Shoutbox

Windows Explorer alternative (suggestions?) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Windows Explorer alternative (suggestions?) (/showthread.php?tid=74164)

Windows Explorer alternative (suggestions?) by Woraug on 05-04-2007 at 09:20 PM

I'm looking into getting a Windows Explorer alternative.  There's a few that seem to be pretty good, but I'm hoping you guys can give me some suggestions from experience.  They don't have to be freeware, I just want to know what's the best overall.

RE: Windows Explorer alternative (suggestions?) by Supersonicdarky on 05-04-2007 at 09:35 PM

total commander

i've been using it for years. never been disappointed.

RE: Windows Explorer alternative (suggestions?) by Woraug on 05-05-2007 at 03:13 AM

I'm looking for something to replace explorer.  So I can just open my documents like I normally do, and it uses the new explorer.

RE: RE: Windows Explorer alternative (suggestions?) by Verte on 05-05-2007 at 04:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Woraug
I'm looking for something to replace explorer.  So I can just open my documents like I normally do, and it uses the new explorer.

That shouldn't be too difficult. There's bound to be a registry entry somewhere to change that.

TC looks pretty nifty.

Just curious, why do you want to replace explorer anyway?
RE: Windows Explorer alternative (suggestions?) by Chrono on 05-05-2007 at 05:06 AM

lol that looks like a rip off of good old Norton Commander

i had that program on DOS :P

RE: Windows Explorer alternative (suggestions?) by Mike on 05-05-2007 at 06:26 AM

Directory Opus has an option of replacing Explorer, but I find it too feature-overloaded.

I still prefer the original explorer, but when I need to use an alternative, I use TC.

RE: Windows Explorer alternative (suggestions?) by linx05 on 05-05-2007 at 06:43 AM

I had been looking for an alternative for about a year. Pretty much, I just wanted Windows Explorer with tabs and a bit extra. I tried everything. Then after seeing a link to it in another forum I found QT TabBar. Quite simply it adds tabs to Windows Explorer with some extra options. SOOOO GOOD!

RE: Windows Explorer alternative (suggestions?) by Woraug on 05-06-2007 at 04:42 AM

I like that QT TabBar, it's quite useful (more so than what I was even looking for).  I have but one question.  How do I stop it from going back or forward two folders when I hit the back/forward button on my mouse?

RE: Windows Explorer alternative (suggestions?) by Adeptus on 05-06-2007 at 08:02 AM

5+ years ago, I used to use and like Ontrack PowerDesk file manager, which now seems to have become acquired by a company I've never heard of.  At the time, it seemed to offer a nice improvement over Explorer shell for $free -- I never bothered to purchase the "Pro" version.  I didn't stop using it for any cause regarding the program.  It just became something I eventually failed to reinstall after a format and discovered I was fine without. 

I've been meaning to see what has become of it all this time --  of course, as of a few days ago, I may have turned into a Macintosh user, as I've bought a MacBook to replace my stolen Windows laptop.  So far, I'm quite enjoying it.  :)

RE: Windows Explorer alternative (suggestions?) by saralk on 05-06-2007 at 09:05 AM

LiteStep is a pretty good complete windows shell replacement

RE: Windows Explorer alternative (suggestions?) by linx05 on 05-06-2007 at 09:45 AM

quote:
I like that QT TabBar, it's quite useful (more so than what I was even looking for).  I have but one question.  How do I stop it from going back or forward two folders when I hit the back/forward button on my mouse?
Not sure Woraug. Probably best asked to the author. I have removed the default back and forward buttons and am using the ones in the program. I think there is some bug with the way the default buttons connect with the program (which I am sure your mouse uses).
RE: Windows Explorer alternative (suggestions?) by Woraug on 05-06-2007 at 02:28 PM

No, my mouse buttons are set to web forward/backward in setpoint, which is sposed to be pretty much univeral back/forward buttons.

RE: Windows Explorer alternative (suggestions?) by Jhrono on 05-06-2007 at 02:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk

Pretty cool, but aparently you can't download it :(
RE: Windows Explorer alternative (suggestions?) by linx05 on 05-07-2007 at 11:37 AM

quote:
No, my mouse buttons are set to web forward/backward in setpoint, which is sposed to be pretty much univeral back/forward buttons.
I think that may be the problem. Try clicking backwards or forwards on the default buttons in Windows Explorer. It screws up. You will have to report the mouse bug to the author I'm afraid.
RE: Windows Explorer alternative (suggestions?) by esnupe on 05-07-2007 at 03:25 PM

The best replacement for WE is WinNc
http://www.winnc.com/?page=6906&switchLanguage=EN
It's really, really great, I've been using it for years. Remember Sidekick? Well this is much better, perfect integration with Windows. Shareware. Take a look.

RE: Windows Explorer alternative (suggestions?) by Thor on 05-07-2007 at 03:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jhrono
quote:

Anybody with an alternate download link? (a)

(Considering it is free, this isn't illegal :zippy:)
RE: RE: Windows Explorer alternative (suggestions?) by Chris4 on 05-07-2007 at 08:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nitro
quote:
Originally posted by Jhrono
quote:

Anybody with an alternate download link? (a)

(Considering it is free, this isn't illegal :zippy:)

:google:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements...TS-Installer.shtml

Also see: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Shell-Replacements/