Shoutbox

emo - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: emo (/showthread.php?tid=73831)

emo by Discrate on 04-22-2007 at 08:44 AM

Today in the area i live, two people who were emo were found in the bush with rope around there neck hanging from a tree. They had been missing since last sunday, but today a guy walking through the bush finally found them. After hearing this i had a think about my area and the amount of people that are emo and how many people actually kill them selfs. The number i came up with was alot. It was 10 in the last month. So i was wondering, in your area do you have alot of emo's and do you have alot people emo's or normal people kill them selfs?

RE: emo by vaccination on 04-22-2007 at 08:48 AM

We have a good number of emo's here, but not many kill themselves(many do the whole slit wrist thing though ;p), maybe you just live in a dodgy area 8-) :P

RE: RE: emo by Discrate on 04-22-2007 at 08:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
We have a good number of emo's here, but not many kill themselves(many do the whole slit wrist thing though ;p), maybe you just live in a dodgy area 8-) :P

My area isnt really dodgy. It has low crime and heaps of familys, but people just get really depressed and kill them selfs.
RE: emo by ryxdp on 04-22-2007 at 09:00 AM

Maybe they get depressed because your area is so boring :P

Anyways:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=810978]

RE: emo by andrewdodd13 on 04-22-2007 at 10:59 AM

There are a lot of "emo" people here, but there are probably more neds in my school, at least until you reach 5th year. I'm actually surprised by this (since the neds give the emos so much abuse), but I don't think we've had anyone actually (properly) try to kill themselves here in ages.

Of course, the number of emos slitting their wrists laterally (instead of up and down) for show is quite high.

RE: emo by prashker on 04-22-2007 at 03:03 PM

My story is better than yours.

One of my friends went on a public bus, and was listening to some music.

He was wearing black clothes and had some black+purple highlights hair (he changes it like every week :P). There was some woman in the bus staring at him. A few minutes later the woman tapped his arm and gave him the note. And she got off the bus. The note said "Hey, I see you are a cutter, I was too, don't worry, you'll make it."

made me laugh :D.

RE: emo by Eddie on 04-22-2007 at 03:10 PM

lol Sam, theres heaps of "Emo" style ppl here, not many do the whole cutting wrists stuff they just like the "fashion" if you want to call it that :\

RE: emo by haydos on 04-22-2007 at 03:17 PM

Yeah, I think emo has become more of a fashion style rather than a full on 'culture'. A lot of people are just dressing in a more emo style, and are still pretty much 'normal'.

RE: emo by Fuse on 04-22-2007 at 03:18 PM

where i live emos are turning into chav.. there like 'scene kids' .. but there i still a fine line between the 2 (emo and scene kid)..there are alot of emos are around..i think it's customary for everyone to go through an emo phase..(well here it is)..then they get over themselves..but some stick..

RE: emo by Voldemort on 04-22-2007 at 04:22 PM

emo != suicidal.

RE: emo by Dr4g0n on 04-22-2007 at 04:55 PM

Suicide rate of Emos is no higher than the 'regular' suicide rate, read it in a study a month or so back.. Wish I could find it again. =[

RE: emo by andrewdodd13 on 04-22-2007 at 06:13 PM

In reality... (and I mean, reality beneath what MTV and the like will tell you)... emo is Emotive Metal - bands like Rites of Spring (and crap like that :p). Emo used to be a term that people would call you if you were a loser.

Kids with white bags with multi-coloured dots that listen to Taking Back Sunday or Panic! At The Disco are not emo. Unless they are Korean*, female and have a sibling who has a child.

Bootnote: I usually use the term to describe the kids who go about thinking "omg I have so many problems, no one loves me", like everyone else, because that's what they understand. My previous post still applies if you take this into consideration. :p

* Emo is the rough approximation of how to say "Aunt" in Korean, apparently.

RE: emo by vaccination on 04-22-2007 at 06:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13

Kids with white bags with multi-coloured dots that listen to Taking Back Sunday or Panic! At The Disco are not emo.

exactly, TBS and PATD suck ass.
RE: emo by prashker on 04-22-2007 at 06:18 PM

NP: Akon - Don't Matter [00:01/04:52] [|----------]

Crap this is not Testing and Trashing (a).

Anyways, emo people are people too :cry:!

RE: emo by Dr4g0n on 04-22-2007 at 06:19 PM

Emo is actually Punk-rock based. But you're right about Taking Back Sunday and Panic! At The Disco not being emo.

RE: emo by Rolando on 04-22-2007 at 06:47 PM

There's no emos in the area where I live :)

RE: emo by FrozenDaggers on 04-22-2007 at 08:19 PM

People are stupid. Why kill yourself? Bloody stupid. AND selfish. Urgh.

This thread has REALLY annoyed me, and I'm not too sure why. It's a mix between the judgement people have of 'emos' & the fact they think people kill themselfs/cut themselves over SFA.

lol, this has annoyed me more than I expected it to.

Oh & 'chavs' commit suicide too. But people look at it differently if it's a chav. Emo = omg attention. Chav = real problems.

lol. STUPID.

RE: emo by Steven on 04-22-2007 at 08:34 PM

People often confuse the word emo with goth, which is more extreme. There are also wanna be emos that just paint there wrists red. Yeah my school is pretty weird !

RE: emo by vaccination on 04-22-2007 at 08:39 PM

paint their wrists red? haha that's lame. - That, IMO, must be for attention.

Emo's aren't just people that sit around all day thinking about death and being all unhappy.

I dunno if I'm emo or not but a few of my friends are, I would say.

But we tend to go out and have a good time, pretty much laughing non-stop.

RE: emo by marissa on 04-22-2007 at 08:42 PM

whys it so bad to be emotional these days? :\
anyway, i dont think this thread is about "emos"?

i think it'sabout people killing themselves.
the last case i heard about people killing themselves was because their dog died.

RE: emo by Pinchichuv on 04-22-2007 at 09:11 PM

in the area ehre i live they arent a lot of emo kids they're more preepy emo kids so i havent heard nothing about suicides and things like that

RE: emo by Voldemort on 04-23-2007 at 01:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by marissa
anyway, i dont think this thread is about "emos"?

no.
It is actually about the lameness of stereotypes.
RE: emo by Discrate on 04-23-2007 at 08:51 AM

If anyone lives in melbourne australia you would of seen a thing about the people on channel 10 and 7 news and had a thing about them on todaytonight. Everyone is blaming the the "emo" culture for there death.

RE: emo by joey on 04-23-2007 at 09:13 AM

most emo's dont cut themselves, or hang themselves or cry themselves to sleep everynight, it's just that the ones that do, make everyone think that all the other emo's do too.(if that makes sense...)

and it pisses me off that just because i happen to have long hair and like listening to loud, scary, music that worships satan and all that sha-bang, people call me an emo.

its only a style of fucking music for fuck's sake!...that got taken too far, and now causes teens (it's always the teenagers...) to top themselves....

* joey goes back to his cave, and puts on some loud, scary music that worships satan

RE: emo by Underlord on 04-23-2007 at 10:39 AM

Phillip is emo. :chrongue:

And leave it to Today Tonight to blow the emo topic way out of proportion. http://au.todaytonight.yahoo.com/article/39113/li...yle/emo-subculture

RE: RE: emo by Discrate on 04-23-2007 at 10:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Damokun
quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
If anyone lives in melbourne australia you would of seen a thing about the people on channel 10 and 7 news and had a thing about them on todaytonight. Everyone is blaming the the "emo" culture for there death.
Mmm that was just on the news, ticked me off looking at it -.-'

I go to there high  school. I have been hearing about it for the last 2 days nonstop.

quote:
Originally posted by Underlord
Phillip is emo. :chrongue:

And leave it to Today Tonight to blow the emo topic way out of proportion. http://au.todaytonight.yahoo.com/article/39113/li...yle/emo-subculture

Yer they did blow it out of proprtion, but some of the things they said was true. I have the 2 girls myspace and before they killed them selfs they sent out a message to ever yone saying goodbye.
RE: emo by vaccination on 04-23-2007 at 02:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ICD

and it pisses me off that just because i happen to have long hair and like listening to loud, scary, music that worships satan and all that sha-bang, people call me an emo.

Exactly ;<

RE: emo by aNILEator on 04-23-2007 at 02:58 PM

should listen to REAL metal music and not have the hair combed over your face then :P

the emo's around here are soooo annoying, always complaining and getting drunk in public parks etc then falling into each other moaning about life.

The worst thing is they're all like 12-16 and somehow all know me (I guess they just noticed me around the local clubs and school from a few years ago) and they all think I'm their friend when i will (and have) gladly punch them in the face for being arrogant little whining etc etc etc's!

Some people are just soooo depressed over stupid things aswell  and it's not because of lack of friends or anything or money they have no concept of gratitude or appreciation, on occasion around college I'll hold a door open for someone or give up my seat on a bus etc (even though i really need it more with my back) and i get no thanks not even a slight smile or nod of their head .

Some can be ok and funny but the majority just piss me off immensely

RE: emo by Dr4g0n on 04-23-2007 at 04:59 PM

Phillip's post is the only correct definition I've read in a long time.

People need to learn.

RE: emo by nightwolf07 on 04-23-2007 at 07:24 PM

Personally I find it stupid to align emo with suicide.

You'll find alot more deaths concerning other ''stereotypes'' who hang or consider other means of ending their life.

I find myself surrounded by alot of emo people, and most are extremely happy with their lives.

I myself have been called emo and I have no wish to end my on life. Far from it infact.

It's all about the person, not the clothes they wear or the music they listen too.

Its harsh to judge someone on what they wear and what they listen to, just because of a few. They may find you also annoying and irratating because of your long hair and rock music, or your trackies and gold rings.

It's all about the personality and then you can judge that person to be nice or not. (Y)

RE: emo by aNILEator on 04-23-2007 at 11:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dr4g0n
Phillip's post is the only correct definition I've read in a long time.

People need to learn.

doesn't matter what it's original meaning was, the masses have chosen! thus no matter how much you try to 'correct' it won't sink in.

in my opinion music quality has declined dramatically and has far too many stupid names and sub genres now :(
RE: RE: emo by nightwolf07 on 04-24-2007 at 12:59 PM

quote:
in my opinion music quality has declined dramatically and has far too many stupid names and sub genres now :(

True enough, people ask me what music I listen to and I'm never sure what song is what genre! :S
RE: emo by vaccination on 04-24-2007 at 03:17 PM

Yeah, I would say Death Metal for most of my music, but Nile would totally disagree with me :P

But I just have no idea what else to call it. - and it's not crap ¬_¬

RE: emo by nightwolf07 on 04-24-2007 at 03:38 PM

I'd probably say most of mines either rock, indie or emo..

though i do tend to vary from those to pop and stuff.