Shoutbox

Suggestion: AutoLock after 6months of thread creation. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Suggestion: AutoLock after 6months of thread creation. (/showthread.php?tid=73920)

Suggestion: AutoLock after 6months of thread creation. by prashker on 04-25-2007 at 09:04 PM

As said here.

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=73...d=811893#pid811893

I say maybe after 6months of thread inactivity, the thread should be auto locked :P.

Just a suggestion (a).

RE: Suggestion: AutoLock after 6months of thread creation. by Lou on 04-25-2007 at 09:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
As said here.

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=73...d=811893#pid811893

I say maybe after 6months of thread inactivity, the thread should be auto locked :P.

Just a suggestion (a).
But then, everyone is always told to search before posting. This will make for a lot of confusion.
RE: Suggestion: AutoLock after 6months of thread creation. by prashker on 04-25-2007 at 09:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
But then, everyone is always told to search before posting. This will make for a lot of confusion.

But wouldnt you think it would be better :S?

Plus, in 6 months im sure the issue would be gone, maybe extend to 1 year :p?
RE: Suggestion: AutoLock after 6months of thread creation. by Lou on 04-25-2007 at 09:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
quote:

But wouldnt you think it would be better :S?

Plus, in 6 months im sure the issue would be gone, maybe extend to 1 year :p?
That's reasonable imo. However, 6 months isn't, because it very well could be about such things that are still relevant. Besides, you can always go through threads, if you see a really old one (whether it's been bumped or not) that's no longer relevant, report it.

Edit: And if things are auto locked, there should be an auto post that says so.
RE: RE: Suggestion: AutoLock after 6months of thread creation. by Aeryn on 04-25-2007 at 09:17 PM

quote:
Edit: And if things are auto locked, there should be an auto post that says so.

Which would bump the old thread on the front page...
RE: Suggestion: AutoLock after 6months of thread creation. by Lou on 04-25-2007 at 09:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Haz
Which would bump the old thread on the front page...
I didn't think of that. Maybe just a message that says so, where the quick reply box usually is and at the top of the thread.
RE: Suggestion: AutoLock after 6months of thread creation. by andrey on 04-25-2007 at 09:19 PM

I don't think we need that.. really old threads aren't bumped that often, it's not like the mods/admins can't handle it

RE: Suggestion: AutoLock after 6months of thread creation. by kao on 04-25-2007 at 09:24 PM

Like andrey said, it doesn't happen often enough tbh.

RE: Suggestion: AutoLock after 6months of thread creation. by prashker on 04-25-2007 at 09:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrey
I don't think we need that.. really old threads aren't bumped that often, it's not like the mods/admins can't handle it

Fair enough :p.

Just another random train of though in my small brain :).
RE: Suggestion: AutoLock after 6months of thread creation. by WDZ on 04-25-2007 at 09:36 PM

quote:
But then, everyone is always told to search before posting.
In most cases, isn't that so they can find the info they need and avoid posting altogether? :P

A couple months ago I closed all the oldest threads in GCC to prevent them from being bumped, and I could certainly do the same for other forums if necessary... *-)

6 months is definitely too short though, IMO. I think it should be at least a year.

quote:
Yep, I agree, there's not much of a reason to do it at the moment.
RE: Suggestion: AutoLock after 6months of thread creation. by Rolando on 04-25-2007 at 09:42 PM

quote:

RE: Suggestion: AutoLock after 6months of thread creation. by CookieRevised on 04-25-2007 at 11:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by q25
quote:

And, some old threads (although not that many, especially compared to the total maount of threads) are still updated, can be updated, or some posts are edited with new info...

Auto-locking (no matter what time-limit) is not a good idea IMHO (unless there are constantly old threads being bumped, but this isn't the case at all).

As for that post which triggered this suggestion, here is my reply:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=73...d=811913#pid811913