Shoutbox

Typing help in command line is too fast. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Typing help in command line is too fast. (/showthread.php?tid=73594)

Typing help in command line is too fast. by somelauw on 04-14-2007 at 12:18 PM

To show a list of batch/commandline commands you can press help in a command prompt. But how to read it?

I tried:

code:
rem file.bat
help
pause

It went crazy.

I found out pressing break stops the program, but then I can only read half the file.
Especially when reading a single command like
help echo
won't make me read it because if I press too fast I read nothing. If I press too slow I miss it.

Google searching for batch help, doesn't show me links with exactly the same information.
RE: Typing help in command line is too fast. by CookieRevised on 04-14-2007 at 12:21 PM

Simply scroll the command window up after it has finished displaying everything.

RE: Typing help in command line is too fast. by somelauw on 04-14-2007 at 12:22 PM

But help.exe automatically closes after having run it.

RE: Typing help in command line is too fast. by CookieRevised on 04-14-2007 at 12:25 PM

If you used the batch file you showed in your first post then the window will not close as long as you don't press a key... Simply scroll the window to read all the text.

Anyways, if you are working in a bacth file or wanting to do stuff on the command line it is always best (and logic) to first start the command interpreter, instead of doing everything from inside a batch file or from Windows Explorer:

Windows Start > Run > cmd

;)

RE: Typing help in command line is too fast. by somelauw on 04-14-2007 at 12:35 PM

I opened from commandprompt. I am finally able to read it.
Thanks.

RE: Typing help in command line is too fast. by andrewdodd13 on 04-14-2007 at 01:16 PM

You could've also done:
help | more
Which would've paused after every page of output.

RE: Typing help in command line is too fast. by CookieRevised on 04-14-2007 at 01:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
You could've also done:
help | more
Which would've paused after every page of output.
which still needed the command interpreter though... it wouldn't work from Windows Run command.

(and once you presed a key to go to the next screen you can't go back to the previous one, except with scrolling)
RE: Typing help in command line is too fast. by andrewdodd13 on 04-14-2007 at 06:19 PM

My bad, I should've tried it first :(.

Of course, there's always cmd /c help | more - this does work, because it starts the program from within a shell.

RE: Typing help in command line is too fast. by CookieRevised on 04-14-2007 at 07:57 PM

yep...

somelauw, there are also of course some other things you can do.
eg: to print all the help:
c:\> help > prn

to make a textfile of all the help:
c:\> help > help.txt
which you then can read with notepad for example

etc...

;)

RE: Typing help in command line is too fast. by somelauw on 04-14-2007 at 08:41 PM

I remember I tried that last one before but I see why that didn't work. I made another batch file called help.bat which was executed instead. I'm sometimes that confused. :D

Thanks a lot.