Shoutbox

Pagefile Recommendation - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Pagefile Recommendation (/showthread.php?tid=74047)

Pagefile Recommendation by hiqbal on 04-30-2007 at 12:28 PM

Dear Friends,

I recently upgraded RAM to 1 GB in my HP Pavilion ze4900 notebook. It has a CENTRINO 1.5GHz Intel processor and 30 GB Hard disk. 32MB shared RAM is for video.

Can anyone recommend what should be the page file size (minimum & maximum) for best settings.

I work on applications such as Microsoft Outlook, Word, Adobe Acrobat, Firefox and MSN messenger. All open at the same time mostly.

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,

RE: Pagefile Recommendation by -dt- on 04-30-2007 at 12:37 PM

just set it to auto, that always works well =p

RE: Pagefile Recommendation by Verte on 05-01-2007 at 12:38 AM

The default settings should do. FireFox doesn't keep a "temporary internet files" directory, it keeps all this in ram, so if you like to keep your firefox open for weeks on youtube, some page file would be advisable, not that I've ever had firefox go over 300mb. By the way, if you set your page file too small, Windows will just increase it. You can even turn paging off if you like.

RE: Pagefile Recommendation by MeEtc on 05-01-2007 at 12:52 AM

A very good rule of thumb is to set the pagefile to 1.5 times the amount of RAM you have installed, and set the min and max to be equal. reason? so it does not become fragmented.

This doesn't apply if you have a very small amount off RAM (like me :P),  the size should be doubled instead.