Shoutbox

For goodness sake, extend the signature length! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! (/showthread.php?tid=73653)

For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by absorbation on 04-16-2007 at 06:35 PM

Please, it is driving me mad. 400 characters isn't enough, and to top it off an annoying bug means despite I have used exactly 400 characters it says the length is too long.

When will the pain of changing a signature go ...

Who agrees? :P

RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by L. Coyote on 04-16-2007 at 06:50 PM

Hmm.... Maybe 500-512, but I don't think any more than that is good. If you need to add long URLs for images or whatnot, use a service like tinyURL.

RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by -dt- on 04-16-2007 at 06:54 PM

its fine as it is, people dont need 1000 word signatures :P

RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by Sunshine on 04-16-2007 at 06:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by topic
For goodness sake, extend the signature length!
I don't see what goodness could come from longer signatures :dodgy:
RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by MeEtc on 04-16-2007 at 07:04 PM

more chars=longer loading times for people with slow connections.

RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by Nagamasa on 04-16-2007 at 07:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by L. Coyote
Maybe 500-512
About right.
quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
I have used exactly 400 characters
It probably then takes too many lines...I remember I had this problem too.
RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by Nathan on 04-16-2007 at 07:29 PM

Nah,
If you put lots of links in your signature then you're not displaying a lot of text but you are still restricted.

Maybe there's someway of coding it so it ignores everything in: [url=lalalal this text is ignored.com]this text isnt ignored[/url]

RE: RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by andrewdodd13 on 04-16-2007 at 07:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc

512 chars < One 64x64 image.

There are some scenarios where a longer space to type the sig is required, like if you want to have lots of colours and what-not, but how important are sigs anyway? :P.
RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by absorbation on 04-16-2007 at 07:30 PM

I'm just trying to add another link to my current signature, but it is having non of it.  Loading a few more extra letters won't make a difference for people with slower connections, especially if people have ridiculous large file sized images in their sigs (a).

RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by Nathan on 04-16-2007 at 07:31 PM

9.5kb is my sig size :D

RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by absorbation on 04-16-2007 at 07:35 PM

Mine is 366 bytes. That kills off the loading time argument [Image: zippyescopeta.gif].

RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by Mike on 04-16-2007 at 07:53 PM

I agree, the limit should be increase.
I hate it when people use yep.it or similar services to make their links shorter so that they can put more stuff in their sigs.
I want to know where a link will send me before clicking it, not just see some non-sense stuff.
People also use yep.it for images, which just sucks.
Firefox can't show the filesize of the image.

RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by John Anderton on 04-16-2007 at 07:57 PM

quote:
We're talking about text so you've got to be kidding me :-/
Its images you need to worried about. And by you, I mean people with slow connections. And by people with slow connections I mean me :P
RE: RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by Vimto on 04-16-2007 at 08:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
quote:
Originally posted by topic
For goodness sake, extend the signature length!
I don't see what goodness could come from longer signatures :dodgy:

RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by CookieRevised on 04-16-2007 at 08:06 PM

Be creative with what you got is my motto..

More characters in sigs means most people (granted not all) will make their sig rediculus longer with nonsense anyways.

RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by Kenji on 04-16-2007 at 08:07 PM

Some forums i go to have a limit of like 2mb per sig :(

The char limit shouldn't even be there IMO. Just make it so it cant stretch the page in anyway.. :P

RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by L. Coyote on 04-16-2007 at 08:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazzy
Some forums i go to have a limit of like 2mb per sig :(

The char limit shouldn't even be there IMO. Just make it so it cant stretch the page in anyway.. :P
This forum has an anti-stretch fix, so there's no problem with that. But that's not the point. :P

Another forum I go to has a 1024 char limit, but less than 100kb (for images). It's okay if you want to color each letter differently, but many people abuse it to add lines and lines of needless text.

Granted, their mods will never compare to our mods (*washes tongue*) but still, such character limit is problematic and, like Cookie said (*washes tongue again*) people need to be creative with what they've got.
RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by Menthix on 04-16-2007 at 08:19 PM

quote:
limit of like 2mb per sig
quote:
The char limit shouldn't even be there IMO
Your ideas fear me deeply :o.
RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by prashker on 04-16-2007 at 08:21 PM

I say if the text that is too long is in a [img] tag, then it should be ignored :p.

RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by Omar on 04-16-2007 at 08:32 PM

a bigger sig = bigger penis...

RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by Oxy on 04-16-2007 at 08:39 PM

I agree.. Make it so you can have more text, but reduce the size allowment of images :P

RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by Kenji on 04-16-2007 at 08:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
limit of like 2mb per sig
quote:
The char limit shouldn't even be there IMO
Your ideas fear me deeply :o.
huh?

I was just saying that another forum i go to lets you have up to 2mb per sig, i wasnt suggesting it. :(

I don't think there is any need for the char limit, just make it so it cant stretch the page. :P
RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by wj on 04-16-2007 at 11:01 PM

I just don't see the need.

If you are really having issues with length as a result of links or image locations, use something like tinyurl.

RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by Lou on 04-16-2007 at 11:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
I just don't see the need.

If you are really having issues with length as a result of links or image locations, use something like tinyurl.
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
I hate it when people use yep.it or similar services to make their links shorter so that they can put more stuff in their sigs.
I want to know where a link will send me before clicking it, not just see some non-sense stuff.
I have to agree with that.
RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by Rolando on 04-17-2007 at 01:37 AM

lol Omar has a small epenis :lol:

Anyways, I think its fine as it is (a).. but try, yep.it addresses or similar stuff are very annoying for what Mike said :S

RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by markee on 04-17-2007 at 01:48 AM

I think Mike has a good point about the yep.it addresses and I agree quite a lot with it.  And don't we have a limit on the amount of images anyway (I think I remember aNILEator complain about it a while ago)? If that's so then we will only be increasing the text which is barely anything to download or store.  I can't see how it could be such a bad thing to increase it by 100 characters or something, it is not like it will add much loading time or much spam, but it however gives us a much safer feeling when we click on links.

RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by WDZ on 04-17-2007 at 01:58 AM

quote:
What a silly argument... :p

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
Maybe there's someway of coding it so it ignores everything in: [url=lalalal this text is ignored.com]this text isnt ignored[/url]
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
I say if the text that is too long is in a [img] tag, then it should be ignored :p.
I think that's a good idea... URLs shouldn't count towards the total number of characters. I'll consider coding that.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
* WDZ agrees 100%

quote:
i wasnt suggesting it
Why bring it up then? ¬¬
RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by Chrono on 04-17-2007 at 02:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
Nah,
If you put lots of links in your signature then you're not displaying a lot of text but you are still restricted.

Good idea :P
RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by Kenji on 04-17-2007 at 02:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Why bring it up then? ¬¬
I was saying how crap it was.. Takes years to load a thread, had to disable sigs in the end :tongue:
RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by ShawnZ on 04-17-2007 at 02:13 AM

quote:

it only takes 0.0001 seconds to download a letter on dial up :p
RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by Hank on 04-17-2007 at 09:36 AM

if anything Signature Lengths should be shortened IMO

RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by Lou on 04-17-2007 at 11:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
Why?
RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by Oxy on 04-17-2007 at 11:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
Why?
I don't see why either.. I mean, more text really isn't much.. it's the images you've gotta watch out for..
RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by vaccination on 04-17-2007 at 11:52 AM

Seeing as there's already a image limit(3 or something?) then extending the amount of characters wouldn't be a problem, cause there's no problem in downloading more text. And with the fixed amount of space for signatures already in place there wont be any increase in the length of sigs so I can't see the harm.

So either extend character limit or, like previously said, don't count tags or urls

RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by Oxy on 04-18-2007 at 10:07 AM

is anything going to be done with the sig? :S

RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by Lou on 04-18-2007 at 10:35 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
Why?
I must ask again. See if you can't give a good reason for them to be shortened, it's the same as everyone else not giving a good reason for them to be lengthened. No reason = no change.
RE: RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by WDZ on 04-19-2007 at 12:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Lukas
Yes. :P Like I said above, I think excluding the length of URLs is a good idea, and in fact, I already implemented it yesterday.

The character limit is still 400, but URLs now count as only one character each. Also, I disabled the dodgy old Javascript-based limiter.
RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by Rolando on 04-19-2007 at 12:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Yes. :P Like I said above, I think excluding the length of URLs is a good idea, and in fact, I already implemented it yesterday.

The character limit is still 400, but URLs now count as only one character each. Also, I disabled the dodgy old Javascript-based limiter.

:bow:
RE: RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by Hank on 04-19-2007 at 01:53 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
Why?

some are to Big, , + with people still on Dialiup it'd be quicker for those to download the page/thread .. not all of us Users are on Broadband

quote:
it's the images you've gotta watch out for.
thats my point im trying to make,, the IMages people use,, text anyone can download that fast
RE: For goodness sake, extend the signature length! by prashker on 04-19-2007 at 01:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:

niiiiiiiiice (h).

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
some are to Big, , + with people still on Dialiup it'd be quicker for those to download the page/thread .. not all of us Users are on Broadband
Thats what this is for :p

[Image: attachment.php?pid=810046]

tbh, WDZ. Add to the registration form of the website, "Do you have dialup" Which then disables the 2 things in that picture automatically when you signup :).