Shoutbox

msncore.dll - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: msncore.dll (/showthread.php?tid=74201)

msncore.dll by cheetahex2 on 05-06-2007 at 06:16 AM

I downloaded a skin but it didn't work 'cause it said I didn't have the msncore.dll. :sI looked it up in google but I couldn't find where to download it. Can anybody help me please??:D
Thanks in advance!(Y)

RE: msncore.dll by MattyRid on 05-06-2007 at 06:47 AM

which version of messenger are you using? and skin?

RE: msncore.dll by Sunshine on 05-06-2007 at 12:03 PM

If i were you i'd just restore your messenger (be it WLM or MSNM, you didn't say wich). To do that simply run the installer again and choose repair. When you get a skin make absolutely sure it's for your version of messenger.

RE: msncore.dll by absorbation on 05-06-2007 at 01:48 PM

Skins have never touched msncore.dll. MSN Messenger held its resources in the main executable (msnmsgr.exe) and Windows Live Messenger keeps its resources in (msgsres.dll). It would help a lot if you told us what version of MSN/ Windows Live Messenger you were using, and what skin you were trying to install.

Follow Sunshine's instructions, it will make sure all files Messenger needs are installed :).

RE: msncore.dll by CookieRevised on 05-06-2007 at 03:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
Skins have never touched msncore.dll. MSN Messenger held its resources in the main executable (msnmsgr.exe) and Windows Live Messenger keeps its resources in (msgsres.dll).
But skins (which are patches afterall) can corrupt the program which on its turn fails to load DLLs.
RE: msncore.dll by ipab on 05-06-2007 at 08:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
Skins have never touched msncore.dll. MSN Messenger held its resources in the main executable (msnmsgr.exe) and Windows Live Messenger keeps its resources in (msgsres.dll).
But skins (which are patches afterall) can corrupt the program which on its turn fails to load DLLs.

But the loading of msncore.dll has never been influenced by msgsres.dll... Screwing up something in msgsres.dll will still load all other dlls. For example, if someone messes up while re writing the uifile for the chatwindow (920) then messenger still loads. It will not load the chatwindow and refer to the fact that "A conversation could not be started with X contact". The worst someone can do is mess up the main window's uifile and even then messenger will still load (ie. you will see it in taskmanager and you will see a tray icon), it just wont show the main window.

Now if the skin is asking for an hexedit of msnmsgr.exe, then that's a whole different ball game, but as far as I know, resource editing, never did anything :P.

@cheetahex2
Like absorbation asked please tell us:

What skin you downloaded and could please post some system information.

As in what version of Messenger you use and what version of windows you have.
RE: msncore.dll by CookieRevised on 05-06-2007 at 08:54 PM

Not all skins are only limited to altering the resources dll. There are also skins which alter/patch the program. And even writing a resource in a bad way in the program file itself can influence the workings of internal code. Hence why I wouldn't rule skins out completely.

RE: msncore.dll by cheetahex2 on 05-06-2007 at 09:25 PM

Thank you all for your replies!:angel:
I forgot to add that I use WLM 8.1.0178 and MSN plus and I downloaded a Windows vista skin for that version. Anyways I think I better forget about it and download another one!(I)
Thanks again!!:bow:

RE: msncore.dll by ipab on 05-06-2007 at 09:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cheetahex2
Thank you all for your replies!:angel:
I forgot to add that I use WLM 8.1.0178 and MSN plus and I downloaded a Windows vista skin for that version. Anyways I think I better forget about it and download another one!(I)
Thanks again!!:bow:

In that case, have a look at this Announcement: Vista Live Messenger 8.1 comming soon, Willz and I are updating it!