Shoutbox

Error when trying to Share a Folder[Fixed] - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Error when trying to Share a Folder[Fixed] (/showthread.php?tid=74165)

Error when trying to Share a Folder[Fixed] by scott2010_h on 05-04-2007 at 10:29 PM

Earlier this week I was feeling adventurous and decided to setup a home network so I could share files between my computer easily. 8-| I had done it before at a friends before so I thought it would be just as painless. I was completely WRONG. :@ I set up the network using the wizard and and used a flash drive to put it on the other computers.

When I tried to share a folder in the root of my harddrive (not that it matters) it gave me : [Image: Error.png]

I dont know what to do :(

EDIT:
OS: Windows XP Home Edition ver. 5.1.2600 w/ service pack  2.0
Processor: Intel Celeron M processor 1.50GHz
Memory: 512 MB

Fixed By MeEtc
see below (if your lazy click the link):
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=74...d=814156#pid814156

RE: Error when trying to Share a Folder by MeEtc on 05-04-2007 at 10:54 PM

try this:
Start > Run > cmd
type in: net start server

to make sure the server service is always running when you need it, do this: Start > Run > services.msc
find 'server' on the list, and change its properties to Automatic start up

RE: Error when trying to Share a Folder by scott2010_h on 05-04-2007 at 11:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
try this:
Start > Run > cmd
type in: net start server
When I tried that it still didnt let me share my folder.
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
to make sure the server service is always running when you need it, do this: Start > Run > services.msc
find server on the list, and change its properties to Automatic start up
There is no service named server on my list. :(

I forgot to list my computer specs.(there in the first post now)
RE: Error when trying to Share a Folder by MeEtc on 05-04-2007 at 11:16 PM

You don't have the Server service? strange... That service is necessary for file sharing. Have you restarted the computer since you ran the netsetup wizard?

I remember I had many problems trying to do this back in my old Uni residence, I got it working eventually for everyone.

RE: Error when trying to Share a Folder by scott2010_h on 05-04-2007 at 11:29 PM

Yes Ive rebooted many times
Here is a list of my services

RE: Error when trying to Share a Folder by ryxdp on 05-04-2007 at 11:53 PM

Perhaps it's because you have XP Home? This OS, I imagine, as I have Pro, would not have so much "advanced" features as MS probably thought Home users would be complete n00bs at computers and would not need it.

My two cents :D

RE: Error when trying to Share a Folder by scott2010_h on 05-04-2007 at 11:56 PM

XP Home has networking capabilities. Thats why they have a wizard to make a network and the ability to share folders.
Fixed by MeEtc

RE: Error when trying to Share a Folder[Fixed] by MeEtc on 05-05-2007 at 02:25 AM

*fixed*
better post that new desktop I hooked you up with :P

RE: Error when trying to Share a Folder[Fixed] by scott2010_h on 05-05-2007 at 02:30 AM

The sweet new desktop MeEtc hooked me up with!

[Image: fixed.jpg]

Edit: He controlled my pc to fix the problem and when he fixed he drew that :P

RE: Error when trying to Share a Folder[Fixed] by Chris4 on 05-05-2007 at 02:40 AM

Hahaha :lol:
Remote Assistance is always fun.

RE: Error when trying to Share a Folder[Fixed] by MeEtc on 05-05-2007 at 02:41 AM

VNC actually