Shoutbox

*Free* Partition Manager [SOLVED] - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: *Free* Partition Manager [SOLVED] (/showthread.php?tid=73764)

*Free* Partition Manager [SOLVED] by ryxdp on 04-20-2007 at 04:20 AM

Does anyone know of a GOOD, FREE Partition Manager?

All I need to do is resize my C:\ Drive, I guess, and that's it.

I've checked on Download.com and it's all shareware that probably won't let you do anything anyway...

RE: *Free* Partition Manager by Adeptus on 04-20-2007 at 04:25 AM

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

RE: *Free* Partition Manager by ryxdp on 04-20-2007 at 04:35 AM

RE: *Free* Partition Manager by Rolando on 04-20-2007 at 04:36 AM

Thanks, I'll try this as well :)

RE: *Free* Partition Manager by ryxdp on 04-20-2007 at 04:40 AM

Umm, how do I use this? I know .iso files, but I can't use them because I don't have a disc writer.

Could someone please explain...? :S

RE: *Free* Partition Manager by Rolando on 04-20-2007 at 04:41 AM

I download undisker... some program I found while searching how to extract them. dunno how well it works.. yet

edit: that extracted it but I don't know what to do with it now ^o)

RE: *Free* Partition Manager by ryxdp on 04-20-2007 at 04:53 AM

Okay, well this LiveCD thing doesn't seem to work. Is there anything else out there, like Partition Magic, but free?

RE: *Free* Partition Manager by MeEtc on 04-20-2007 at 04:58 AM

It is virtually impossible to resize your C: drive if you have Windows running, so extracting the files and running it will not do anything. You need to burn it to disk and boot from the disk in order to do anything to your C: drive. I would also highly recommend a heavy defrag and disk backup before you attempt to do this. By a heavy defrag, I mean to run the defrag multiple times until the process takes only seconds to complete. This may take 5 times or more.

RE: *Free* Partition Manager by ryxdp on 04-20-2007 at 05:06 AM

It's all in your head, Damokun...:P

a). I don't have a disc burner.
b). I didn't run the LiveCD. It seems to only be for Linux or something (unknown file types were found in the .gz).

RE: *Free* Partition Manager by Adeptus on 04-20-2007 at 05:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ryxpia
Umm, how do I use this? I know .iso files, but I can't use them because I don't have a disc writer.
Unfortunately, the only way the GParted LiveCD image works is burnt to a CD, from which you then boot your computer.  Perhaps you can download and burn it at a friend's house or somewhere else.  In addition, be sure to burn it as an image, not just copy the file to a CD.

I believe PartitionMagic can be used from hard drive (it will reboot the computer and start before Windows to perform the resize), but it is not free.
RE: *Free* Partition Manager by ryxdp on 04-20-2007 at 05:46 AM

Well, it seems that I might have a valid copy of PartitionMagic 8, due to my dad having version 6, thusly having the serial key. But I'm not sure whether or not it will work (Nothing's come up yet, but I haven't made any changes either, so...)

It says as a side note when I'm resizing my C:\ drive:

"This partition crosses the 1024 cylinder boundary and may not be bootable."

Is this something I should watch out for? I'm not really that good with this sort of stuff (partitions etc.)

RE: *Free* Partition Manager by Adeptus on 04-20-2007 at 06:22 AM

You shouldn't worry about that message -- it mainly applies to old versions of Windows. 

The BIOS disk I/O functions used by bootloaders are unable to read past cylinder 1024 due to historical limitations.  Current Windows versions solve this problem by placing the essential files this applies to at the beginning of the partition, and they are not likely to be moved by PartitionMagic.

That said, partition resizing is a "hack" and not something intended by design, which is why Microsoft doesn't offer tools to do that.  Although quite safe, there is always some minuscule possibility of a resize going badly.  I'd recommend you back up your really important files as well as make sure you have access to a Windows CD, in case you need to repair your installation.

RE: RE: *Free* Partition Manager by Verte on 04-20-2007 at 06:52 AM

quote:
It's all in your head, Damokun...:P

a). I don't have a disc burner.
b). I didn't run the LiveCD. It seems to only be for Linux or something (unknown file types were found in the .gz).

You will probably need to find someone who can burn it for you. The liveCD should recognise those files when it boots- but it needs to boot, rather than Windows. I doubt it's trivial to boot to an .iso without burning it from Windows, but I have no experience there.

Though this is kind of strange. Far as I know, ext2/3 can be resized practically on the fly, so there's not much need for a standalone Linux partition manager? I know the Debian installer allows you to adjust ntfs partitions: that's too much hassle, but it shows it's possible. Interesting.
RE: *Free* Partition Manager by ryxdp on 04-20-2007 at 07:54 AM

Well it seems everything rounded out perfectly, with me about to reboot to make some changes thanks to a ripped version of Partition Magic 8.0 (retrieved with a bit of help from Damokun :D).

Thanks anyone and everyone who helped :P

RE: RE: *Free* Partition Manager by Vilkku on 04-20-2007 at 09:03 AM

quote:
Well it seems everything rounded out perfectly, with me about to reboot to make some changes thanks to a ripped version of Partition Magic 8.0 (retrieved with a bit of help from Damokun :D).

Thanks anyone and everyone who helped :P

Good luck :D

EDIT: That story is missing the end actually, as I ended up reformating anyway, as Windows wasn't working properly (but I was able to backup everything I had, so it was no biggie). Also note that my new site has a bigger awesomeness factor!
RE: *Free* Partition Manager [SOLVED] by Verte on 04-20-2007 at 09:43 AM

Just need to fix the emptyness factor :)