

Go to Network Connections folder, right click the local area connection you are trying to use, choose Properties.  Select TCP/IP protocol, click the Properties button.  Set it to obtain an IP address automatically and obtain DNS servers automatically.

You may need to right click the connection again and "repair" it afterwards.

RE: Router Trouble - Can Connect Via Wirless But NOT via ethernet by M73A on 04-08-2007 at 06:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
I am quite sure the problem isn't your router.  That IP address you gave for the desktop didn't fall from the sky.  It must be statically configured, which also explains why it isn't acquiring one from the router.

Go to Network Connections folder, right click the local area connection you are trying to use, choose Properties.  Select TCP/IP protocol, click the Properties button.  Set it to obtain an IP address automatically and obtain DNS servers automatically.

You may need to right click the connection again and "repair" it afterwards.
i have had a setup ip address of 192.168.1.5 .... the one your talking about did fall from the sky, it comes up with a similar figure whenever i set it back to automatic...

VERY STRANGE! ¬_¬

edit: set it to automatic again and its come up with 169.254.99.100

it just does what it likes!!
RE: Router Trouble - Can Connect Via Wirless But NOT via ethernet by Adeptus on 04-08-2007 at 06:46 PM

Did you, by any chance, make a mistake in your previous post and the address actually starts with 169.254.xx.xx?

EDIT: These things are important, try to get them right next time. :P

169.254.xx.xx addresses are what Windows assigns when it times out trying to acquire an address via DHCP -- so yes, we are back to router,  cabling or NIC issues.

If you had it statically configured with an IP in the correct block and the correct netmask (probably 255.255.255.0) and couldn't ping the router, then something isn't working.  Your laptop probably also has an ethernet port on it -- I would suggest turning the wireless off and trying to connect it wired as a test.  If that works, then you know the router and cable are good.  If you have a different cable, try that as well.

RE: Router Trouble - Can Connect Via Wirless But NOT via ethernet by M73A on 04-08-2007 at 07:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
Did you, by any chance, make a mistake in your previous post and the address actually starts with 169.254.xx.xx?

EDIT: These things are important, try to get them right next time. :P

169.254.xx.xx addresses are what Windows assigns when it times out trying to acquire an address via DHCP -- so yes, we are back to router,  cabling or NIC issues.

If you had it statically configured with an IP in the correct block and the correct netmask (probably 255.255.255.0) and couldn't ping the router, then something isn't working.  Your laptop probably also has an ethernet port on it -- I would suggest turning the wireless off and trying to connect it wired as a test.  If that works, then you know the router and cable are good.  If you have a different cable, try that as well.

hmm, kk... i've got to go home now but ill pass the message on and will reply soon hopefully

thanks for the help. will give the stuff a try.

p.s. ma have got it wrong, was tryna fix it at the time >.< sorreh ^_^
RE: Router Trouble - Can Connect Via Wirless But NOT via ethernet by M73A on 09-09-2007 at 06:18 PM

Done some more... the cable works fine via the laptop, the router works fine also...

I have also tried a PCI wifi card in the pc...

and a USB wifi dongle, both give the dodgy 169.254.xx.xx address...

What would you suggest?

this thread is about the same thing... http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=76511&pid=840739

ethernet
wifi pci
wifi usb
None work :(

RE: Router Trouble - Can Connect Via Wirless But NOT via ethernet by the andyman on 09-10-2007 at 05:11 PM

Go onto the properties for your ethernet adapter and disable or uninstall IPv6