Shoutbox

How do I do this? (schedualed site visits) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: How do I do this? (schedualed site visits) (/showthread.php?tid=73830)

How do I do this? (schedualed site visits) by Woraug on 04-22-2007 at 07:19 AM

I want to set up Firefox (or any program, for that matter) To visit a specific address every six hours.  Is there an easy way to do this?

RE: How do I do this? (schedualed site visits) by ryxdp on 04-22-2007 at 08:47 AM

Scheduled Tasks. Maybe you might be able to drop a .url in there or something...I can't test it cause I can't find it I don't have it, for some reason :P Bleh. Don't need it anyway :cheesy:

Control Panel -> Scheduled Tasks I think.

RE: How do I do this? (schedualed site visits) by zach on 04-22-2007 at 09:59 AM

You could use ReloadEvery, the extension for Firefox and set it to every six hours.

RE: How do I do this? (schedualed site visits) by rav0 on 04-22-2007 at 11:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Woraug
I want to set up Firefox (or any program, for that matter) To visit a specific address every six hours.  Is there an easy way to do this?
In Opera web browser, just go to any page, and then select "Reload every ..." from the page menu.
RE: How do I do this? (schedualed site visits) by Jarrod on 04-22-2007 at 01:55 PM

or put this in notepad save as .bat and scheduel it
bat code:

make something the site u want to visit obiously:p

RE: How do I do this? (schedualed site visits) by Supersonicdarky on 04-22-2007 at 02:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zach
You could use ReloadEvery, the extension for Firefox and set it to every six hours.
quote:
Originally posted by rav0
In Opera web browser, just go to any page, and then select "Reload every ..." from the page menu.
doesnt firefox already have that?

right click > reload every > custom > 360m 0s ?
RE: How do I do this? (schedualed site visits) by Felu on 04-22-2007 at 02:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
doesnt firefox already have that?

right click > reload every > custom > 360m 0s ?

Only if you have ReloadEvery extension :P.
RE: How do I do this? (schedualed site visits) by Supersonicdarky on 04-22-2007 at 02:58 PM

the only extension that starts with an R is Remove It Permanently

must be some other extension that does it i guess.

RE: RE: How do I do this? (schedualed site visits) by pollolibredegrasa on 04-22-2007 at 03:01 PM

quote:

must be some other extension that does it i guess.

Tab Mix Plus v0.3.5.2 has this option too. :)
RE: How do I do this? (schedualed site visits) by Supersonicdarky on 04-22-2007 at 03:03 PM

must be that then.

RE: How do I do this? (schedualed site visits) by Felu on 04-22-2007 at 03:25 PM

quote:
* Felu points at ReloadEvery
RE: How do I do this? (schedualed site visits) by Supersonicdarky on 04-22-2007 at 03:27 PM

i meant out of the ones that i had installed.

RE: How do I do this? (schedualed site visits) by Jarrod on 04-22-2007 at 11:51 PM

which site are you trying to open
if u use

quote:
start iexplore.exe www.something.com
PING 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 3000 >NUL
taskkill /im iexplore.exe

and save it as a bat file you dont need to have your browser open. it opens then closes and if you change the 3000 number you can have it wait a couple of minutes
it works perfectly
RE: How do I do this? (schedualed site visits) by Woraug on 04-23-2007 at 01:03 AM

What number would I set that to to have IE open for about five minutes?  I don't know if that 3000 is milliseconds or seconds.

RE: How do I do this? (schedualed site visits) by Jarrod on 04-23-2007 at 01:10 AM

i don't know just experiment 30000 might do it
but it is by far the better way of doing it
btw: you need a copy of taskill if your running xphome

RE: How do I do this? (schedualed site visits) by Woraug on 04-23-2007 at 02:06 AM

I tried the .bat approach with scheduled tasks.  It works to start the task, but it won't kill IE.  I set the time to 300.  I'm using XP Pro BTW.

RE: How do I do this? (schedualed site visits) by lizard.boy on 04-23-2007 at 03:46 AM

Are you trying to access the page to read it? Or are you trying to access the page so that the server will do something, without you actually having to see the page's output?

If your trying to just get the server to do something, use Wget for windows and use a scheduled task to retrieve the page with the -S switch to download and discard the file.

RE: How do I do this? (schedualed site visits) by Woraug on 04-23-2007 at 03:50 AM

Trying to access the page so the server will do a certain update.

RE: How do I do this? (schedualed site visits) by lizard.boy on 04-23-2007 at 04:08 AM

In that case, you can use the method I described. I know it works perfectly for my dynamic DNS clients.

RE: How do I do this? (schedualed site visits) by Jarrod on 04-23-2007 at 01:06 PM

check if you have the program taskkill but it works on my machine it does exactly that opens ie then kills it after the pause
well sorry it didn't work for you

RE: How do I do this? (schedualed site visits) by Woraug on 04-24-2007 at 01:58 AM

I got it.

Taskkill does work, just not in the same .bat file for some reason.  I just created two separate .bats, one containing the code to open IE and go to the site, and one containing the taskkill line.  I just scheduled the taskkill five minutes after the first script.