Shoutbox

Outrageous - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Outrageous (/showthread.php?tid=73664)

Outrageous by Lou on 04-16-2007 at 11:20 PM

* Lou raises his non existent hat in a symbol of sadness for the 33 that died in the United States...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6560685.stm

I find this completely, horribly, atrocious.

RE: Outrageous by andrewdodd13 on 04-16-2007 at 11:25 PM

It's a horrible thing when people do things like this... My thoughts go out to the families of the victims. :(

Unfortunately, putting the atrocity of the whole even aside, I'm counting down the seconds until Jack Thomson blames it on GTA.

RE: Outrageous by duck! on 04-16-2007 at 11:39 PM

¬_¬
Why shoot inocent people who are still learning and living a life?
I feel sorry for the families and friends of the victims :sad:

RE: Outrageous by Rolando on 04-17-2007 at 12:59 AM

yes, I heard about it :(

RE: Outrageous by prashker on 04-17-2007 at 01:05 AM

This really sucks, my mom told me about it. Wow, some people are just idiots. R.I.P :(.

RE: Outrageous by Nagamasa on 04-17-2007 at 01:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by duck!
Why shoot inocent people who are still learning and living a life?
Well it is unknown yet if all 32 people that were shot to death were innocent...though I can almost assume that a least 30 of them didn't deserved to die...they died too young...

Just too bad that there is such thing as gun violence in this world. :(
RE: Outrageous by linx05 on 04-17-2007 at 02:07 AM

The first thing I thought of when I heard about this was, "Why couldn't he just commit suicide or get help instead of doing something as radical as this?"

I wonder how much they'll beef up the security there as my girlfriends friend is going there this year to study.

Keep a watch on LiveLeak and other such sites guys.

RE: Outrageous by Voldemort on 04-17-2007 at 02:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Wikipedia Boy
Well it is unknown yet if all 32 people that were shot to death were innocent...though I can almost assume that a least 30 of them didn't deserved to die...they died too young...
no one deserves to die.
death is coward's escape to reality.

btw, this goes further than the videogame fault crap... comes down to the shit our society is, we are not that good either, here, they kill a person every 50 hours, on average...drug related....
RE: Outrageous by Adeptus on 04-17-2007 at 04:50 AM

I have a friend who is at Virginia Tech and is a resident assistant at the residence hall where the initial shootings took place.  He is fine -- however, a fellow RA and a friend of his appears to have been one of the first victims.

Oh well.  Shit happens.

RE: Outrageous by Oxy on 04-17-2007 at 12:04 PM

Fucking terrible (excuse language) Why the hell do they.. it's just horrific.

They didn't deserve it.

RE: Outrageous by vaccination on 04-17-2007 at 12:08 PM

I still find it funny how the school wasn't closed, even an isolated incident, there's still a big risk 8-)

R.I.P to all that died.

This is why guns shouldn't be so widely available 8-)

RE: Outrageous by FrozenDaggers on 04-17-2007 at 02:01 PM

I thought they did close the school? Or they cancelled lessons or something & told everyone to stay in their rooms with doors/windows closed.

It's sad what's happened. They still don't know if it was just the one guy, or if there were more people involved. :\

RE: Outrageous by vaccination on 04-17-2007 at 02:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by FrozenDaggers
I thought they did close the school? Or they cancelled lessons or something & told everyone to stay in their rooms with doors/windows closed.

I just read "Asked why the campus was not closed after the first shooting, Mr Flinchum said that, at that stage, it was thought to be an isolated incident." and took it to mean they didn't close it.

so did they or didn't they? I'm confused now:P
RE: Outrageous by Joe on 04-17-2007 at 03:25 PM

I don't think any words could express how extremely tragic this must be, to the families and students all around the nation.

RE: Outrageous by Lourix on 04-17-2007 at 03:34 PM

Nothing like this usually happens in Europe, something must be done to ensure this doesn't happen again. But it has happened a few times hasn't it?

RE: Outrageous by lrac522 on 04-17-2007 at 03:41 PM

Was a total shock... It's only a pity that we will still experience more of this in the future and don't know who will be caught up in it. So sad. :(:(

RE: Outrageous by Weyzza on 04-17-2007 at 03:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
This is why guns shouldn't be so widely available 8-)
It's going to be one of the hot topics for a few weeks.
But, again, gun supporters will say, "Guns don't kill. People do."

RE: Outrageous by Lourix on 04-17-2007 at 03:48 PM

I don't think though this topic should be treated lightly though and also I partly agree with that statement but why did that person do it? Not a very good thing.

RE: Outrageous by Vimto on 04-17-2007 at 04:04 PM

On the news this morning they said something like the gunman first killed his ex girlfriend and then his ex girlfriends boyfriend and then other students cause he met his ex girlfriend at Virginia Tech so he was like mad at it. :s Dont know if its true. Thats what they said on the news.

RE: Outrageous by Adeptus on 04-17-2007 at 04:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Weyzza
Sure, they will.  They will also be 100% correct. 

If anything, this incident shows why gun restrictions are idiotic.  Guns are prohibited on the VT campus by strictly enforced policy.  That clearly didn't stop the psycho from having more than one.  It stopped the sane students and staff from having guns to shoot the psycho with and end the rampage early.
RE: Outrageous by marissa on 04-17-2007 at 05:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lourix
Nothing like this would ever happen in Europe, something must be done to ensure this doesn't happen again. But it has happened a few times hasn't it?

how do you know? we didnt think it'd happen in Canada, but it started this chain of shootings :\ but, i guess it's happened before as well here, just a bit ago.

it could happen anywhere. i know im afraid to go to school :\ a few weeks after the one in Montreal my school was on lock down becuase some guy wanted to rob a Burger King and he got away with his gun and our schools were less than a block away.

it's horrible what happened...again. it's just getting ridiculous.
RE: Outrageous by Lou on 04-18-2007 at 01:07 AM

I'm way in Canada and our principal made an announcement today about "enforcing school security". However, he's sending a letter to Virginia tech's dean to ask if we can help in any such way as a school.

RE: Outrageous by qgroessl on 04-18-2007 at 02:07 AM

Just heard on the news classes at VA Tech are cancelled for a week... and I agree... guns don't kill people, people kill people.

I just like... tihnk it's dumb... a 5th grader at our elementary school left a bomb threat to get out of school.... yesterday... But of course, they're so dumb, they didn't write it till like 2 in the afternoon... so they got out five minutes early...

My heart goes out to everybody affected by the tragedy... I just hope everything gets sorted out and things get better for their familys and friends.

RE: Outrageous by linx05 on 04-18-2007 at 03:59 AM

You can always say guns don't kill people, people do. But do we really need automatic weapons sold to citizens? I know in Australia after the Port Arthur Massacre there was a near complete ban on all semi-automatic rifles and shotguns, and all pump-action shotguns.

Make it harder to get weapons and don't allow such powerful and quick to fire weapons to be sold to citizens. That can be the first step.

EDIT: Just read some of the slack laws they have over there: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21576049-2,00.html

RE: RE: Outrageous by CookieRevised on 04-18-2007 at 05:51 AM

quote:
After the first shooting, they thought it was an isolated incident and simply said to students to report any dodgy behvaiour and they send some warning emails around, a few hours later (when the second shooting was already going on) :/ Nobody was send home, lessons went on as usual, etc after first shooting...

Police and headmsaters (or whatever) are twisting around in every direction to try and justify their (utterly stupid <= personal addition) reaction on it...

quote:
It's sad what's happened. They still don't know if it was just the one guy, or if there were more people involved. :\
1 guy, south-korean student (US resident), 23 years old...

quote:
Nothing like this would ever happen in Europe, something must be done to ensure this doesn't happen again. But it has happened a few times hasn't it?
I wouldn't say 'ever'... But it sure is true that it almost never happens at all.. The big difference? The mentality and that whole stupid crap NRA and utterly ridiculus weapon laws.

quote:
yeah, wich is the biggest crap ever to use as an argument...

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
quote:
Sure, they will.  They will also be 100% correct. 

If anything, this incident shows why gun restrictions are idiotic.  Guns are prohibited on the VT campus by strictly enforced policy.  That clearly didn't stop the psycho from having more than one.  It stopped the sane students and staff from having guns to shoot the psycho with and end the rampage early.

We just recently discussed this in private... And with this incident my standpoint is even bigger as what I've said in PM before...

Anyways, now you're saying that it is the fault of the restriction on campus to carry a gun that this happened? Excuse me? Since when is taking law in your own hands been a solution for anything?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The reason why this happened is firstly because of his instability and secondly because anyone can buy guns (and even semi-automatic weapons) without any background check or license or whatever!

In case you didn't already new, on average there are 2 shootings like this on campusses every year in the US!.

It is the bloody NRA and their power in politics which keep this going on.

Restricting gun access does NOT mean restricting hunting and other sports related to guns! It means people won't be able anymore to buy guns, just like that for no reason, without any instructions or education on how to handle them, etc... It also does not mean restricting access to freedom at all for that matter. What on earth does a normal person need a semi-automatic weapon for? Or even canons? Oh, and collecting guns and such can still be done btw, provided you have a license, prooven to be able to handle guns and a stabel background.

Another hard fact is that in extremely (way more than half) many cases where guns are used for self-defense, the gun is used AGAINST the persons who are trying to defend themselfs with it. And another big portion are all the accidents which happen with guns in home.

Only a small fraction of all incidents involves guns being used "successfully" to take law in your own hands. And for that matter, as I said before, since when is that a solution or even allowed?

And then Bush giving his greeves to the family... oh please... He better shut up and go back to what he does best: fucking up the environment (and be proud of it too), keeping the war in Irac going on (and beeing proud of it), pumping billions of dollars in lost causes, and giving guns to children...

He supports the gun law... Well then why does he also worry about other countries doing tests with bombs... Bombs don't kill people, people kill people... Blah, lets give the terrorists what they need anyways, as blue prints of how to blow up a building doesn't kill people, people kill people...

Sorry, but I think it is very clear by now that, personally, I find all this utterly crap, selfish, selfcentered, and extremely hypocritical...
RE: RE: Outrageous by High Speed Chaser on 04-18-2007 at 06:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by linx05
You can always say guns don't kill people, people do. But do we really need automatic weapons sold to citizens? I know in Australia after the Port Arthur Massacre there was a near complete ban on all semi-automatic rifles and shotguns, and all pump-action shotguns.

Make it harder to get weapons and don't allow such powerful and quick to fire weapons to be sold to citizens. That can be the first step.

EDIT: Just read some of the slack laws they have over there: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21576049-2,00.html

That still did not stop the Monash University shooting.
If I recall the guy in that shooting was also Asian
Monash University Shooting Answers.com
RE: RE: RE: Outrageous by Discrate on 04-18-2007 at 07:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by High Speed Chaser
quote:
Originally posted by linx05

That still did not stop the Monash University shooting.
If I recall the guy in that shooting was also Asian
Monash University Shooting Answers.com

Does it really matter if a person is asian or not? Anyone could do it,it doesnt really matter what race they are. What i have noticed is that nearly all the people who have shot people at there school have either been picked on,something bad happen in there life, or have had mental problems. The 2 guys at that columbine school who shot people there, were said to have been picked on by many students, (like the football players) becuase they were wierd and wore black and other things. So when they came to the school they start shooting all the athletic people,such as footballs players who gave them crap.
RE: Outrageous by Omar on 04-18-2007 at 08:32 AM

quote:
Nothing like this would ever happen in Europe
Germany is part of Europe... last that i knew off... :p
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:

Police and headmsaters (or whatever) are twisting around in every direction to try and justify their (utterly stupid <= personal addition) reaction on it...
hm.... let's see....

I don't think the Police/School Staff had any reason to believe that the initial murders were going to turn into a shooting spree across campus.

I don't blame them for initially treating it like a double homicide.

People really need to stop blaming the police and school officials here. Sometimes blaming people makes us feel better, but much of the time there really is no one to blame. ok, ok.... Only the fucker that started shooting everyone is to blame.

Anyway.... I blame GTA, Doom and all them video games (pacman included) :rolleyes:
RE: RE: Outrageous by CookieRevised on 04-18-2007 at 01:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Omar
quote:
quote:

hm.... let's see....

I don't think the Police/School Staff had any reason to believe that the initial murders were going to turn into a shooting spree across campus.

I don't blame them for initially treating it like a double homicide.

People really need to stop blaming the police and school officials here. Sometimes blaming people makes us feel better, but much of the time there really is no one to blame. ok, ok.... Only the fucker that started shooting everyone is to blame.
The warnings they gave out by email were done _hours_ later (not like 10 minutes later) and when they finally sends those warnings (by email :dodgy:) the second shooting was _already_ going on for a while.... It is this aspect which makes it so questionable....

It is indeed understandeable that they treated it at first as an isolated homocide, it is not understandable what they did (not) do next.
RE: Outrageous by Joe on 04-18-2007 at 02:06 PM

How in hell are you expected to lockdown a campus of 26000 students? (Many of which are driving to school with no way to check their e-mail. Campus police aren't exactly the biggest regiments either, how do you expect that many police officers to go through the entire campus, secure each building, and keep the perpetrator away?

Even if they did go through and lockdown the entire campus, if they locked in the gunman (which he actually did himself by chaining the doors shut) then the victims are in danger anyways. People always try to point fingers when something goes wrong.

Things such as video games, or parents, or nobody cared enough to try and prevent it. These are all subconscious means our mind use as principles to make our own understandings of shocking and ming-shaking events.

This isn't meant to cause any stirring-of-the-pot, call anyone out, or annoy/anger anyone in this thread, this is just meant for me to say what I couldn't hold in any longer.

On a more realistic note, why don't we pray (or hope if you have no deity) that these families can get through these events and put our hands and pointing fingers down. MY mother always taught me that when you point a finger, you've got three pointing back at yourself.

RE: RE: Outrageous by CookieRevised on 04-18-2007 at 03:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by atown44
How in hell are you expected to lockdown a campus of 26000 students? (Many of which are driving to school with no way to check their e-mail. Campus police aren't exactly the biggest regiments either, how do you expect that many police officers to go through the entire campus, secure each building, and keep the perpetrator away?
It isn't about the lockdown, it is about the time delay between sending a notice, and how that notice was send (and during the shooting!!!). And they could also said that lessons were cancelled and people should stay home.

Of coure this wouldn't prevented it from happening in the worst case, but it might have saved some people...

If there was a bombtreat they sure would be able to evacuate people...

Saying it wouldnt matter isn't a reason for not doing it. That's the same as saying restricting gun access would prevented it. It may or may not, but it also might (and certainly will) prevent many other cases.

quote:
Things such as video games, or parents, or nobody cared enough to try and prevent it. These are all subconscious means our mind use as principles to make our own understandings of shocking and ming-shaking events.
all those things _feed_ what is already there.

It starts with being bullied and ends with this for example.

Hence why I am also extremely against bullying people or even disrespecting other cultures etc, it all starts with this. It's the values and morals (or lack of) which quite often starts all this.
RE: Outrageous by absorbation on 04-18-2007 at 03:15 PM

Sometimes you can't understand people in this world. Gun crime is a serious problem in America, and the only thing good that could come out of this is if laws are made much much much tighter on guns, if not getting rid of them all together :sad:

RE: Outrageous by vaccination on 04-18-2007 at 03:16 PM

There was a study, violent video games only have an 'effect'* on people who are already violent and/or mentally unstable(for lack of better word) - in that part of the brain..

Also IMHO the 'violent video games cause people to be violent' is bollocks.

*effect doesn't mean they start going out killing people, just that they were more active in the part of brain that handles violence after playing the violent video games and more likely to get violent with someone/act out something from a game

Can't link to source 'cause I read it in a science magazine I read

RE: Outrageous by Adeptus on 04-18-2007 at 03:45 PM

quote:
Anyways, now you're saying that it is the fault of the restriction on campus to carry a gun that this happened? Excuse me? Since when is taking law in your own hands been a solution for anything?
First of all, self defense is not "taking law into your own hands".  It is taking responsibility for protecting your own life and lives of others, and it is sometimes the only solution.  When someone comes into your classroom and opens fire, you know police won't get there fast enough -- you are on your own.

Argument against "taking law into your own hands" would apply where the perpetrator is not a clear and present threat to yourself and others.  It doesn't apply here.  Everyone at Virginia Tech would have been better off if an armed student or staff member had shot the psycho after he killed the first one or two people. 

By the way, the perpetrator of another school shooting was stopped by armed students.  Although it seems at that point he was trying to leave, there could very well have been additional victims if someone got in his way.
quote:
...anyone can buy guns (and even semi-automatic weapons) without any background check or license or whatever!
This is not true.  A background check is performed when you buy a gun and was performed here.  He had no criminal record, so he was allowed to purchase the guns.

Furthermore, a license is required to carry a concealed weapon in public.  The review process for that license is more extensive and penalties for carry without having one are quite severe.
RE: Outrageous by ipab on 04-18-2007 at 04:02 PM

Well the problem with gun violence in is quite deeply rooted in the United States.

The second amendment to the constitution states this:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

As you can see in order to reduce easy access to guns, this must be handled at a very core level.

Moreover, United States' economy is heavily dependent on the weapon industry. For example the DoD (department of defense) has a massive budget for financing weapon research which is basically guns, ammo etc. Now if say one day they decide that they are going to stop making guns, the entire nation's economy would collapse... The very fiber of US's existence is dependent on their ability to facilitate easy access to weapons and their ability to support wars by selling them the weapons.

I know that selling weapons to war raged countries and providing civilians with easy access to weapons might seem like two different things, but they are tied together due to the same core reason being that the very foundation that the United States is built on their existence...

RE: Outrageous by absorbation on 04-18-2007 at 08:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
This is not true.  A background check is performed when you buy a gun and was performed here.  He had no criminal record, so he was allowed to purchase the guns.

There needs to be more checks, lots more. Checking his mental history may of saved lives in this case.
RE: Outrageous by Joe on 04-19-2007 at 12:25 AM

http://digg.com/world_news/Cho_Seung_Hui_Sent_Pac..._Between_Shootings

RE: Outrageous by nightwolf07 on 04-20-2007 at 09:48 AM

The only problem I have with this is the fact it took over TWO hours to warn the campus.

Not only that, they LET the students carry on with their lessons.

If some guy has just shot someone in a dorm and has gone missing...are you really going to want to go to lesson if your told?

I know I wouldn't

They definetly could have handled this alot better and probably saved alot more lives.