Shoutbox

slash symbol in file properties - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: slash symbol in file properties (/showthread.php?tid=74105)

slash symbol in file properties by shrav/oo7` on 05-02-2007 at 11:54 AM

hey guys,

this may sound like a stupid question but i was just wondering wether you could put a slash symbol (/) in the file property. for example i have a song by AC/DC and i wanted to put AC/DC in the artist property of the file but it wouldn't show the slash, it would show AC in the arist name and when i deleted the AC the DC showed up and when i deleted the DC the artist property was just blank.

P.S. by file property i mean when you right click a file and click properties go to the summary tab and click advanced.

if any1 could reply to this i would be grateful, its a small thing but it's been annoying for a while.

RE: slash symbol in file properties by High Speed Chaser on 05-02-2007 at 12:26 PM

I think you can put a / in summary but I don't think that would change the artist's name to AC/DC where you want it to say AC/DC. Then again I'm not that good with some aspects of computers.

RE: slash symbol in file properties by WDZ on 05-02-2007 at 09:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by shrav/oo7`
this may sound like a stupid question but i was just wondering wether you could put a slash symbol (/) in the file property.
You should be able to, but I just tried it and it didn't work... :dodgy:

[Image: 9fmqy77k-acdc_bug.gif]

Seems like a bug in Windows.
RE: slash symbol in file properties by Steel Froggy on 05-03-2007 at 06:10 AM

You could always do AC-DC...

It's not a bug, it's because it thinks you're writing it into a file path.
It thinks your trying to save it into C:/MyDocuments/Music/AC/DC or whatever. See what I mean?

RE: slash symbol in file properties by NanaFreak on 05-03-2007 at 06:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Steel Froggy
It thinks your trying to save it into C:/MyDocuments/Music/AC/DC or whatever. See what I mean?
it would be:
C:\My Documents\Music\AC/DC
8-)
RE: slash symbol in file properties by WDZ on 05-03-2007 at 06:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Steel Froggy
It's not a bug, it's because it thinks you're writing it into a file path.
Why the heck would it think that? :p This thread is about the Artist property, not the filename.

Strangely enough, a backslash (the directory separator character in Windows) works fine. O_o
RE: slash symbol in file properties by Steel Froggy on 05-03-2007 at 06:41 AM

Weird... a backslash works?
Never tried it...

Good point though, I guess it'd qualify as a bug. :P

But ya, not being able to put /'s in filenames can get pretty annoying. lol

RE: slash symbol in file properties by CookieRevised on 05-03-2007 at 10:02 AM

Note that this is only for MP3s, other media files accept and show the slash perfectly (eg: WMA).

The bug happens when applying the changes to an mp3 file.

So when you read out the properties again, the bug has already happened. Aka: if the slash is there already (saved with another program) the slash will show up fine.

When writing a slash it also doesn't remove the previous attempts you've made and writing some parts double, etc, making the actual internal property full of garbage (this can be checked by a program which edits/reads ID3 tags).

I think the point is: don't use Windows Explorer to edit ID3 tags. Use a dedicated program for that...

RE: slash symbol in file properties by shrav/oo7` on 05-03-2007 at 11:21 AM

whoa, thanks alot guys for your responses! WDZ's pictures are exactly what i mean. I'll search for a ID3 tag editor and tell you guys if i have any success, once again thanks for the help!

hey guys i downloaded a program called mp3tag from neowin its pretty good but i personally prefer to view my files in windows explorer my problem still wasn't solved but hey i can live without a slash:P. the mp3tag program still wouldn't make windows show AC/DC only ac. i use iTunes for my song library and it also has extensive song property functions which i think are good enough for me, once again thanks for all the fast responses and suggestion, much appreciated.
RE: slash symbol in file properties by Verte on 05-03-2007 at 02:47 PM

tried AC//DC? AC/DC? They would be my next attempt.

RE: slash symbol in file properties by CookieRevised on 05-03-2007 at 03:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Verte
tried AC//DC? AC/DC? They would be my next attempt.
That wont work. As said, it is a bug in Windows Explorer routine to write ID3 tags
RE: slash symbol in file properties by bolla on 05-11-2007 at 08:13 PM

I just found that it's possible (for me at least) to get the / in AC/DC to stick. This is how I did it.

I'm running XP pro SP2, using MP3 Tag Tools v1.2 found here (free): http://massid3lib.sourceforge.net/

It seems like XP is confused when both ID3v1.1 and ID3v2.x tags are used.

Artist "AC/DC" must be in the ID3v1.1 tag and cleared from the v2.x tag!! You can use just the 1.1-tag but then you loose lyrics and picture if you have them. The rest of the info works ok from the v2.x tag. You can have both, as long as they do not use the /.

If you later on write id3-tag-info from iTunes (and others?) this wil mess up your Artist info again in Windows XP Explorer. Guess iTunes copies the artist into the v2.x-tag.

Seems like the / in the v2.x-tag upsets Explorer. Other mp3-programs may be perfectly able to read this correct info, though.