Shoutbox

Anzac day! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Anzac day! (/showthread.php?tid=73890)

Anzac day! by Discrate on 04-24-2007 at 10:39 PM

HAPPY ANZAC DAY! i went to the dawn service in melbourne at 6 am there were 30,00 people there!

RE: Anzac day! by ryxdp on 04-24-2007 at 11:16 PM

Not a whole lot of people here are Aussie or kiwi :P

I am though :cheesy: I'm spending ANZAC day at my friends house :chrongue:

RE: RE: Anzac day! by Discrate on 04-24-2007 at 11:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ryxpia
Not a whole lot of people here are Aussie or kiwi :P

I am though :cheesy: I'm spending ANZAC day at my friends house :chrongue:

Cool, i just had a BBQ :D
RE: Anzac day! by ryxdp on 04-24-2007 at 11:42 PM

uhh...Aussie slang...? :dodgy:

:P

EDIT: Better change that Discrate...:)

RE: Anzac day! by NanaFreak on 04-24-2007 at 11:46 PM

:) Happy ANZAC Day :)

RE: Anzac day! by Hank on 04-25-2007 at 12:11 AM

hmm,, just wondering, why would it be ' happy Anzac day '  when plenty of Soldiers were killed fighting

RE: Anzac day! by Lou on 04-25-2007 at 01:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
hmm,, just wondering, why would it be ' happy Anzac day '  when plenty of Soldiers were killed fighting
I agree, and so does wikipedia:

quote:
New Zealand commemorate the ANZAC Day holiday on 25 April every year to remember members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who landed at Gallipoli in Turkey during World War I. ANZAC Day is also a public holiday in Cook Islands, Niue, Samoa and Tonga.
So really, you're rather disrespecting all of this. Being Canadian I did not know about this Holiday, but all the same, I think this is simply stupid. If you're saying happy "Think about people who died" day, you're an idiot.

If that's not what your meaning was, please, explain yourself LOADS more clearly.
RE: Anzac day! by ryxdp on 04-25-2007 at 02:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
If you're saying happy "Think about people who died" day, you're an idiot.

A lot of elderly people (most important to note in this argument, I say) say "happy". Though I too, think that it would be stupid to say "Sad ANZAC day" or "Merry ANZAC day", let alone "Happy ANZAC Day". But what else do we have instead?

AFAIK, we are celebrating the freedom of the Australian and New Zealand-ish* people and/or country.

On other tones, though, ANZAC day is a rather sad as well as happy time, for obvious reasons.

*Kinda speaks for itself. I dunno what they're called, even though my dad is a kiwi...:'<
RE: Anzac day! by prashker on 04-25-2007 at 02:17 AM

quote:
happy "Think about people who died" day

(y).

No idea what it is, but ok :D. Happy Anzac day :p.
RE: RE: Anzac day! by Discrate on 04-25-2007 at 02:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ryxpia
quote:
If you're saying happy "Think about people who died" day, you're an idiot.

A lot of elderly people (most important to note in this argument, I say) say "happy". Though I too, think that it would be stupid to say "Sad ANZAC day" or "Merry ANZAC day", let alone "Happy ANZAC Day". But what else do we have instead?

AFAIK, we are celebrating the freedom of the Australian and New Zealand-ish* people and/or country.

On other tones, though, ANZAC day is a rather sad as well as happy time, for obvious reasons.

*Kinda speaks for itself. I dunno what they're called, even though my dad is a kiwi...:'<

I agree with that.

quote:
So really, you're rather disrespecting all of this. Being Canadian I did not know about this Holiday, but all the same, I think this is simply stupid. If you're saying So really, you're rather disrespecting all of this. Being Canadian I did not know about this Holiday, but all the same, I think this is simply stupid. If you're saying happy "Think about people who died" day, you're an idiot.

If that's not what your meaning was, please, explain yourself LOADS more clearly.

Heaps of people say happy Anzac day. Including my grandfather who fought in the war.  Happy Anzac Day doesnt mean happy "Think about people who died" day. Anzac day is a day where we remember the people who fought for us in the war and who gave up so much to make sure australia remained free. Also people who were in the war or had a friend/relation go visit there fellow soliders at there grave site. Which is "happy" in a king odd way, becuase they are visiting there old mates again. Also the Anzacs who are still alive have a honour parade. So it isnt just to think about the dead, we have Remembrance Day  for that. People not from australia might not understand what i am talking about, but any australian sure would. And you said your self, you are from canada  you wouldnt have a clue what its about. And i think you went too far when you said i am disrespecting them and i am offended.

RE: Anzac day! by prashker on 04-25-2007 at 03:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
And i think you went too far when you said i am disrespecting them.

Well, I am sure he did not mean to do it, Lou is just being his normal french self doing the responsible thing (that'a boy :))

Happy Anzac Day :).
RE: Anzac day! by kittymew on 04-25-2007 at 07:32 AM

"lest we forget "

RE: Anzac day! by Phillip on 04-25-2007 at 12:22 PM

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep,
though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Lest we forget <3

RE: Anzac day! by RaPLeX on 04-25-2007 at 06:22 PM

http://www.burasicanakkale.com/burasicanakkale/sa...ANZAC/anzacday.htm

Some pics from Canakkale (Gallipoli) about anzac day.

P.s. : My mom's father was dead on Gallipoli.. There is my bornplace.

RE: Anzac day! by Yawn Im Tired on 04-26-2007 at 02:19 AM

Hope everyone had a good day, especially if you made it out early in the morning and remember the people that gave us what we have today. :)

RE: Anzac day! by Eddie on 04-26-2007 at 08:55 AM

We had a big thing at school today for ANZAC Day, considering we had the day off yesterday, was interesting, but the same every year :\

RE: Anzac day! by Felu on 04-26-2007 at 10:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam

RE: Anzac day! by NanaFreak on 04-26-2007 at 10:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
We had a big thing at school today for ANZAC Day, considering we had the day off yesterday, was interesting, but the same every year :\
we do ours before ANZAC day =\

Felu, SonicSam, and that do you guys/girls know what ANZAC means? (without searching for it 8-))
RE: Anzac day! by Felu on 04-26-2007 at 10:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
Felu, SonicSam, and that do you guys/girls know what ANZAC means?
no i don't :P
RE: RE: Anzac day! by Discrate on 04-26-2007 at 10:57 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
we do ours before ANZAC day =\

Felu, SonicSam, and that do you guys/girls know what ANZAC means? (without searching for it 8-))

They wouldnt know, they are from another country.
RE: Anzac day! by RaPLeX on 04-26-2007 at 11:05 AM

i know what anzac means more than others,cuz im from Turkey.And we are every year learn this (World wars,independence war,) on schools..

RE: Anzac day! by prashker on 04-26-2007 at 11:14 AM

quote:
, SonicSam, and that do you guys/girls know what ANZAC means? (without searching for it (Smilie))

quote:
Originally posted by Felu
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam