Shoutbox

kay, books to read - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: kay, books to read (/showthread.php?tid=74161)

kay, books to read by Voldemort on 05-04-2007 at 08:27 PM

kay, just did my hardest exam, so i don't really need to study and i need something to unbore myself....so, any book recommendations?

RE: kay, books to read by Nathan on 05-04-2007 at 08:28 PM

Fanctions.net

and read the HP book remixes there awesome some of them

RE: kay, books to read by Voldemort on 05-04-2007 at 08:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
Fanctions.net

read most of the good ones, and iirc, it's without the s :P
just finished a 689 hp fanfic a couple of days ago :p

RE: kay, books to read by blackjack on 05-04-2007 at 08:43 PM

Read.. erm..
Any book by Paulo Coelho

RE: kay, books to read by Nathan on 05-04-2007 at 08:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
Fanctions.net

read most of the good ones, and iirc, it's without the s :P
just finished a 689 hp fanfic a couple of days ago :p
Link.
RE: kay, books to read by andrewdodd13 on 05-04-2007 at 08:53 PM

Depends what you're into. Have you read Eragon and Eldest? Eragon is much better than the film - although it does draw a lot of parallels with Lord of the Rings.

I also like the Rebus series by Ian Rankin, but if you're not into crime you probably won't like them.

Michael Crichton also writes pretty good books - he wrote Jurassic Park, although his latest which I've nearly finished - Prey - is really good too. So is Timeline (I still haven't seen the film for that yet).

You could also do something contructive :p Like learn a new language or something.

RE: kay, books to read by Voldemort on 05-04-2007 at 09:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
I also like the Rebus series by Ian Rankin, but if you're not into crime you probably won't like them.
crime novels are awesome... :P
read a lot of them...
RE: kay, books to read by Lou on 05-04-2007 at 10:28 PM

I suggest the Jack Taylor series by Ken Bruen. I'm on the 4th book in the series, there are two more (I own the next one too, but it's sitting on the shelf until I finish this one). The first one is called "The Guards". It's crime based.

I fell upon the first book when I was going to Punta Cana two years ago. I wanted a book to read, so I went to the airport book store and bought this.

RE: kay, books to read by Voldemort on 05-04-2007 at 10:33 PM

what is it about :P?

RE: kay, books to read by lizard.boy on 05-05-2007 at 01:52 AM

Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy (Series). :D

RE: kay, books to read by Lou on 05-05-2007 at 02:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
what is it about :P?
An ex-cop who became an alcoholic and a private detective. It's very realistic and, quite out of the ordinary:)
RE: kay, books to read by Nagamasa on 05-05-2007 at 03:03 AM

Any book by Gordon Korman except the Dive trilogy.

My friends and I both like his books, and his books are throughout our school library

Perhaps refer to Your Favourite (Children's/Teen's) Reading Material.

RE: kay, books to read by Volv on 05-07-2007 at 06:40 AM

If you're into fantasy/scifi (weird genre combination but works really well) I suggest reading 'Magician' by Raymond E. Feist, it's a really interesting book and is written incredibly well - character development ++
Note: it's the first part of a trilogy but it is a complete story in itself (the sequels weren't planned until after publication).

RE: kay, books to read by Fuse on 05-07-2007 at 09:54 AM

Darren Shan books (especially the vampire saga) are my favourite books of all time :)

RE: kay, books to read by CookieRevised on 05-07-2007 at 10:35 AM

You want something unique, fiction, something which is not just 'a book with boring chapters and paragraphs (like we wood define 'a book')'.... try House of Leaves

You will start to doubt about fiction... is this really fiction? How come the book is riddled with references to other books, links on the net, old cults, etc....

see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Leaves
(even when reading that wiki article you will be confused as to what is real or not, what you need to believe or not)

You can read the book in anyway you want. In fact, you probably need to reread it several times, each time concentrating on a particular part (or parts) to et the whole picture.

The book is about a guy who discovers some written records written by a blind man (thus in braille) about a documentary film which is about a journalist who finds his house has some strange properties. The inner dimensions, for example, are larger than the outer ones. The house seems to grow, shrink, ... they discover a corridor behind a closet which, if measured, would extend a few meters out of the house... Read about other references talked about in the book (or is it a reference on itself?), look them up in your local library while reading the book..., try to find the other documentary short movie made by the wife's journalist for example, or by its friend.

The book contains not only boring long paragraphs like any other book (or do they really don't contain anything usefull?), but also contains small narrations, poetry, scientific explainations, side notes, photos, braille, mirrored writing, crossed out sections, things which shouldn't be read, etc. It is actually like a manuscript, or bunch of notes which needs to be put into a book, or not....

There are several editions of the book, each with its own added typography, which might explain more about what is actually written (or maybe not). I suggest you get your hands on the full color edition.

A book can't come more unique than this (and with that said, it isn't for everybody), imho....

http://www.amazon.com/House-Leaves-Remastered-Mar...wski/dp/0375420525

;)

RE: kay, books to read by Joe on 05-07-2007 at 04:33 PM

I once read a sweet book about a wizard. You may have heard of it.

Anyways, i think the last book I read and enjoyed was Holes. Quick read.