Shoutbox

Fake Messenger Plus! Live site - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site (/showthread.php?tid=73911)

Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by Chrono on 04-25-2007 at 03:53 PM

i just got an email from a spanish user, im gonna translate the important part to you:

quote:
i'm writting to you cause something weird has happened and i coulnt find a place where to contact the developer in their website.

When i was searching for Messenger Plus! so i could reinstall it, i found this site:

http://www.messengerplus.ms/

i didnt notice it wasnt the official site (cause it's pretty similar) so i started downloading the software. When i wanted to install it, a window poped up asking me to send a text message so they could send me back a code to install it.

i'm letting Patchou know about this thread right now :P.

They copy and pasted text from the website and used the same images to fool people out :S

[Image: attachment.php?pid=811818]

RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by albert on 04-25-2007 at 04:06 PM

Shouldn't this be in private forums?
I think it'll just sprend the site if it's public.

RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by Menthix on 04-25-2007 at 04:10 PM

Earn 1.20 euro per install of free software you didn't make :(. The guy could just stick to Firefox+toolbar referrals.

EDIT: Chromo, mailed Patchou? He will probably get the CiD lawyers on his ass :p.

RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by vikke on 04-25-2007 at 06:51 PM

This is terrible! How can anyone do this?

Edit: I found the email to the author I think, soporte@descargas.de. Note that the site is spanish but the email is from DE.

RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by Rolando on 04-25-2007 at 06:52 PM

Hope this gets closed soon :)

RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by Chrono on 04-25-2007 at 07:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vikke
Note that the site is spanish but the email is from DE.
but descargas means downloads in spanish :P
quote:
Originally posted by q25
Hope this gets closed soon 
O.o
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Chromo, mailed Patchou?
yeah
RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by Voldemort on 04-25-2007 at 07:12 PM

whois info
messengerplus.ms is registered.

Domain Name:               messengerplus.ms

Registrant, Technical Contact, Admin. Contact
  Edgardo Eloy
  Netlink Investments, S.A., Nueva direccion, 43567 Panama
  Panama
  E-mail:                  tlds@rrpproxy.net
  Phone:                   507.6022646561
  Fax:                     507.111111

Billing Contact
  Key Systems GmbH
  Prager Ring 4-12, 66482 Zweibruken
  Germany
  E-mail:                  tlds@rrpproxy.net
  Phone:                   +49 6332 79 18 50
  Fax:                     +49 6332 79 18 51

Resource Records (2):
                           ns      ns0.namenames.info     
                           ns      ns1.namenames.info   

For those curious about .ms:
http://www.issociate.de/domain_eng_ms_Montserrat.php
a bette whois:
http://www.adamsnames.ms/whois/?domain=messengerplus.ms

RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by Yawn Im Tired on 04-26-2007 at 02:11 AM

me thinks he'll get into some trouble :P

RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by Felu on 04-26-2007 at 10:11 AM

The guy doesn't know how big trouble he can get into this way. Patchou can sue him if he wants to :P.

RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by Rolando on 04-26-2007 at 11:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Felu
The guy doesn't know how big trouble he can get into this way. Patchou can sue him if he wants to :P.

I'm sure he will

RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by prashker on 04-26-2007 at 11:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by q25
quote:
Originally posted by Felu

I'm sure he will

Not that he needs the money (a).
RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by Rolando on 04-26-2007 at 11:47 AM

I don't think the guy will get in trouble though, since its in Panama. I know, I know, its illegal anyways... but if it was in Venezuela nobody would care. The max. they'll do is shut down the website, I think.

RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by markee on 04-26-2007 at 01:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
Need I say and more than the word "copyright"?  Music companies have a lot of money, but they are willing to sue individuals for just downloading music from the internet.  If Patchou allows this one time for someone to do such a thing then it allows precedent for it to continue.
RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by absorbation on 04-26-2007 at 05:16 PM

I doubt Patchou would sue him guys. However he may get the website shut down. Nevertheless I doubt many people would actually install the program, a main problem is that it is limited to users who know Spanish, and the quality of the website is extremely poor, you would be rather foolish not to see it as a con :P.

RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by CookieRevised on 04-27-2007 at 02:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
I doubt Patchou would sue him guys. However he may get the website shut down. Nevertheless I doubt many people would actually install the program, a main problem is that it is limited to users who know Spanish, and the quality of the website is extremely poor, you would be rather foolish not to see it as a con :P.
If you don't know the real official site, people would see it as legit. Don't forget we all know Plus! inside-out and can spot a fake from 10 miles away with our eyes closed... But people who are new to Messenger and Plus! will not see the difference...

This site should be put down indeed...

quote:
Originally posted by markee
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
Need I say and more than the word "copyright"?  Music companies have a lot of money, but they are willing to sue individuals for just downloading music from the internet.  If Patchou allows this one time for someone to do such a thing then it allows precedent for it to continue.
Patchou will not allow it for sure, but that doesn't mean he immediatly will sue the guy, he will try to reason with them first....
RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by felipEx on 04-27-2007 at 06:23 AM

i read the original post too. it's not unique, there are more apps with this installer...    * que poca madre!

RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by John Anderton on 04-27-2007 at 06:28 AM

Is it just me or does something dodgy like this come up every alternate year or so? :P

RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by Patchou on 04-28-2007 at 04:30 AM

Thanks for the report. I've been working on this case since the beginning of the month. It'S pretty difficult to get them but it's progressing.

RE: RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by vikke on 04-28-2007 at 07:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Thanks for the report. I've been working on this case since the beginning of the month. It'S pretty difficult to get them but it's progressing.

Get them = Sue or shutdown? :-)
RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by joey on 04-28-2007 at 07:13 AM

someone just hack them! :P

RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by Nathan on 04-28-2007 at 07:27 AM

Shawnz....

RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by GiantSpider on 04-28-2007 at 11:36 AM

Yeah, why doesn't someone just, speed the procedings up a tad.......

RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by Steel Froggy on 05-03-2007 at 04:53 AM

haha, if you hacked them that'd be just as bad... (a)

RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by absorbation on 05-03-2007 at 07:44 PM

I hope you realise you just can't 'hack' something if it does not have a vulnerability. I can't see anything that you could use against this website to 'hack' them. Plus it is not right resorting to immature behaviour. The world is turning to a place where suing people is the common thing :P.

RE: RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by Steel Froggy on 05-03-2007 at 11:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
I hope you realise you just can't 'hack' something if it does not have a vulnerability. I can't see anything that you could use against this website to 'hack' them. Plus it is not right resorting to immature behaviour. The world is turning to a place where suing people is the common thing :P.

I know I know. lol

Someone else suggested it on a previous page.
RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by Hank on 05-04-2007 at 01:39 AM

get Bin Laden to Bomb it :refuck:

RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by lizard.boy on 05-04-2007 at 02:05 AM

Whats all this talk of suing? Why should Patchou think, "hey, he ripped me off? LETS SUE!" Thats sooo an American thing... :chrongue:

RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by NiteMare on 05-04-2007 at 03:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
Whats all this talk of suing? Why should Patchou think, "hey, he ripped me off? LETS SUE!" Thats sooo an American thing... :chrongue:
well its what you have to do, its copyright infringment, if you don't stop, you press charges, and sue
RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by Hank on 05-04-2007 at 03:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare

well its what you have to do, its copyright infringment, if you don't stop, you press charges, and sue
doesn't always help sue'ing someone, at the end of the day if patchou were to do that, all he'd be doing is feeding the lawyers to fight his battles, so to save money its best to try an work it out
RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by NiteMare on 05-04-2007 at 03:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
quote:

doesn't always help sue'ing someone, at the end of the day if patchou were to do that, all he'd be doing is feeding the lawyers to fight his battles, so to save money its best to try an work it out
not everybody will listen to you, thats when you sue, not only will the court order the site shut down, but they could also get jail time
RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by Voldemort on 05-04-2007 at 03:16 AM

oh, it's certainly going to be their nightmare

RE: RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by rav0 on 05-04-2007 at 08:18 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
quote:

not everybody will listen to you, thats when you sue, not only will the court order the site shut down, but they could also get jail time

People don't get jail time from being sued (civil case, no imprisonment). Also, to sue, Patchou would have to go to the country of the website operator. They could possibly get reported for fraud though (I'm not sure exactly what that 1.20 euro thing was).

Nice website though.
RE: Fake Messenger Plus! Live site by Hank on 05-04-2007 at 12:58 PM

quote:
so are you saying patchou should throw thousands of money at a lawyer an get this site shut down .