Shoutbox

What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) (/showthread.php?tid=74155)

What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by segosa on 05-04-2007 at 03:03 PM

This is the first time an episode of Lost has made me want to actually discuss it. The episode I'm talking about is the one shown this week on American TV:

3x19 - After abandoning the Others, Locke takes Sawyer on a trek through the jungle to help him eliminate a common enemy. Meanwhile, back at the beach, the parachutist Naomi has crucial information about flight 815.

So really, now they're basically telling us that everyone on that island is dead and it's some form of afterlife? I remember reading a thread a long while back contemplating what might really be going on and someone said that perhaps they're all dead. I didn't think they'd have actually done that, because it would render everything that's happened there pointless, because, well, they're all DEAD.

Of course, maybe they're not dead. Maybe it's just a way of raising more questions. But I doubt it, after all, certain things seem to make sense now. Like why Locke can walk, why people are suddenly fertile when they're on the island, why... well, everything. But if they're actually dead, then what happens if they 'die' when they're dead?

Oh well, at least Lost is progressing. I was getting a bit annoyed by how slowly it was going.

RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by Volv on 05-04-2007 at 03:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by segosa
Of course, maybe they're not dead. Maybe it's just a way of raising more questions.
I personally think that they indeed are not dead. They want us to believe that they are by placing 'the parachutist Naomi' who was in a helicopter crash and by focusing on Locke who ofcourse the island has had the largest influence on - i think it's a bit of an easy way out by explaining it as an afterlife of some sort...

Locke's father says that he was in an ambulance (or something) and some guy started laughing and injected him with something and then he blacked out and the next thing he was on the island... Could he not have just been drugged and brought to the island by the 'others' for another purpose (you can never tell what the hell is going on in the heads of the 'others' :p - obviously it was somehow related to Locke, or even Sawyer?).

quote:
...certain things seem to make sense now. Like ... why people are suddenly fertile when they're on the island...
I don't understand how being dead makes you fertile, if anything it would make you infertile as it can't be possible to give birth to a living baby in the afterlife can it? But then again, maybe this is what the Others steal the mothers for - to kill the baby or something so they can be born into this world of dead people <-- seems like a stupid idea, but then again: hey! it's Lost.

quote:
Oh well, at least Lost is progressing.
I wouldn't count on it, knowing Lost this is probably the last they mention on the topic before something random comes out of nowhere to distract us from this.
RE: RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by segosa on 05-04-2007 at 04:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Volv

quote:
...certain things seem to make sense now. Like ... why people are suddenly fertile when they're on the island...
I don't understand how being dead makes you fertile, if anything it would make you infertile as it can't be possible to give birth to a living baby in the afterlife can it?

What I meant by that was, that by being dead anything can happen. Because the events of the island aren't really taking place, so to speak, you can easily be fertile because it's not really happening. It's the afterlife, it's "larger" than life, it's supernatural, or whatever. Dunno.
RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by M73A on 05-04-2007 at 04:27 PM

its a giant red herring if you ask me:P

RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by joey on 05-04-2007 at 04:35 PM

o.0   people still watch that?

RE: RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by segosa on 05-04-2007 at 05:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ICD
o.0   people still watch that?

Yes, great, you ask a question like that to basically say that you think it sucks.

Of course people watch it, else it would have been cancelled by now.
RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by andrewdodd13 on 05-04-2007 at 08:56 PM

I'm not sure. I read somewhere that they're not dead - the producers of the show said it themselves.

I had a theory about the bodies being recovered as some sort of cover-up, but then, they'dve just killed everyone on the crash if that was the case.

They're making 7 series, so it's only like 3 and a half years till we find out. :P

RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by saralk on 05-04-2007 at 09:03 PM

They are not dead, the idea of them being dead was brought up as a theory by the fans during series one, and was debunked by the creators.

Cooper probably thought that's what was going on, he says he was in a car crash, and the next thing he knew, he was on an Island. Just in the same way that everyone was knocked out when they crashed on the plane, the way that Juliette had to be knocked out to get to the Island, Naomi was unconcious when they found her, Desmond got knocked out and his first memory was being dragged to the hatch by Kelvin.

They claim that the plane wreckage was found, but DHARMA seems to be intent on keeping the Island a secret, so with all their money, it wouldn't be too hard to put a plane 4 miles underwater where they can't bring it to the surface of the water and only robotos can go and see it. So maybe it was just a way to stop the search for the survivors to uncover the island.

Also, Penny may have known the coordinates because she is the daughter of the owner of Widmore Industries, the same company who provided the pregnancy tests, and sponsored Henry Gale's balloon ride, so Widmore is obviously involved in some way, shape, or form.

RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by Chris4 on 05-05-2007 at 12:20 AM

* Chris4 misses Lost :sad:

* Chris4 shoots Virgin Media for not making a deal with Sky to keep Sky One, etc. :@

RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by Chrono on 05-05-2007 at 01:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Damokun
I thought it had only just been renewed for a fourth? O.o
you're right.
RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by saralk on 05-05-2007 at 09:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Damokun
quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
They're making 7 series, so it's only like 3 and a half years till we find out.
I thought it had only just been renewed for a fourth? O.o

they plan 7 series, but networks usually only commission one series at a time, so they don't hedge their bets, if season 4 does well, they'll commission season 5, and if 5 does well they'll commission 6 etc...
RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by paperless on 05-05-2007 at 12:13 PM

I think the producers clearly said some time ago that they ARE NOT dead.

Well..Locke is my favorite character.

He is going to join the others but just to get what he wants, i dont believe he will really start to make part of them.

He will probably work alone to achieve whichever objective he wants to achieve.

RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by Lourix on 05-05-2007 at 02:05 PM

I think Penny is a cool character, she has money and ambition, with that she can do anything. But I still want to find out how the woman knows Penny.

RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by saralk on 05-05-2007 at 02:11 PM

I want to know where all the copies of that picture came from, it was a polaroid that took the photo, and Desmond kept it, so where did Penny get the same photo to give to Naomi?

RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by Rik on 05-05-2007 at 03:12 PM

I'm curious how the russian guy came back to life, why the oracle knew that priest were desmond was and why didn't Naomi mention Michael or Walt, are they hiding? :S
Good to know though that we're going to know more about the DHARMA initiative.

quote:
Originally posted by Lourix
I think Penny is a cool character, she has money and ambition, with that she can do anything. But I still want to find out how the woman knows Penny.
if you haven't seen 3x19 dont read: she works for her

RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by Discrate on 05-05-2007 at 03:38 PM

Lost wont last 7 seasons. Everyone will get sick of it by then. People hate itwhen shows drag on for ages! 7 seasons is to long!

RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by absorbation on 05-05-2007 at 04:23 PM

They announced today there will be two more seasons :). All I can say is thank goodness, the writers can start tieing up all the loose ends. Remember everything has its day and it's best to end something on a high.

RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by Rik on 05-05-2007 at 06:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
Lost wont last 7 seasons. Everyone will get sick of it by then. People hate itwhen shows drag on for ages! 7 seasons is to long!
not me :zippy:
When they have a good plot and not like CSI, ER, Cold Case where it's always the same deal

I'm also hoping for more Lost Experiences xD
RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by surfichris on 05-06-2007 at 10:23 AM

quote:
So really, now they're basically telling us that everyone on that island is dead and it's some form of afterlife? I remember reading a thread a long while back contemplating what might really be going on and someone said that perhaps they're all dead. I didn't think they'd have actually done that, because it would render everything that's happened there pointless, because, well, they're all DEAD.
I don't believe they're all dead.

As has been pointed out here, DHARMA/the others are a powerful group of people who go to extreme lengths to get what they want and to keep the island hidden. They wanted the people on the plane for whatever reason and needed to not raise suspicion and stop any attempt for rescue by outside people (thus a cover up story of the plane at the bottom of the ocean - people would give up searching and not run the risk of being able to "find" the island)
RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by Pyroteq on 05-06-2007 at 10:37 AM

After all the shit that they have come up with, of which would be hard to explain i actually wouldn't be surprised if the outcome was, that it really is hell.
But i also doubt it, it was just another episode in a pointless series. they drag it on far too much.

RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by linx05 on 05-06-2007 at 10:54 AM

Lost will finish up in 2009.

RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by Rik on 05-11-2007 at 06:21 PM

[Spoiler]

OMG...I'm shocked, what the hell was that (3x20)?
I think Jacob doesn't like Ben very much...
And i'm not so sure about "good guys" any more.

RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by M73A on 05-11-2007 at 06:50 PM

theyre the hostiles!! :O:O:O

someone caputred pictures of jacob.. he flashed up like once or twice :| so hes not a fake parlour trick

erm, why locke, hes one of the ost interesting characters!?

RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by Rik on 05-11-2007 at 08:11 PM

[Image: jacob-revealed.jpg]
Just noticed:

[Image: 1X19_LockeCooperHunt.jpg]

JACOB is LOCKE :tongue:
It really seems :P

Jacob will help Locke =P

RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by M73A on 05-11-2007 at 10:32 PM

oooooooooooo good spot, heard about the theories but that picture is just so similar:O

RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by vikke on 05-11-2007 at 11:08 PM

I just saw 3x17 (yes, Sweden is slow!), and I found out something intresting. You know the high-tech mobile phone they found from the girl with the parachute?
If you pause and zooms in on it, there's a world map, and green circles pointing on a specific location. When I saw this, I find the coordinates for the point, they are: 42, 108, 32, 16 or something like that, can't remember exactly.
Offtopic:
I got to sleep, clock is 1.08. :)

RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by saralk on 05-12-2007 at 12:56 PM

Lost is getting really good, the amount of symbology and parallels with other books and things are amazing.

I also think that Locke isn't dead because he was shot where his kidney would've been, but obviously the kidney is not there anymore.

Or maybe, Eko's "you're next" prophecy was true; Nikki, Paulo, Desmond, Lock and Sayid were all around Eko, and so far 2 have definatly died, one maybe has died, and there is a massive showdown between the Losties and the Hostiles, so two more fatalities aren't beyond the realms of possibility.

RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by Chancer on 05-13-2007 at 02:06 AM

I've just watched 3x20...
do you really think they are dead or we are just supposed to belive it?

RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by Volv on 05-13-2007 at 02:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Rik
JACOB is LOCKE
It really seems

Jacob will help Locke =P
Whilst the image of Jacob does look quite like Locke, you'll notice that Jacob's hair is parted on the wrong side. Also, Jacob appears to have stubble on his chin as it is a different (more pale) colour than the rest of his face.
RE: RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by Vilkku on 05-13-2007 at 06:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by linx05
Lost will finish up in 2009.

Noes. (and that's what they said in the podcast)
RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by Chancer on 05-13-2007 at 02:48 PM

For ppl who watched 3x20:
Do you think Annie is Rousseau?
If yes, is Ben Alex's real father?

Rousseau looks older than Ben and Annie looks younger, but that's a possibility, dont you think?

RE: RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by vikke on 05-13-2007 at 03:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chancer
For ppl who watched 3x20:
Do you think Annie is Rousseau?
If yes, is Ben Alex's real father?

Rousseau looks older than Ben and Annie looks younger, but that's a possibility, dont you think?

No, actually I think Annie is Ms. Hawkings. They look really similar.
RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by Chancer on 05-13-2007 at 10:34 PM

Who is Ms. Hawkings?

RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by M73A on 05-13-2007 at 11:07 PM

YESS!!! LOCKE ISNT DEAD!!!!

..reportedly

he gets shot in the stomach, but ben sed in an interview, he has a medical condtion in his favour, because of something he lost a long time ago

NOT HAVING A KIDNEY MEANS NO INTERNAL BLEEDING OR WHATEVER WOOOO ^:o)

SPoiler ^^^

RE: RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by Vilkku on 05-14-2007 at 07:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chancer
Who is Ms. Hawkings?

I was wondering the same :P

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
he gets shot in the stomach, but ben sed in an interview, he has a medical condtion in his favour, because of something he lost a long time ago

No spoiling plz. I know it says spoilers in the subject, but we aren't talking about episodes that haven't aired :o
RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by Pyroteq on 05-14-2007 at 10:18 AM

Yeah i read a preview for an upcoming ep and it said someone you thought was dead returns.
I thought that whole episode was stupid, the guy you cant see i mean.. who are these writers they just keep making this more and more ridiculous

RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers) by M73A on 05-17-2007 at 09:30 AM

WOOWWWWW

poor charlie :( even though i really want him to make it, i can't see it happening :'-(

if anyone has read the info about the finale.. WOW SHOCKER.. if not, you're in for a good one if its correct:P

was that the saddest episode ever or what!

quote:
Originally posted by Pyroteq
Yeah i read a preview for an upcoming ep and it said someone you thought was dead returns.
I thought that whole episode was stupid, the guy you cant see i mean.. who are these writers they just keep making this more and more ridiculous
LOL you're not going to like what i read about the finale then!!